Botswana 2018

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Botswana 2018

Post by george »

This year we decided to head out to Botswanna. Apart from Angola this is the other Southern African country we have never been to.We where a very small group only to vehicles and 4 people.
We would enter the Kgalagadi transfrontier park and then leave via Mata-Mata and enter Bots at East gate.Then to Maun,the Delta,Chobe and then home(via Gabs).Just a casual 6000km
Our friends that joined us on the trip had fancy cameras, so at the moment I only have photo’s of what I took with the phone. I will put up some more photos’ as I receive them.
12th of April
We left 06:00 the morning for the Kgalagdi lodge.This is 5km from the park entrance.
First day’s driving was just under 1000km.We experienced some serious thunder storms as we passed Upington. We reach the Kgalagdi lodge late the afternoon.
We set up camp.They have very nice camp sites.Each Campsit have their own abulutions.There is a nice concrete slab to put up your tent.For the life of me I do not know how you are suppose to put in the tent pegs.
The next morning we headed to the Park.We spent 2 days at Mata Mata.This was the greenest I ever saw the Kalahari.We saw a lot of animals
Attachments
1.jpg
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Botswana 2018

Post by george »

Some more pics of the Kalahari
Attachments
16.JPG
15.JPG
14.JPG
13.JPG
12.JPG
11.JPG
10.JPG
9.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.jpg
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

After 2 days in the Kgalagadi we went out of Mata Mata into Namibia. The border crossing was easy. From there we headed to Gobabis and stayed at East Gate rest camp.
The following day we headed into Botswana on our way to Maun.
Maun is a lively Town where you can get all your groceries for you trip. We bought some excellent Meat at The Meat Boys. One thing about Bots is that their beef is excellent quality.
Our first port of call was an Airplane Trip over the Delta. This was once in a life time opertunity and gave us a very good perceptive of the Delta.
That evening we stayed at Audi Camp.Very nice camp site for a stop over.

The next day we packed up and headed for the Delta.We were booked at Xaxanaxa camp site for 3 nights.
The road there was quit pleasant.A bit of corrugation to the park and once in the park it was a 2 track sand road.We went through 1st 2nd and 3rd Bridge.This was our welcoming party at Xaxanaxa
Attachments
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.JPG
11.JPG
10.JPG
9.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.jpg
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Mooi George

keep posting the fotos for us who cant go
your Prado is looking good ,what was the fuel consumption like

Martin
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Some nice pics and reporting so far George
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Baie nice George!!! Lekker Jaloers op daai trip.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yup, also jealous! :D: Nice pics so far (especially from a phone). You and Mari looking well. I like! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

mcw wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 pm ,what was the fuel consumption like
Martin
Hi Martin.
I dont like to talk about it :shh:

Just joking. Going into the Kalahari it was terrible.We where driving into a storm with a very strong head wind.It gave me 5-5.5 km/l.
After that it settled to 6.5-7.5 km/l on normal dirt roads.
There was a deep sand section in the Chobe heading to Savuti. There it went back to 5km/lt
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

We stayed 3 days at Xaxanaxa.I rate this as one of our best camp sites. We spent the days driving in the Delta and being lazy at camp.We did a Boat trip and this is one of the top things to do on the Delta.I rate this better than a game drive

Every day we had the camp inspector(Mr Ellie) just to make sure we are behaving.

From Xaxanaxa we headed to the Chobe.It was a tough drive from Xaxanaxa to Savuti.
We had to cross the Kwai River. Some folks we met told us it was a deep river crossing.At the end it was not that bad.Saying that, throughout our trip we always looked for the drier routes. We tried to miss all those deep mud puddles.

