Swazi Reg Raid 2008

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Swazi Reg Raid 2008

Post by CasKru »

As some of you might know, the past weekend I took part in the Swaziland Regularity Raid but not as a contender but as one of the marshals.

Left for Swazi on Friday morning after rush hour traffic and arrived at Oshoek border post just over 3 hours later. A quick check out of SA and Check in at Swazi and of we went again. Arrived at the 4x4 club a little while later to find out the schedule for the rest of the day and then went to offload the trailer at the chalet.

At about 16:00 we started with the scrutineering of the competitors vehicles. Here we checked that all the vehicles were in good condition and adhered to the rules. The list included the engine compartment (fire hazards) , battery(properly secured) , interior (seatbelts, seating, equipment tied down), steering (play on steering), brakes (handbrake and footbrake), equipment levels (needed to show jack, wheel spanner, spare wheel, fire extinguisher, medical board, pull strap, water, medical aid kit) and all the proper lighting (yellow rear facing spotlight). A total of 70 competitors to be exact. Some old face and some new face. Even some faces of the forum (howzit Cubs). The scrutineering lasted till 21:20 when the last four vehicles made it to the club. The drivers briefing were held at 21:30 were after some partied and some hit the sack.

Everyday before the competitors set off on the course, two official vehicles do the course to replace route marking that might have come undone since the route was market out and to also check that the route is still passable etc. They are know as car 0 and car 00. I was luck enough to be car 00. (for the record car 0 was a Toyota Surf Mark I). This is basically a backup for car 0 should it get stuck or brake down etc. On Saturday we set off at 04:50. Let me tell you this. It's a totally different ballgame doing 4x4 when it is dark outside. :shock: :shock:

After about two hours into the route, we came to a section where you do a river crossing and then up the river bang with lots of loose sand, so you are forced to accelerate while still in the water. And as luck would have it, when car 0 went through, his seed net forced the water onto his bonnet and into the air duct on top of the bonnet. Lot's of steam and some more steam. Attached the pull strap and pulled it back through the river to the embankment. Luckily this was the same spot where one of the official photographers was setting up so we commandeered his vehicle. So a quick change of cars for car 0 (to a Nissan Hardbody). So next was I to go through the river and up the sandy embankment on the other side to be able to recover the less capable Nissan should it get stuck on the embankment. I made it on the 2nd attempt as I had just to little momentum first time round. Next came the Nissan. Barely made it out of the water but then we realized the hubs were never locked. :cry: So came attempt two. Still no joy. So here comes car 00 to the rescue and of we go again at an even faster pace as we needed to make up some time.

All went well till we needed to cross another stream and car 0 landed in a hole with it's right front wheel. Out with the pull strap and, finding a better line, and off we were. During the day we stop at all the Marshal points to check all stop watches have the same time and maybe answer natures calls. Just before the end of the day, we stopped at place where there were some bushmen drawings. Took some photos and met one of the recovery vehicles (another forum member, Hi Chris) and of we went. Arrived at the last marshal just after 12:00. It took us just over 7 hours to do the 136km of the first day. Quickly did the see-saw and then dropped the wife and daughter off at the chalet and went back to the last marshal. Picked up two guys and off we went to recover and tow back the original car 0. Must say it's quite interesting to tow another vehicle in off-road conditions. :shock: 3hours later we were back at the club. Said goodnight and off to the chalet.

Sunday we set off at 04:50 again. The day was less eventful in the sense that car 0 and car 00 remained the same. Car 0 now being a Toyota Surf Mark III and a SFA 2.4 Hilux. Day two was a bit shorter but more challenging obstacles. Did the route with out any vehicle problems but did have to wait and also fetch some marshals that got lost and weren't at the spot at the right time. Day two also took us just over 7 hours but this time for only 96Km. So off we went for a quick nap till we re confined later the evening for the price giving and party. Sorry to say but the winning drivers drove a Ford. There were nice trophy's and prizes handed over to the first 3 places and then some booby prizes for varies stuff. From getting lost, running out of fuel and varies other stuff. Of the 70 vehicles entering, 67 made it to the finish line on own steam. An Isuzu broke a sideshaft, a Musso had an engine failure (I think) and a Landy ran out of gas. The last prize handed over was a lucky draw for a set of Bridgestone recreational tyres to the value of R8000. And guess who the lucky winner was :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Off the interesting vehicles entering the competition was a Hummer H3 and a Jeep commander. And interestingly enough, these were the only two vehicles that needed to be recovered at a certain river crossing obstacle.

