Namibia 2011

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Namibia 2011

Post by Doctor V »

Well, after months of planning, trillions of questions, numerous visits to Allan, spending a
few pennies and viewing other 4X4's, the day of reckoning for Roeskol eventually arrived
Come Easter Friday morning we left Durbanville in convoy, loaded up with provisions for our
5 day desert trip and then 7 days in Henties Bay. Thus with 120 litres of water and
195litres of fuel and a few other provisions the wagaon was loaded to the brim.Luckily we
installed an extra leaf spring at the back thus not to many issues.
So off we set, covering the rear of the convoy enduring the "use the petrol pedal we are
only doing 90" jokes. Yes yes donkey she is a coming. But soon disaster struck. "flying" up
a hill close to Piketberg, the engine suddenly cut out and the car switched off. Cruising to
a halt next to the road I could already hear all the non-believers chanting "we told you
so"! The starter was swinging but no spark. Dial 911 Hoppy disturbing his Karma early
morning. Doing a few checks we figured out the rubbish immobiliser kicked in and cut all
power to the distributor. Doing my best at DIY wiring I bypassed the system and we had
ignition!!! Jippeee and thanks again Hoppy!!!!

Well, from then on we drove without a hitch, averaging about 110km/h with fuel consumption
up to 7km/l (again myself and Hoppy did a bit of tinkering on the carb before we left). Next
stop for the night was Grunau with a small stop at the border. Surprise surprise being
Easter Friday we spent an hour on SA side and 3 hours on Namibian side!!! Nucking futs! As
we eventually stopped at the Engen, it was early evening and the dangers of animals on the
road had set in. And then the heavens opened with a proper thunderstorm and we drove the 140
or so km's at about 80, with full lights and spots on, trying to spot any movement in the road, with water limiting our vision to less than 10 metres. Swambo was cursing softly and 1st thing she asked for was a stiff drink when we eventually reached our destination.

Small Canyon next to B1 between Grunau and Keetmans

Next morning we had clear skies, and set off for Solitaire via Maltahohe. At Maltahohe we
stopped to deflate tyres for the 170km's of dirtroad to Solitaire. Averaging initially 80 we
got to a nice cruising speed of 100(their dirtroads are better than some of our tar roads).
About 50km's from Solitaire we stopped to assist at an accident, the driver of a Pajero not
focusing for a split second, losing control in a mud puddle and rolling into a ditch. His
good luck angel was with him as he was alone and did not even wear a seatbelt. Our convoy
members gave him a very stern lecture, and after help was summoned, we left him to mull over
his mistake.

Upside down pajero

Lucky Really Lucky

Solitaire was in pristine condition with grass growing hip high, and animals like zebra and
gemsbok close to the road. Leaving Solitaire early, we set off for a point past Homeb, to
eventually enter the desert. We stopped at Kuiseb Canyon and the Henno Martin shelter,
appreciating the views. Stopping for lunch at Homeb (part of the Topnaar community area) we
set off to find a point we could cross the Kuiseb into the desert. We drove endless
kilometres, with recent rain causing the river to run 2-3 metres deep and 5-600 metres wide.
we eventually found a spot where we could safely cross, the river running only about a metre
deep but still about 400 metres wide. Walking the route a few times and then the guide 4.5
Cruiser eventually took the plunge. We followed in quick succession, keeping momentum, with
our wives marking the safe spots in the river. Cudos to them all in the cold water and
mud!!!

Camping spot at solitaire Guest Farm

Gaub river - debris about 5metre high in tree

Wild horses of Namibia

Sandstone hills

Solitaire - where is the desert?

We smell the 1st dunes on the other side of the Kuiseb

We set up camp on the 1st set of dunes and so the experience began in the desert - 5 days, 6
nights. After the safety brief (we had one every morning and evening) we set off the next
morning and within the 1st few kilometres we were presented with a 45 degree slipface with
axle twisters in the hole at the bottom and then immediately a climb after it. Hau!!!
Listening to advice we cleared it and the tone was set for the next obstacle. We did about
80km per day crossing dunes where sometimes we did 100m slipfaces every few metres crawling
down in 1st Low, changing to High at the bottom to gather enough speed to get to the top of
the next obstacle. Sometimes experience counted in my favor and we cleared large dunes,
where some of the bigger engined vehicles with novice drivers got stuck. In hindsight we
never got stuck on a dune requesting assistance. Sometimes we did a reverse, using a
different gear and off we went.

