Eland's Bay Breakaway Weekend

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Eland's Bay Breakaway Weekend

Post by ThysdJ »

We did a little outing this weekend that has been on the card for years. Carlo and I took our (new) Vigo's for a run up the West Coast to see how they compare. Carlo drives a 2006 4.0 V6 and I drive a 2010 3.0 D4D. We were booked in the Eland's Bay Hotel, sea view rooms with "on"-suite bathrooms. Eland's Bay also holds a few blurry memories from the past when I was still a surfer-boytjie with a Kombi panel van, some of that suntan oil that smelt like coconut, and too much time on my hands...

Our excursion started on Saturday morning with a trip to Blouberg to pop in at Gideon's house and to collect some Bushman's insect repellent that he was so kind to "import" for us from Aussie-land.

We hit the West Coast road in search of somewhere to have a nice breakfast, and decided to stop in at the Weskus Plaasstal. Se sat outside in the shade while we had a well prepared breakfast and a few cups of coffee.

Next we hit the road, and I must say, the air-con is working brilliantly. Fuel consumption is also not too shabby, and when we reached Velddrif, we stopped next to the sea to enjoy some of the scenerey and to compare notes.

From Dwarskersbos things became interesting. Roadworks, with Stop/Go areas and everything. We were diverted onto the Spoornet service road that runs alongside the Sishen/Saldanha line. Once we were on the Spoornet road, we stayed on it, all the way to Bobbejaansberg, just outside Eland's Bay.

At the point where the mountain runs into the ocean is a cave. Well not a kango Caves kind of cave, more like a rock overhang with a fantastic sea view. Seems like the local Bushman population of about 10 000 years ago also liked the view, as there are some very well preserved rock art on the walls of the cave. Unfortunately some uneducated modern humans saw it fit to also add their rock art!! Line them up and shoot them at dawn!!

We left the cave and headed out to the hotel, a few km's away.

On our way we drove under the Sishen/Saldanha iron oar train... These trains are really long, and the line is busy, with at least 1 train every hour, if not more.

We booked in and unpacked. It was a little windy, but we went and sat on the lawn under the imrellas and had a few beers anyway. Bobbejaansberg from our hotelroom window.

At about 18h00 we left for the Muisbosskerm near Lambert's Bay to have a seafood feast. And what a feast it was. We stuffed ourselves on freshly braaied angel fish, yellow tail, kingklip, calamari, hake, soetpatats, various potjies, from afval to tamatiebredie, home made bread, plaasbotter and jams, koeksisters, coffee and much much more.The staff was very friendly and made us feel right at home. Even the barman decided that he didnt need to use a tot measure to pour our drinks.. so a single became a double in the blink of an eye!!

The next morning we woke early with the sound of waves breaking on the beach. Wonderful!! Eland's Bay haven't changed much over the years, it is still a very relaxing place to be. Our initial plan was to drive back via Langebaan and to pop in at a certain Mr Petoors, but sometime during the seafood feast that canged, and after a hearty Hotel breakfast (included in the room price or R690 for the night) we hit the road towards Redelinghuys, Eendekuil and ended up driving up the mountain towards Beaverlac. Once we got there we nearly died. It was 38 degrees and not a hint of a breeze.

We strolled over to the rock pools, but decided it was way too crowded, and started the trek back down the mountain, with air-cons blasting at full tilt. We came across some paragliders and we stopped to watch a brave hang-glider pilot wait for the right moment to launch himself over the edge of the cliff.

We popped in at Waterval near Porterville just to have a look see, and then it was plain sailing all the way home, via Porterville, Gouda, Wellington and Durbanville.

I am seriously impressed with the D4D. Overtaking is a breeze, fuel consumption is excellent and never once have I felt like I was driving a diesel. We maintained a steady speed of 120km/k and the fuel consumption was more or less 11km/l. Even on the dirt roads the drive was comfortable, and no dust got into the cabin.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend, the drive was scenic and comfortable, and the time spent on the West Coast was a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of the city. This comes highly recommended!!
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Re: Eland's Bay Breakaway Weekend

Post by Stubs »

looked a superb weekend guys, great pics.....must do that trip myself I think :thumbup:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Was that you in the hang glider Thys???? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Looks like an awesome weekend.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Lyk na n nice trip, Adoons (die baas bobbejaan) lyk mooi oppie pics. Het hy bietjie minder brandstof as die V6 gebruik?

Ek sal volgende keer bietjie rooi verf saamvat, daai rots prentiies "fade" bietjie.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

looks peaceful, lovely pics :thumbup:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Was that you in the hang glider Thys????
There's not enough karatewater in this world to get me hanging from that kite!! :oops: :oops:

The d4d's fuel consumption was slightly better than the V6... !! :beach: :beach: :beach:
Thys de Jager

Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

dit lyk of dit baie lekker was, maar ek sien nie kreef op daai lysie van jou nie, nou hoe dan nou?
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thys het jy regtig tot daarbo gestap?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:Thys het jy regtig tot daarbo gestap?
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I was somewhat caught by surprise as well, Pieter! ..... Looks like he's quite far behind the rest of the group going down! :twisted: :twisted:

Lekker Thys .... proud of you! :thumbup: ;-)

Oh, .... nice TR, by the way! :lol:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

pietpetoors wrote:Thys het jy regtig tot daarbo gestap?
Weet jy, ja... ek was nogals effe ontsteld toe ek sien mens kan tot amper by die grot ry!! Julle vat die ou bok laag.. hy kan nog 'n koppie uitklouter... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mens betaal dan vir die krewe Gideon, toe besluit ek dan vreet ek maar al die vis op.... Was baie lekker, kreef of te not... :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks Andy!!.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Trip Reports”