Sani Pass - April?

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Sani Pass - April?

Post by Family_Dog »

Guys, I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the ratrace for a weekend, say leave Thurs or Friday during the first week in April (4 or 5 April), do the Sani Pass and also Katse Dam over the weekend, return Monday, 7th April. But I do not know the Lesotho roads at all.

At the same time, I was wondering whether it's possible to tie this trip in with Luke's planned trip to Semokong. Any thoughts on this?
Sani - Katse GE smaller.jpg
Sani - Katse T4A small.jpg

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Sani Pass - April?

Post by ToyX4 »

Eric. I'm thinking exactly the same.
If Luke can only tell us if his trip is still on. I would then join him, and go from there to Sani.

But I'm still undecided. If I can get a place to take part in the Swazi Reg Raid tomorrow morning, I will do the Reg Raid.
If not, I will go to Lesotho.
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan,

Well, keep your options open! Will be great having you along and we're better off with two (or more) vehicles.
image010.jpg
image012.jpg
image023.jpg
The photos above were taken by my Business partner, at about this time last year.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Fdp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 97' 2.8Dt Hilux DC

Post by Fdp »

I've done the Sani last year in May and the timing was good. The weather was still nice for that part of the year. We left Pretoria the Friday morning and slept over in Mooirivier. The next morning we left early and took a 70km dirt road to the start of Sani. The taring did not start yet and we went up slow with very little traffic and a lot of time to take photo's. We had a late lunch and then went through Lesotho to exit at Fouriesburg and slept over in Bethlehem. From there we were heading home and were back in P-town Sunday afternoon.
A lot of driving in that 3 days but worth every minute.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Eric, I do not really want to go alone. At least one other vehicle must accompany me.
I have to find out the requirements for the Reg Raid. If I have to spend alot of money to participate, I'll rather spend it on a weekend to Lesotho.
I'll probably decide before sunset on Monday(tomorrow) and let you know.

Now I'm not going to sleep tonight :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

F.D I would recommend the following: Rule no 1 - Never look at the distances in kilometers when you plan your trip. Everything in Lesotho works in hours drive. 2 - Fuel up at every possible fuel station. You will never know if fuel is available at the next town. 3 If you want to go to Semonkong in the same trip I suggest you avail yourself a day or two extra to make it worthwhile. 4 Remember it is Africa everything can happen :D

Sani top to Katse will take you about 6 hours to drive
Katse to Semonkong will be another 6 hours. The main roads are not so bad but if you decide to go off road it will be onother story.

Which I could join you for a Sani top Special drink :wink:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kokstad KZN
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD6, Prado VX 3.0D4D

Post by Ramkat »

[quote="Family_BullDog"]Guys, I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the ratrace for a weekend, say leave Thurs or Friday during the first week in April (4 or 5 April), do the Sani Pass and also Katse Dam over the weekend, return Monday, 7th April. But I do not know the Lesotho roads at all.

Eric, be sure to make a fuel stop here by me in Kokstad.Engen Mount Currie 1 Stop.We're about 140km away from Sani Pass.We did Sani Pass to Katse dam in 2006.Lots and lots of driving, and not very exciting if you stay on the main roads.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

I'm in Eric.

Will it be able to maybe do it just the following weekend? If not it won't be a train smash if we go the weekend you are planning on going.
ImageImage
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Family_BullDog wrote:Guys, I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the ratrace for a weekend, say leave Thurs or Friday during the first week in April (4 or 5 April), do the Sani Pass and also Katse Dam over the weekend, return Monday, 7th April. But I do not know the Lesotho roads at all.

-F_D
Howzit F_BD

You first need a bakkie to start toying with getting away ideas.
:mrgreen:
Maybe you can borrow one of Bennie's bakkies....hehehe
:wink:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Howzit F_BD

You first need a bakkie to start toying with getting away ideas.

