Namibia for first timers_Sep/Oct 2011

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Re: Namibia for first timers_Sep/Oct 2011

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

We went to check out the camp site on the point. We had been warned of being blown away here. Only one camper in site...in a caravan, and literally nothing else. also evidence of some shady business here at night, so we opted not to camp here and went looking in the town for some alternatives. Not before getting a good view of the bay..
TR_158.jpg
TR_159.jpg
Found a lovely place to stay with some locals and the lady at the information as well as our hosts both told us to go eat some oysters at the oyster farm in the harbour...for the life of me can't remember the name of the place...but if you are in the area...you have to go!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Really really good and cheap oysters!!! And a lovely restuarant in the factory. Does tours and tasting in the day and at night it's a restuarant.
Just googled it...called Shearwater Oysters :thumbup:
TR_160.jpg
TR_160.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
TR_161.jpg
TR_162.jpg
Now I want to go back again!
So after stuffing oursleves with their lovely oysters, and prawns and chocolate truffle deserts :sick: We were off to bed to do the tourist thing in the morning.
TR_163.jpg
More diamond stories and tales of treachery and deceit...and very interesting history as well. My father grew up working along the entire Namibian coast, and this place has history in our family. Not by birth, just by time.
Off to do the tour :thumbup:
TR_164.jpg
If it ain't broke...it don't have enough functions yet...

C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

Here are some of the pics from the tour of Kolmanskop.
TR_165.jpg
TR_166.jpg
TR_167.jpg
TR_168.jpg
TR_168.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Guess who hated School... :lol: :laugh2: :lmao:
TR_169.jpg
TR_170.jpg
The still relatively pristine bowling alley in the main house
TR_171.jpg
And the finger plant...that has a much naughtier name in Afrikaans.. :mocking:
TR_172.jpg

C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

PAUSE :lol:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

C.R.Gillmans wrote:PAUSE :lol:
Press.....
video-play-button-layer.jpg
video-play-button-layer.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Ons gaan 10/11 Jan.......... in Walvis wees na al die foto's kan ek nie wag nie. Baie mooi..... :thumbup:
C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

This has got to be the best looking Nedbank I have ever seen....from the outside obviously :laugh2:
TR_173.jpg
TR_173.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
After the Kolmanskop tour we continued to do the tourist thing and took a drive to Diaz point and went to check out the cross, and then took a drive through down all the bays south of diaz point! :thumbup: A really cool drive and a place with some serious 4x4 terrain!!! Some guys bring some seriously modded crawlers out here to test their wheel articulation....again, this is a part of the trip with a massive blank spot when it comes to photo's :dash:
The road to Diaz..
TR_174.jpg
TR_175.jpg
TR_176.jpg
Very cute and rustic little coffee shop on the point...we didn't stop for coffee, as we packed in beer and padkos :drinks:
TR_177.jpg
The cross...
TR_178.jpg
TR_178.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
TR_179.jpg
Back to the house to braai and to get our padkos ready for an early departure.

C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

Up pre-sunshine to pack and make our way back to Aus to spot the wild horses! :excited:
Leaving pre sunrise got us a few more beautiful sunrise shots....
TR_180.jpg
TR_180.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
and some moon set shots too!
TR_181.jpg
TR_181.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Beautiful!
TR_182.jpg
And then on to the watering hole to see the horses. We were blown away by the amount of horses there, and it was amazing to see how the different hers interact with each other and to see the definite pecking order there. Not to rant on too much about it, but it was good to see and we spent about two hours watching them playing around the area...
TR_183.jpg
TR_184.jpg
TR_185.jpg
A bit of cultural diversity too. :lol:
TR_186.jpg
TR_187.jpg
:thumbup:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Paint 123.jpg
Paint 123.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A bit of cultural diversity too. :lol:
TR_186.jpg
TR_186.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
If they start sharing more than water, we might get our unicorn back! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Namibia for first timers_Sep/Oct 2011-(Finally)