My office view

Lunchtime

Convoy travelling in Dune streets

Enjoying the view

Little slipface coming up

Dune colors

View of ocean from dunes above Langewand

Desert jackals following us every step

Visiting some very interesting spots in the Desert, going past a finger rock, Holsazia ghost
town, Eduard Bohlen, Conception Bay, Aircraft wreck, and loads more, the last day came to
soon. Wished I could turn around and redo the route, just enjoying the views and geology
more. But Lauberville was the end, with a small cross over the Kuiseb again back to
civilisation.

Kuiseb from the dunes

Finger rock

Conception Bay

Eduard Bohlen

Holzasia Ghost town

Left everything

This person did not make it

Aircrash

Wing

Disaster though struck the 2 Isuzu's during the crossing. the route was tested the night
before twice by us and was deemed sfe and the next morning again. Slowing down the 1st one
got bogged down and with water rushing, immediately was lying on it's chassis. The one
behind stoppped and try to pass the stuck vehicle, but veering off the route it got stuck as
well. Luckily both drivers kept the engine running. In this scenario it was actually funny
to see how drivers with 4x4 Recovery experience suddenly sprang into action. We did struggle
though trying to keep children and novices away from winches, snatch straps and shackles.
Using some verbal commands we eventually cleared all and started to work. 1st casualty was
my 9ton snatch strap snapping with a shotlike sound. After that spectators and kids
retreated way back, clips and pics were taken from way off, appreciating our warnings
initially. Eventually we winched one vehicle out, then airlift and highlift jacked the 1st
Isuzu to a point where we could winch it out. At all times we had bonnets open and kept way
behind the recovering vehicles.

Doctor V guiding recovery vehicle

Stuck Suzies

So after a night in Swakop, our tourgroup departed for Windhoek, with us leaving for Henties
for me to do a bit of fishing. I had a good time and within 4 days caught my legal
transportation/importation limits.

Numero uno steenbras

They just jumped in!

The weather made things interesting with loads of rain and large dams surrounding kilometres
of salt road. This though made things tricky when it rained causing the road to become 30cm
deep sludge. People on the trip laughed at my Kumho MT's but this was a blessing in disguise
as I was able to maintain speed and control in this sludge everytime it rained. The SFA
drove like it was on rails and while people were crawling I could merrily cruise at 100.
Full control!

Walvis Bay

Fishermans Pub about 30km's from Henties

OK - where is the road going?

Unlucky Trawler

Travelling back to SA we decided to sleepover in Solitaire and Grunau, travelling dirt road
only. Not only did this make for a very enjoyable and scenic trip back home, we got to see
much more than travelling in a convoy. The roads though were very tricky after 2 days of
near monsoon conditions and we did the 1st 100 or so km's driving in saltmarsh mud. Nice!
Leaving Walvis the road became better but we still had to be vigilant of where the road
washed away and standing water. Also some of the road crews covered mud holes with same
strata as dry road, so where I previously looked for the dark mud holes, now we hit some mud
spots at 100. Wheeeeee. I'm glad I honed some mud driving skills early in life otherwise I'm
sure we might have ended in the desert and I had no permit! :-)

Small dams on road

Few Gemsbok

We stayed over at Solitaire Guest farm, enjoying the views. Walter and Simone have big plans
for this place and expect to see a lot more of the Big Five very soon. Maltahohe and tar
roads came to soon and while the Roeskol looked like a digger at a new building site in
winter, she was still purring along, even giving me fuel consumption of 8km/l!!!! Imagine
the guy at Customs' face when he asked if I have anything to declare "Yessir, about 8-10
kilograms of mud!

Who needs a rear view anyway?

