Cape Point

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Cape Point

Post by ThysdJ »

We all drive 1000's of km's to visit far away places and neglect the tourist attractions in and around our own towns or cities. It was with this in mind that we decided not to go anywhere "exotic" or "far away" or "forrin" during our Christmas break.

On the morning 27 Dec we packed a big picnic basket brimming with the last left-overs from Chrismas lunch, (including trifle) and hit the road. Direction, Cape Point.

First stop Signal Hill. The view from there is always stunning, and we picked a perfect windless sunny day. The paragliders were out in full force. Just a bit expensive for my taste, R1200 per jump, but that includes a video, some photographs and a lift back to Signal Hill from the Sea Point Promenade. The whole jump/flight takes approximately 20 minutes. It does look spectacular though, and if money was no issue, I would be hanging at the bottom of that paraglider as well.

We did the touristy thing, took some photogtaphas with Table Mountain in the back-ground and then on our way down we came across one of our fellow Hiluxers, Jamiel just returning from a climb up the "koppie" (Lion's Head). We had a quick chat, and then headed off towards Hout Bay Harbour via Camps Bay and Llundudno.

We drove through Hout Bay harbour, but didnt get caught in any tourist traps, like Snoekies.. where you can buy the most expensive fish in Cape Town.

From Hout Bay it was up and over Chappies. This is still one of the most scenic drives in the world. R32 toll was paid, and along the way we pulled off at a picnic spot for some of our padkos. We had a fantastic little picnic, while watching the international tourist being bused in and out for a few photographs. There was a very visible cold front approaching, but the weather was balmy with no wind, and the sea flat as a mirror.

There were some roadworks due to mudslides and some of Chappies is closed to one lane traffic only so Stop/Go applies. That made the drive and the scenery worth every minute, because we had more time to look around and take it in. At Noordhowk/Sun Valley we encountered traffic again, but once we turned off to Kommetjie we were on our own again. The mist was coming in and Misty Cliffs was really misty and cliffy...

When we arrived at Cape Point we were in a long queue again. Looks like everybody wanted to spend the day at Cape Point. We decided that we would not let the crowds get us down, we waited our turn and once inside took a leisurely drive towards the restaurant and lookout point. Only problem was that we were headed off at Rooikrantz, and had to take a shuttle bus from there, as the parking lot at the top was full. We decided not to take the bus, but to rather take some of the scenic drives, which nobody ever gets to.

One of these little side roads is the one leading to Cape of Good Hope. Here we stopped and sat on the rocks eating our trifle, while the mist rolled in. It was still nice and warm and relatively windless.

We decided to climb the mountain and took the hiking trail to the top to have a different view of Cape Point. Although it is a steep climb, it was worth it completely! I have never been up there before in my life, and the view is really spectacular. And seeing Cape Point from a different angle is great. We didnt spend much time up at the top, but took a few pictures and checked out the scene a little and then climbed down again.

We decided not to even attempt to get up to the restaurant and lookout point as cars were still flooding in. Instead we took some of the other roads, and came across this Dias Padrao. Okay it is a replica, but still interesting.

We also drove down to the popular picnic spots, but they were overrun by other tourists having fun, so we decided to wave and carry on driving. We reached the gate after about and hour of driving around, ooo-ing and aaah-ing about baboons, proteas, fynbos, ostriches and the scenery in general. Outside the gate we turned right, direction Simon's Town. The roads got busier, and before we know it we were stuck in traffic going through Kalkies, St James and Muizenberg.

Once on the Blue Route it was highway home. and before we knew it we were back home. What a lekker day!! And on our way we found so many other little things that we can do next time when we do this! I think this is going to become a regular thing, at least once every 3 months or so!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Cape Point

Post by Niel »

Dit is n nice plek en n lekker dag trippie. :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Beautiful pics Thysie, I spent Christmas Day walking up an acid-filled Mine Dump, as these are the closest things resembling a hill in Klerkies. I took pics but unfortunately the acid consumed my camera before I got down...