Maybe you can borrow one of Bennie's bakkies....hehehe
I'm afraid to go visit Bennie with my lux. I think it might just get stuck, even with lockers :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan,

From my side, I don't foresee any problems with delaying by a week, but after that it becomes dicy for me. I will just have to confirm whether accommodation is available.

Robert,

I would like top see your co-ordinates, but only half are showing. I think we have reached the limits of this forum for a post. Could you perhaps save your Mapsource file and send it on to me, probably Zip it first if it's large. You should be able to save it as "(name of file).gdp" in the File Menu of Mapsource. My email: familydog_hilux4x4(dot co.za) or alternatively, familydog _ gmail(dot com) (replace the - with @ and remove the brackets).

Ewald,

Don't tell Bennie, but I have a trick up my sleeve... :P

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Eben & Jack,

So the route from top of Sani Pass to Katse Dam and back to Sani is not viable in one day. Should one rather overnight at Katse and return the next day, or possibly use another route from Katse to return to SA? Would you have any other suggestions for overnighting the one night? I've heard that the Lesotho lodges are not that good.

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

O.k Eric. I would prefer the second weekend of April. But this is your thing, so if you prefer the first weekend, it would also not be a problem for me.
I'm glad though that I do not have to go alone, but with at least one other vehicle.

You've got mail, Eric.
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Robert,

Sorry Bud, I had to delete the message. I think you had intended posting a track or trail picture, but in it's wonderful ways, Cyberspace translated it to 9980 lines of text :shock:

It looked like this:
Hi

here is a track that we did sept 2007 maybe it will help
pic and mapsource info
1 10/25/2007 3:03:36 AM 1577 m 587 m 0:00:18 117 km/h 180° true S26 37.211 E28 23.320
2 10/25/2007 3:03:54 AM 1562 m 672 m 0:00:21 115 km/h 179° true S26 37.528 E28 23.323
3 10/25/2007 3:04:15 AM 1544 m 706 m 0:00:21 121 km/h 179° true S26 37.890 E28 23.330
etc.... to 9980 lines)
I couldn't open the page in Firefox, it timed out on my ADSL, but it did open eventually with Internet Explorer. I would love to see a picture or Mapsource reference of what you did, I can open your file from a .gdp file and then view i on Google Earth too.

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

ToyX4 wrote:O.k Eric. I would prefer the second weekend of April. But this is your thing, so if you prefer the first weekend, it would also not be a problem for me.
I'm glad though that I do not have to go alone, but with at least one other vehicle.

You've got mail, Eric.
Riaan,

Tomorrow I'm off to the Northern Cape, so guess I won't be around to follow up on this tomorrow (Tuesday). Let me contact the lodge at Himeville and see how their bookings are for both the first and/or second weekend in April, and we'll take it from there. We've received some good info from the chaps on this forum, let's get more ideas before making final decisions. I agree, safety in numbers and all that.

-F_D

Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Eric first of all welcome to the N/Cape. 8) Where will you be visiting :?: Ok you will not be able to drive to Katse and back in one day and I will not recommend it anyway. If I were you I would have done it in two ways. Option 1... Drive from Klerksdorp to Himeville. There are a lot of places to sleep over. Next morning drive up the Sani and have a drink at Sani top pub. From there you drive to Katse dam and stay over at Katse lodge ( They have hotel ; bungalows and guest house accomodation) Do the dam wall tour the afternoon 15H00. Next day drive to Lejone from the dam wall along the gravel road next to the dam. From Lejone take the off road 4x4 route to the main road (I think the A3) Look at the lesotho map and T4A and you will see it.

This road will take to the highest pass in Lesotho and when you join in the main road (tar) to Butha Butha you can also visit the "Kome caves" From the caves it is just a few km to the kaledon poort border post at Fouriesburg. From here you can drive back or stay another night somewhere on the way should you want to.