Offical color now brown and white

We had a quick brekkie at Noordoewer and I decided to fill up the wagon with cheap petrol
before coming back. Disaster again!!!! Bloody last part of immobiliser failed and cut off
ignition etc. After spending hours at Allans workshop I felt confident enough to remove the
covers on the steering column and dash and to remove the bloody immobiliser completely!
Keeping my cool I took it step by step and after 30mins had removed the black box and it's
wires, and connected the ignition again. Voila, started 1st time and I was soooooo impressed
that I tested it a few times before using insulation tape to make it neat (and after
figuring out the installers of the now defunct unit had broken some screws) just duct taped
the steering column covers together (also to not raise suspicion at the border)

Automotive Electrician 101

After our little escapade it was smooth sailing all the way back home.

Places we stayed at:

- Grunau Country House http://www.grunaucountryhouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Altus and his wife runs this place
and he is an ex-Capetonian. Rooms are neat and you can choose between just a room (with common ablutions) or one with bathroom. The bar is very cosy with good selection of spirits,
beers and wines. And good prices. The restaurant is also in a class of it's own and the Springbok fillet and Schnitzel is divine!!!!

- Solitaire Guess Farm http://www.grunaucountryhouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Walter and Simone Swarts run this
great establishment, with Anton and his wife the 2iC's. We camped at the site and also stayed a night in the rooms. The camping terrain is set among the thorn trees, with clean ablutions and power points. At night we could hear the jackals and other smaller animals browsing in the site. And don't leave stuff outside. The hand reared Springbok and Gemsbok on the yard might just take a nibble (they have names but I called them Biltong and Biltong 1).
The rooms are so well laid out you would think you are at a city 5 star establishment, not
Solitaire. There are 2 swimming pools, with decks giving views of the surrounds. The bar and
restaurant areas are well set and don't come here expecting some weight loss - I got stuck
in the Camelthorn Beer and kudu steaks!!!!!!

- Henties Bay. We rented a place through accomodation agents (we've used them before) and got a nice duplex in a security complex. The place can sleep 4 adults and 4 children(unless
your friends behave like kids) with 2 bathrooms, double garage, indoor and outdoor braais
etc etc. This place was called Oppie Duin. Place we stayed in last year was Kuiseb Kaias -
better than my own home with anything you can think of!!!

- Tour Operator Uri Adventures http://www.uriadventures.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here we were in the lucky
position where the senior guide and business owner Eben, and his Wife Marietha, led our
convoy. Also our good friend used to help them lead tours so we were in very capable hands.
The Delports are probably the most passionate people I have ever seen on any trail - we
joked that they should set up office in the desert rather since they are always leading
tours, educating us mere city folk on something so old and precious we cannot even
comprehend the extent of it. They are the most relaxed people and will share all their
knowledge - it's there for you to ask!!! The area they manage they do in conjunction with
the local Topnaar community, teaching them where required and helping create a sustainable
source of income for years to come

Vehicle: so you all know how much I doubted my bakkies' ability, even contemplating selling
it, with a lot of words flung in my direction. Thanks all for the guidance espcially ThysDJ
and Hoppy who made the choice easier. Items I learnt before and on this trip of vehicle

- If you install something, like a tank, dual battery etc, see if you can observe. This is
the easiest school of learning. If something goes wrong you would know where to start
looking and some simple checks might just solve that headache. before this trip my knowledge
of e.g. dual batteries was zero, but after rewiring it with a friend that do this regularly I would rate my level of knowledge as high.

- mechanically check your vehicle at least a month before the trip. It allows any parts or
broken items to be replaced and not a few hours before leaving. Do a shakedown and take it
through conditions you might encounter. This should show any issues. My vehicle though was
in tip top mechanical but the immobiliser dropped me twice. Yes, a fluke, but make sure that
you know how to bypass items like these.

- Extras: I carried 2 spare tyres as well as tyre repair kit. Then also petrol filters,
clutch and normal oil and belts. If you carry a spare clutch or something like that perhaps
set up something with your local spare store where you can return it if not used. But hey,
it's me. Fuelwise I carried 65 in main tank and 130 in auxillary. Then also 120 litres of
water, with 20 split in 5litre drinking water boxes (Cape Aqua)
We also carried small tent, sleeping bags etc. Then also mounted my Waeco fridge in cab,
where it purred merrily along with ice (and my bait) at -10. At night I set it to -5 to not
drain the batteries.