Wonder if I would qualify for a discount on the Paragliding from Signal Hill, because there would be no need to fetch me from the Sea Point Promenade after I landed down a departing ship's funnel. Probably a bit more expensive for the the return trip from Shanghai, though. ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '02Hilux Raider 3.0 KZTE 4x4. Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland

Post by Sun Chaser »

A very nice trip Thys, one that many people in the area tends to overlook. We live in the Noordhoek area and love to take a drive thru there every now and then. No matter how often we take the drive, I am always in awe of the beauty of the landscape and the country we live in.
Nice one Thys.
Cheers Ian
ImageImageImageImageImage
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thanx for the nostalgic trip down memory lane as we have been there done that and fallen into the tourist traps and all, but that is all part of having been there and done that. Great memories though. We just stayed home with the leftovers.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Family_Dog wrote:Beautiful pics Thysie, I spent Christmas Day walking up an acid-filled Mine Dump, as these are the closest things resembling a hill in Klerkies. I took pics but unfortunately the acid consumed my camera before I got down...

Wonder if I would qualify for a discount on the Paragliding from Signal Hill, because there would be no need to fetch me from the Sea Point Promenade after I landed down a departing ship's funnel. Probably a bit more expensive for the the return trip from Shanghai, though. ;)

-F_D
:mocking: :lmao:

We do live in a beautiful country and thanks for sharing, think I need to do it again soon also, including the Garden Route which I last did about eight years back.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Dit lyk asemrowend!! :shock:

Sal dit ook eendag wil probeer, maar die been van my laat nie toe dat ek kan stap nie :slap: :frustrated:
Sal maar net vanaf die bakkie dit moet geniet ;-)
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Nice pics and trip report Thys, thanks for sharing.
Huismoeles
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: V8 Disco 1

Post by Huismoeles »

Nice

Dis waar
Jy vergeet van plekke op jou agter stoep 50km weg :dance1:
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Ja thys ek het die keer 1000s kms gery om die mooi plek van julle te sien,2570km om presies tewees, en dir is aowesome. Het van vryheid in natal af gery bloem , kimberley, witsand,augrabies pofadder deur tot op bitterfontein en dan al met die weskus af,my hart verloor op yzerfontien,tot in kaapstad. Kamp op die oomblik hier in belville vanwaar ons ry om alles te sien.
ImageImageImage
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Lekker man!!

Geniet dit hier in ons kant van die wereld :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jy moet foto's plaas van waar julle toer en kuier asb :beg:
Dis altyd lekker om ons stad te sien uit 'n ander se oogpunt
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for sharing Thys. Ons Vaalies wat by die huis sit kan darem so deur julle pics ook bietjie die see sien
To God be the glory
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

POLARIS13.jpg
(47.4 KiB) Downloaded 1337 times
Ek is die arme ou wat moet sorg dat die onkruid nie die paaie toegroei nie.

Eish ! Iemand moet die job doen. lol :lol: :lol:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

4x4BEES wrote:Dit lyk asemrowend!! :shock:

Sal dit ook eendag wil probeer, maar die been van my laat nie toe dat ek kan stap nie :slap: :frustrated:
Moet maar eendag kom saamry Kevin :thumbup:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

KOBUSL wrote:
4x4BEES wrote:Dit lyk asemrowend!! :shock:

Moet maar eendag kom saamry Kevin :thumbup:
:yahoo: :yahoo:
Sal definitief so maak oom Kobus :D: :clap: :thumbup:
Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Post by Tenk »

Lekker Thys, ja ons is bevooreg om talle sulke plekke in die Kaap te kan he. Daai bult boontoe is nogal n workout, maar die uitsig beloon jou.
Earth Wanderer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Noordhoek
Vehicle: Hilux Raider 3l KZTE 4 x 4

Post by Earth Wanderer »

This makes me long for summer time but for now I'm enjoying being an armchair traveler, viewing our beautiful land in your pics. Thank you :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImage

HILUX RAIDER 3L KZTE "GEM"
Iron Man Suspension with Air Ride
Alu Cab Canopy with Alu Cab RTT

Return to “Trip Reports”