All in all it was a wonderful event and everybody seemed to have enjoyed them selves. There was the odd ones complaining about the routes etc but strangely enough, they're the once entering every year. :)

Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to take photos as we were pressed for time but I did manage to take a few and here they are:

Car 0 with front wheel in hole

Me following car 0 on various places on the route just to give you an idea of the kind of terrain we drive on / over

Some scenery shots (very pretty)

Bushmen drawings

One of the river crossings (loved these)

Me admiring my Lux and trying to be creative with a camera

Hope you enjoyed the insight to the Reg Raid and the photos. Hope to see more off you there next year :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Re: Swazi Reg Raid 2008

Post by Castos »

Cassie thanks vir die report. Ja Chris moes my plek vat die naweek. My co-driver se passpoort het besluit om te expire regby die grenspos frydag middag 2uur. So ek het 'n lekker !%!%!%$@ naweek gehaat.

Ek sal volgende jaar daar wees. Nie eers 'n grenspos gaan my keer nie.
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
Cubz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1989 D/C EFI 4x4 Botswana spec .

Post by Cubz »

Ek sal julle een ding vertel dit was mmmmmm wag -

Dit was !*?#* Lekker
Ek sal dit nie volgende jaar mis nie het kla my plek bespreek vir volgende jaar

My ou lux sonder enige lockers het die Gelangde wagen, Criusers en almal wat Difflock en centre locks gehad het, lat skaam kry
o en my clutch was besig om te groet
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Eish Reynard... ek het by Gert gehoor dat jy jou Nav wou wurg :cry: :cry: Daai is nogal rof. Jy was juis besig om met hom te gesels toe ek daar aankom.

Cubz... ek het ook daai hele roete sonder 'n diffloc gedoen :)

Een ding wat ek nou wel weer besef het met die scrutinering ens. is dat die ouens wat die LC's en G-Wagons ry, dink hulle is beter as die res. Kon dit aan hulle attitude agterkom. Maar dit is ook nou nie almal van hulle nie maar daar was definitief 'n paar goeie voorbeelde.

Ek is ook klaar geboek vir volgende jaar en gaan, as niks voorval nie, weer car 00 wees. Ek hoop meer van die forum se ouens neem volgende jaar deel dat hulle kan sien hoe #$@$@ lekker dit is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hey Cas,

Welcome back, glad you had a ball!

Congrats on winning the tyres! :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hey Casper :mrgreen:

Dankie vir die foto's.
Ek gaan ook maar solank my plek book vir volgendae jaar. Bennie, sal jy kom boer vir daai naweek :?: :mrgreen:

Jy se nie wat was die oorspronklike kar 0 wat moeilikheid gekry het nie. Se gou.

Wat gaan jy met daai tyres doen? Op die Corrola sit :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Cassie looks like it was awsome how did the toyotas do :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Sorry for taking so long to reply. But I don't think it was workers day over here. More do all the work day... :)

Riaan, die oorspronklike kar 0 was 'n Toyota Surf Merk I. Heeltemal capable enoll. Die groot probleem met daai spesifieke river crossing is dat mens al moet versnel voor jy uit die water uit is anders is daar nie 'n manier hoe jy dit anderkant uitmaak nie. En omdat ons die eerste is om daar deur te gaan en die amptelikke recovery voertuig op daai stadium nog nie daar was nie, dink ek hy het so bietjie ekstra mielie gegooi en toe help die seed net die water oor in die airvent in :(. Ek sal probeer om sometime 'n foto te post

Justin. I might be lying but I believe they got second and third. I'm happy to say that all recovery vehicles used were Toy's and that not on of the Toy's that entered gave any hassles (other than car 0 drowning :()
To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Hel man, dit lyk darem maar lekker daar. Ek sal verseker soontoe wil gaan. Mooi man Cassie.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dit sal regtig lekker wees om 'n paar van julle manne volgende jaar daar te sien.