And that is it. Our group enjoyed it so immensely we already booked the 2013 trip!
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Namibia 2011

Post by Niel »

Nice man, raak ek nou jaloers
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Bitter Nice!! - Dankie vir die report :thumbup:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Great report and pics, Van!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Baie nice, bly julle het dit geniet
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent report and very well written with great illustrations!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dankie Omie Dokter, jy het 'n baie nice report geskryf, en welkom terug. Jou report het my ook nou in 'n diep depressie gelaat, aangesien ek hier moet sit terwyl ek eintlik daar wil wees. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lekker man, ek is bly die Roeskol het julle myle se ryplesier gegee. Nou wanneer koop jy die Cruiser? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

now this is a BRILLIANT report !

I think we crossed paths in the Southern parts of Namibia.

We were fortunate and got going on Thursday afternoon. Thus we were at the border by 11:00 on Friday - ONLY spent 1,5 hours on the Namib side ....
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

:thumbup:

Great report, glad you had a good time.

SFA Rules, why waiste money on newer vehicle which you won't be able to fix in the sticks :twisted:
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Lekker V.Bly om te hoor die 4Y het sy man gestaan.Lekker vissies
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Lekker man!!! :thumbup:

Dankie virri report.

SFA RULES!!!
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Thank you, what a nice report but now I don't feel that good
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Doctor V »

MMMmMMM Saturday morning and checking the pics again. Deeeepression!!!! Maybe I should kick my work habit and stick to a trip habit. Or a writing habit :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

JA BOET !!

gaan nou juis nuwe skoene op my Hilux laat sit, ry net na 8:00. nou sit en kyk ek weer hier ..... moet sommer direk van die tire shop af aanhou ry !!
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Doctor V »

Tempting!!!!!!!! jy kan dalk net na 4 by die grens wees met daai nuwe tekkies!
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Van Zyl

Thanks for an excellent trip report and the "places stayed" at the end. We are in the process of planning a similar trip and will definitely keep your listing in mind.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Ja, Nee...................werk is so 'n anker!! :lol:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Dankie, lekker gelees!
ImageImageImage
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Dit het my nou groot plesier verskaf. :yahoo: :yahoo: Was ook al in Namibie toe dit so gereen het. Heeltemal 'n ander ervaring. Jy is net 'n baie beter visserman as ek!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Doctor V »

Jislaaik maar ek wens ek was nou in Namibië - hier die koelerige lug en mis laat my dink aan die duine naby aan die see...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

was net so lekker mis in Luderitz ... :)

Nou HOE gaan ek nou verder konsentreer op werk .....
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: '02Hilux Raider 3.0 KZTE 4x4. Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland

Post by Sun Chaser »

Great Report :thumbup:
Im busy planning a trip for next month,2 weeks of just fishing from Swakop to Henties. What a place to relax and lots to see. :yahoo:
Thanx for all the great pics, SWAMBO and I are hoping to do a dune trip in the near future, glad you bakkie went well, I must say the dunes do make me nervous.
Cheers :beach:
Ian
ImageImageImageImageImage
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland
Modder
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: West Rand
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4

Post by Modder »

Baie nice report!

Ek kan nie meer wag vir my trip in Januarie nie!!
''Life is an adventure! Cheers!'' - Kingsley Holgate
Born to hunt, forced to work!
My hart is die bosveld, maar my gat is in die stad!!!
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Post by STAMPIE »

Ons ry DV Oktober weer Luderitz - Walvis. Jou skrywe maak my nou al lus vir pak!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bie nice report Doc! Ek het dit nou regtig geniet, dankie vir jou mooi beskrywings :thumbup: en pics!
wayneb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kuilsriver cape town
Vehicle: hilux DC 4X4 2.5

Post by wayneb »

Howzit , i am green with envy you seem to have had a fantastic trip all round , i will use some of your info on my trip to Namibia soon , thanks
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Yes Doc

Jis hoe lekker klink die trip, wil graag ook iets soortgelyks doen en dit afsluit met so
paar vars visies soos jy.
Die toergidse, wat is die prysklas vir so iets as ek mag vra?
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters

Return to “Trip Reports”