Transkei Advice

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Redlum
Town: Gillitts
Vehicle: 87' Hilux SFA D\C

Transkei Advice

Post by Redlum »

Hi All

I am travelling from Durbs to Mossel Bay in Jan for a holiday and i am looking for some advice.
On the way there i will be going through the Karoo but on the way back was planning to travel through the Transkei.

I have heard recently that the roads in the Transkei are very bad in places and should be avoided. Has anyone heard anything about this?
I have travelled the Transkei many times and am aware of how their roads normally are.
Just trying to decide if i should plan my return trip back through the Karoo or rather chance the Transkei.

Unfortunately not using my Hilux for this holiday due to petrol costs and the availability of a diesel tdi (fuel paid for). Because of this i need to consider the road conditions...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i need to plan and book overnight stops asap.

cheers
Liam
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Re: Transkei Advice

Post by Buff »

As long as you're travelling in daylight you shouldn't have a problem, just take it easy. Stay off Transkei roads at night though, animals and potholes are a beeg problem :shock:
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If you're travelling along the N2 you should have no serious road condition problems. As mentioned I would avoid night travel through there for safety sake. I would also avoid stop overs .... rather sleep over at Port Shepstone / Margate on the KZN side, and then depending on how much distance you want to cover, EL / PE or one of the resort towns / villages south of the Kei on the E/cape side. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Liam, I did a Cape Town - Durbs dash on the N2 last week. There are some short stretches of road works in the Butterworth area but apart from that the road is a pleasure - pity I can't say the same about the drivers around there. Just be aware that the the N2 passes through the centre of the town in the old Transkei. The traffic is mayhem as you go through. Reminds me a little of the traffic in Dar es Salaam, just not as orderly!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.

Return to “Trip Reports”