Option 2 will be to drive day one from Klerksdorp to himville and up the Sani pass and sleep over at Sani top charlets. ( I was not very impressed by the Sani top as I have expected it to be much better but keep in mind it is Lesotho) Any place in Lesotho where you have warm water and electricity is 5 star :lol: Day two leave from Sani top to Katse and visit the damwall and do the tour. From Katse drive to Lejone on the gravel road that is runing all the way next to the dam and sleep over at the Umbrella lodge in Lejone. Very easy to find next to the Vodacom tower. We slept at the Lejone guest house next to the Umbrella lodge but that is not recommended for a group of people. If you are 2-4 bakkies it will be fine as only 4 bungalows had running water and toitets in Sept 07. However the Umbrella lodge looks 5 star and very modern so I would say you book there. ( Have a look at the dam where they feed and breed fish in round nets)
From Lejone take the 4x4 route to the A3 main route again as explained in option 1. You can not visit Lesotho and not drive a bit of lekker 4x4 while you are there 8) Exit Lesotho at Caledon poort Fouriesburg and you are on your way back home.

This will be how I would have done the short visit and this route will let you see a lot of Lesotho. Let us know what you have decided at the end of the day.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kokstad KZN
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD6, Prado VX 3.0D4D

Post by Ramkat »

So the route from top of Sani Pass to Katse Dam and back to Sani is not viable in one day. Should one rather overnight at Katse and return the next day, or possibly use another route from Katse to return to SA? Would you have any other suggestions for overnighting the one night? I've heard that the Lesotho lodges are not that good.

Eric,

Not a good idea to try and do it in one day!

Here is some info from our trip in Aug 2006.
Attachments
SANI TOUR distances.doc
(24 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
SANI TOUR 2006.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jack & Eben,

Eben, we had a meeting with the good folk at Sishen Mine in Kathu today, got back about 15 minutes ago, and I'm pretty much bushed right now - it's a long way!

The idea is to then possibly stay over at a lodge near Himeville Friday night, and then at Katse Dam Saturday night. From there, one of the choices suggested. I am in Potch most of tomorrow, but hopefully will be able to work out the routes on Thursday, when Riaan & I are hoping to get together for this purpose.

Your assistance and good advice is appreciated.

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Eric, can we rather meet next week Monday or Tuesday?

BTW, will you be taking Bulldog on this outing?
ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ToyX4 wrote:Eric, can we rather meet next week Monday or Tuesday?

Dit is nou as Bennie hom toelaat :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

CasKru wrote:

Dit is nou as Bennie hom toelaat :twisted: :twisted:

Vra maar net mooi Eric, Bennie is 'n baie nice ou...

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Dont go there

Die ou wat die distributor mod moet doen (engineering werk) hou my al vir 2 weke aan 'n lyntjie :evil: :evil: :evil:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

En ek raai jy is aan die einde van joune?! :twisted:
To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Toemaar Eric en Bennie,

Toe ek die SUPRALUX laat bou het, het ek later my hare uit my kop uitgetrek. Die gewag maak mens gek...
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan,

Sorry for only replying today. My trip to the N. Cape on Tuesday & then yesterday a full day meeting at Pooikiestroom are taking valuable network time from me :twisted:

We can - I am busy with a Tender doc that closes on Wednesday next week, but they have just changed the requirements, so I am starting it again, but I'm sure we could enjoy a half-hour chat or so. You not coming to Klerksdorp this weekend at all, perhaps?

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

I'm not going to Klerksdorp this weekend.
We could rather wait till after Wednesday then, so you can finish the tender.
I'll be in Klerksdorp alot next week, so you just say when suits you best.
ImageImage
Cedric
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodeport
Vehicle: 1985 Hilux D/C

Post by Cedric »