Here are some random pics of the Moremi and the road to Savuti. Hehe, the Prado had to do a recovery on the Triton. :mocking:

Savuti is a story on its own…..
Attachments
9.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Nice trip report so far.Keep it rolling George.
Bertus63

Post by Bertus63 »

Nice pics. Keep it coming. Looks likeyou had a awsome time.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

SO after an eventful trip we arrived at Chobe Mababe Gate. We booked in at the gate and signed all the formalities. We were advised to not take the Marsh Road since it was very wet. So we stayed to the left. Unfortunately all the animals were in the marsh so we did not see too many, but that was OK. We would meet wild animals soon enough.

As I was going through my photos I realised I didn’t take any on this part of the trip. So now I can only type about it.
After an enjoyable 2 track deep sand road we arrived at Savuti Camp. We had a big campsite to our selves.
We set up camp and made some food and had a few drinks. We had a nice fire going and watched the moon come up. To our excitement we heard a Lion Male Roar in the distance. Aaah, this is Africa. We all had this satisfied feeling as we headed to our tents for a peaceful night’s sleep.

Just to rewind a little bit. When we started planning the trip I was content with our Coleman Instant Ground Tent. Nice and light and easy to setup. The wife on the other hand was more inclined to a roof top tent. We travelled previously with a RTT and I know the Pros and Cons, BUT in the end after some discussions we opted for a RTT on this trip.

This specific evening everything about a RTT made sense. As we settled in for the night we heard the Lion’s roar constantly. Followed by the roar of another Lion in the distant. While we where listening the roars came closer and closer. You could hear how they were answering one another’s call. And jip you guessed it, the meeting point was our camp site. It was a surreal experience. As they met, they started off growling, not to sound too much like a drama queen, BUT it felt like the earth was shaking. Thinking back now it was probably just my heart skipping a beat.

For the rest of the night the 2 males where sniffing, purring and growling around our campsite. Eventually I and SWAMBO went to sleep. Did I mention that our friends in their ground tent never closed an eye lid…

The next morning we made some strong coffee. We met a game warden that showed us where the Lions’ footprints were around our campsite. Apparently the 2 that visited us were part of a group of 6. The week before they killed an Elephant and the last week they where mating. So in his own words:”They were hungry and tired. Don’t mess with them.”
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

From Savuti we headed to Linyanti.
It was a 2 track sandy road with some deep mud holes.

Linyanti is situated north of Savuti in a corner of the Chobe National Park.
Our Campsite was on the Linyati Swamp. This is a really nice campsite. Unfortunately the Mozzies is severe. So one has to take precautions.

We stayed 2 nights here. At this point we where a bit lazy and we stayed in camp. Making food and spent some time on running repairs on the vehicles.

Here is some random photos of the camp site
Attachments
7.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

From Linyanti we headed to Kasane. Again this was an awesome drive. We headed through the Chobe Park with the Chobe River on our left.
Kasane is a special place. Here the locals are living in harmony with the wild animals. Especially the Elephants. Here are corridors for the Elephants to get to the river.
We stayed at the Big Five Chobe Lodge. Their campsite is really good. You have your own ablution facility.We spent 2 nights here.
A must do is a boat trip on the Chobe River.This is a truly amazing experience.
We enjoyed Kasane a lot.Unfortunatly one you are in Kasane you are out of the Wilderness.
So with sad hearts we left Kasane to just outside Francis Town.We slept at Woodlands Stop Over and Lodge.This is a very stunning place and is more than just a stop over.
From Woodlands we headed back to RSA and on to Cape Province.

My recap on Bots:
This is an amazing country to travel in Arica.
It is safe and the people are super friendly.
My next trip will be to the Makgadikgadi pans
It is a bit far if you live in the Western Cape, if I lived in Gauteng this would be my playground
Attachments
IMG-20180428-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20180427-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20180427-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20180427-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20180427-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20180423-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20180423-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180413-WA0009.jpg
IMG_6413.JPG
IMG_6412.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6406.JPG
IMG_6405.JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

:thumbup: : Thanks for sharing
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Thanks for sharing ,looks like you'll had a great time .
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

Thanks for sharing, Botswana stay's my all favorite touring destinations.

Return to “Trip Reports”