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

Been gone from here for too long, and won't waste time with lame excuses.....have to post the last few pics to close out this report, because the next one is coming real soon!
So after leaving Aus and the wild horses behind we took a long stretch of tar before turning onto the C12's gravel road, and I made use of this section (the tar that is) to catch up on some z's ;-)
After turning onto the "real" road again, we spotted this wild horse...running like mad past Seeheim!
TR_187.jpg
One of the things that we learned while in this beautiful country is how the conservancies are set up and how they are owned by the people and how that gives them something to feel proud about and also something that belongs to them. No wonder so much of Namibia is so amazing. There are also loads of private conservancies and a lot of these places are truly breathtaking. On our way to the Fish River Canyon, we passed through another one of these private ones...
TR_188.jpg
And not long after that, drastic scenery changes...Neither my wife nor I have ever seen anything remotely like the Fish River Canyon and were looking forward to it, and steadily the surrounding started to indicate that we were heading in the right direction (that and the map of course!)
These little guys are everywhere! Sprinbok biltong to South Westers must be the equivalent to bokkoms to a west coaster :D:
TR_189.jpg
Strangely I felt like I was ridding a horse and being chased by indians all of a sudden...
TR_190.jpg
It was really really hot and because we set off so early, we made it to our overnight location pretty early...another one of the gondwanna collection campsites, and again it didn't disappoint....camping fees totally reasonable, and another brilliantly themed reception, restaurant and shop!!!
TR_191.jpg
TR_191.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
Did I mention I have a "thing" for tractors...
TR_192.jpg
The amazing bar where we spent quite a while cooling down :beach:
TR_193.jpg
We spent the early afternoon setting up camp, and regardless of the heat I have to make a fire when I camp...have to! We were again treated to a magnificent sunset.
TR_194.jpg

C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

So after an early lunch and awesome sunset, we decided it was time to have a bit of a late snack and something to drink!...Very happy to see one of our local west coast wines on offer and ordered it straight away as it is one of our favorites. :thumb up:
TR_195.jpg
TR_195.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Don't know who enjoyed the wine more...the camera lady or her subject :laugh2:
TR_196.jpg
Then off to bed for another early start as we were excited about seeing the canyon.
On the road again and we entered from this side
TR_197.jpg
Pictures can not come close to conveying how truly unique this geographical feature is, so I won't try load all my "artistic" attempts with the camera...just the good old postcard view
TR_198.jpg
On the road again....and then we saw Namibia's very own table mountain :wth:
TR_199.jpg
Next stop..
TR_200.jpg
This has got to be the harshest soccer field I ever seen :shock:
TR_201.jpg
We weren't planning on staying at the springs, but almost changed our minds after strolling around there.
TR_202.jpg
But we decided to stick to the plan and keep heading south to the border, because had already been gone almost 4 weeks and wanted to get home to our child....Daisy dog!

andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

dis baie great
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
C.R.Gillmans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by C.R.Gillmans »

For some reason, I can't find the photo's of the stretch between Ai-Ais and the orange river :beg: But it is stunning and we both enjoyed the drive.
You seem to drive downhill at a steady pace and then all of a sudden we got our first views of the river....and the most beautiful informal settlement I've ever seen.
What a contrast to have all these reed huts alongside some of the most beautiful export farms around!
TR_203.jpg
As hard as I tried I couldn't get my wife to join me at the local for a dop....i thought it was a fabulous idea
TR_204.jpg
That evening we spent at the Noordoewer lodge, just about 2-3km before the border, and although not the cheapest, I must say that the service was excellent and the rooms are really really nice...
TR_205.jpg
This was the first time I have seen this, and thought it was brilliant.
TR_206.jpg
That evening I had the sobering realization that our trip was over when i logged on with the local wifi and found work emails asking me where the h#ll I was as I was supposed to fly two days ago!!! :thumbdown:
So the following night we decided to move that little step closer to the border. I can't remember the place's name, but it is where we stayed the previous times crossing the border too...the lodge right next to the BP petrol station?
Well anyway, here we made a life long friend...one of the cutest puppies I've seen in a while...
TR_207.jpg
He spent the night with us in our room and was very thankful for the aircon for a change :mocking:
Then one last stop before the bee line home....I keep forgetting that it isn't BP over there
TR_208.jpg
And that is that. Thanks to all who took the time to read and I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. I look forward to sharing our following trip and trail reports...I just gotta get a bit more organized with the photo filing system :idea:

Return to “Trip Reports”