A five to six day exploration Lesotho trip rollout for us last year April. First night Fouriesburg. ( De Aarc Lodge) Over the border at Caldons poort to Butha Buthie (?) fill up with petrol thru Pitseng up that huge awsome pass (10,0 feet) to the Katse, down to the Katse, second night. Back over to Butha Buthie, fill up again, onto Oxbow Lodge ( third night) the following day onto Sani via Mogotlong.
Over night at Sani pass Lodge & down the next morning to Himeville with two nights in the area flyfishing ( what a flyfishermans heaven), then back to Jhb.
General info; Cool but no snow; At high altitudes the old '85 SFA D/C 2.2 was light on petrol. We travelled most of the time in 4WD to spread the work load as the tar roads are steep ( 2;1) & after Oxbow are potholed. The dirt roads are fine. I would do it again but it would be better to go in convoy as there is no assistance available in any form. The amount of SFA there are unbelievable & I felt if we broke down mine would definately make for spares ( one under every bush concept..) cheers
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Always wanted to do Sani Pass but with them tarring the pass it will most proably be all done when I get to that part of the world again :roll:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Always wanted to do Sani Pass but with them tarring the pass it will most proably be all done when I get to that part of the world again :roll:
Niel, them tarring the road surface up the Sani pass will make it easier to drive up/down, but it will not detract from the absolutely fan-bloody-tastic awesome scenery... In actual fact it will give you more time to enjoy the surroundings. We went up there in winter 2005, and I had to concentrate on the driving so much, that I missed out a lot on a lot of the other nice stuff, which I only saw at home on the video we took.... :shock: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thys, ek hoor jou en stem saam maar daar is net iets anders aan n pad en omgewing as hy nie geteer is nie :)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

s'true my broe.. but the prettyness stays... I just love the Drakensberg.. as a matter of fact I smaak sommer any old mountain.. 8) :shock:
Thys de Jager

Niel

Post by Niel »

Ten minste het ons die groot tafel en ons kan hom nie drink nie net op hom :lol: :lol: Stem oor die Drakensberg very very nice :D
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Shame Niel, die woorde "Tafel" en "Drink" is baie na aan mekaar verwant vir jou, nie waar nie? :roll: :shock: :twisted:
Amper soos " :roll: Stormers" en "Verloor" vir die mense van hier onder :twisted: :twisted: :?: :?:
Thys de Jager

Niel

Post by Niel »

Jy weet dan meneer :lol:
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Bulldog i mailed you a mapsource file ,probably to late sorry ,but sent it anyways ,if you are there now enjoy it if not and still going look at the mapsource file and consider doing it ,3 days and a lot of fun ,im doing it again end of April ,but up sani sleeping at the top 3km past the pub,from there on to mogotlong and then to potseng for another sleep in the mountains ,next day to katse sleep there and then to lejohje then up to afriski and oxbow and from there to the border .

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Robert,

We went up the Pass on Saturday, good weather. We took our time and allowed the guys who were in a hurry to pass us where it was safe to do so. We stopped and took plenty of photos as well. We then spent some time at the Pub, walking around and chatting to some of the Tour Leaders. Time caught up with us, the Lesotho Border Post was no problem and their Officials were friendly, but the stuffy SA Border post personnel were certainly not friendly. I could not even raise a smile from the lady on duty.We arrived there about half an hour before closing time. They processed our Passports, but seems like they were doing us a big favour in doing so.

We had originally planned to go up the Pass again early on Sunday and exit at another Border Post but the weather in Himeville turned very chilly and overcast overnight and on Sunday morning, so we figured it was not worth while going up under those conditions, would be difficult to see very much with all the cloud cover and probable mist. But, next time...!!

BTW, is it customary to have to pay R20 at the Lesotho Border Post, or did they simply see an opportunity?

-F_D

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

Hi

Sorry i didnt get the info to you in time ,so you only went up sani and came down ,next time you should go further.i know weather changes very quickly.
Last time i went up it was very misty ,but that made the traveling up for us more interesting .could only see about 10m infront of you ,next day it was open
again.
As long as you enjoyed it .
I think they took a chance ,unless it went up from last year oct,but i doubt it ,we paid R2 each at the Lesotho border and nothing at the SA side ,every time i went up
Lesotho officials were the more friendly ones ,and SA not to bad ,could be that is was just one of those times that you were helped by the not to friendly one of the lot .

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Welcome back Eric.

I take it you're busy resizing the photo's :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

When are they starting/finishing the tarring of the pass. I thought it was a rumor, but now I see it's for real.

Would like to go up at least once before they tar.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

David,

They have been busy for about two years "preparing" the existing gravel road that leads up to the Sani Pass, not really much progress to be seen there although there are trucks & graders all over the show. This is a relatively flat road in any case, nothing out of the ordinary. Image

Once you start climbing, there is no road work to be seen, although we did find some machinery parked in 'no man's land", between the two border posts. Image

My thoughts are it is unlikely that they will ever tar the Sani, there are too many hairpin bends and the track is narrow. I think they will probably just maintain the dangerous sections as neither government really wants more loss of life in tragic accidents and leave most of the Sani as is. Image

The entire route is easy to drive with just the last seven or eight kilometres being really steep and winding. We found no tricky parts but I wouldn't really recommend anyone attempt this in a 4x2 bakkie, even with diff-lock, because, although they would make it to the top of Sani (in normal weather, not when it snows or rains), they would do more damage to the environment. Image

Photos 2 and 4 are still shots from the Cam Corder, hence the lack of quality, plus we were a-bouncin' a-plenty!

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

More photos...

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The cottage on the Dieu Donne Dairy Farm, at which we stayed Image

and the view from the Cottage

White Fang did very well and got us there and back safely (See more about this below)

The sign at the SA Border Post

During the return trip on Sunday, we were driving between Lindley & Kroonstad. The road was clear with the occasional car coming our way. At one section of the road, five vehicles came towards us. Without warning, an old Mercedes Benz pulled out of the approaching traffic to overtake a Corolla. We were travelling at 120Km/Hr and had to take evasive action - there was no time to brake. Jacques was driving while I was fiddling with my cell phone, so I never even saw this all happening, until he remarked something most uncomplimentary about the other driver. We swerved off the road onto the verge, two wheels on tar, two wheels on gravel while this idiot shot through the now-open gap. The Corolla driver pulled completely off the road. Don't know why this idiot decided to swerve into our path, we had our lights on and we were the ones driving due West, so he had no excuse for not seeing us.

This section of road is very narrow and has many potholes, but these are easily seen except when the road is wet. But White Fang got us through safely, I'm sure with lots of assistance from Up Above, and we arrived home safely about two hours later, tired, but most satisfied with the trip. Will we go again? Oh, most definitely, and this time even deeper into Lesotho, when we have more time for a trip like this. We kept off the N3 as much as possible and took a most scenic route through the Eastern Free State through Fouriesburg, Clarens, Winterton & Bergville. It's a long trip from Klerksdorp and one ideally needs two days to enjoy the scenery along the way, as we ran out of daylight in both directions, to & fro.

-F_D

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

Posting more photos of Sani trip
Attachments
First night camping spot
First night camping spot
On Top
On Top
More mist ,halfway
More mist ,halfway
Going up Sani
Going up Sani

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

more photos
Attachments
2nd night
2nd night
Close to Mogotlong
Close to Mogotlong
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

More pics
Attachments
DSC05139-web.jpg
Inside dam wall
Inside dam wall
Katse Dam wall
Katse Dam wall
DSC04973-web.jpg
DSC04956-web.jpg

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

And last ones for now
Attachments
DSCF0567-web.jpg
DSCF0560-web.jpg
DSCF0557-web.jpg

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Robert,

Seems you had some really cold weather the day you were there (photo #2). It was warm when we arrived, but became very nippy after an hour or so. They say you can get all four seasons in one day high up in Lesotho, I can believe that! :mrgreen:

-F_D

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Optimus Prime »

Yes Eric

was very cold as you can see we all wore recovery kit gloves and what not ,but as you said all seasons at the same time
2 km further where we setup camp it was better again ,until night .

Return to “Trip Reports”