Hier is link na nog 'n paar fotos en wat ander manne te sê gehad het:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... post171227
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Here are some more photos taken by Chris Prinsloo...
IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4466.JPG
IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4468.JPG

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

LAAT WEET MAAR AS JULLE 'N RECOVERY VEHICLE NODIG HET......... 8)

ek sal dit verniet kom doen :D
Attachments
HPIM2.JPG
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

And some more pics from Chris...
IMG_4472.JPG
IMG_4473.JPG
IMG_4476.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4479.JPG
IMG_4480.JPG

Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Honorouble Comrade Cassie,

Kindly note that your camera lens has a smudge of some sort on the bottom left of your lens. This type of behaviour is absolutely unacceptable, as it might lead other members of this forum to get "dirty" ideas. Your actions are bringing Hilux4x4 into "disrepute" and you is hereby formally warned not to can like make such ations again.

The Honourable Professor Doktor General Bokdrol
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dear The Honourable Professor Doktor General Bokdrol,

I was rudely made aware of this smudge when I downloaded the pictures from my photographic device to my personal computer. At that stage I dealt swiftly with the cause and the problem and she said she would take more care next time. The sad part of this all is there would have been plenty of beautiful pictures if it wasn't for that awful smudge in the left bottom corner. So if any of my fellow Hilux4x4 members have ever wondered how a finger print looks like which is out of focus, have a look at the pictures.

Dr. Casparof
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dear Doctor Casparof and Professor Bokkiedrolletjie. After careful perusal of said photographs and in depth inspection of the alledged offending smudge, I must render my verdict. In the light of the fact that the honourable Dr Casparof indicated that he was experimenting with artistic angles and attempting all manner of artsy FARTsy effections with his image capturing device, I must point out that said smudge lends a certain mystique to the photographic images and can therefore be excused.

Prof Kaspaas B.Sc (Kpratius)
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Honourable Dr Casparof,

I can like to be thanking you for admitting to your faults and promising to neeeever to such thing again.

Other than that. Awesome! It looks like great fun.

The Honourable Professor Doktor General Bokdrol
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
HannesCreamsoda
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Landi Series 3

Post by HannesCreamsoda »

Lyk lekker!
As ek nie daarheen kan ry nie, is dit nie die moeite werd om daarheen te gaan nie..............
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Kaspaas wrote:Dear Doctor Casparof and Professor Bokkiedrolletjie. After careful perusal of said photographs and in depth inspection of the alledged offending smudge, I must render my verdict. In the light of the fact that the honourable Dr Casparof indicated that he was experimenting with artistic angles and attempting all manner of artsy FARTsy effections with his image capturing device, I must point out that said smudge lends a certain mystique to the photographic images and can therefore be excused.

Prof Kaspaas B.Sc (Kpratius)
Prof Kaspaas.... You will be noted in my will :)
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

HannesCreamsoda wrote:Lyk lekker!
En erg.... as van die manne op die forum net ook wil gaan sal hulle elke jaar terug gaan. Mens kan vertel en prentjies wys, maar tot jy dit self gedoen het nê, lyk die prentjies maar net mooi :)
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Prof Kaspaas.... You will be noted in my will :)
I will will I? Where there is a will I want to be in it... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hey Guys. I see there is an article about this years Reg Raid in the new SA4x4 magazine on page 68. Leave it with you, use it, don't use it
To God be the glory
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Post by Umvubu »

Ek het Reg Raid 2007 gedoen' dit was 'n belewenis. Kon dit nie hierdie jaar maak nie. :( Sal in 2009 weer probeer. :x
Attachments
Swazi Reg Raid (183) (Medium).jpg
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Umvubu wrote:Ek het Reg Raid 2007 gedoen' dit was 'n belewenis. Kon dit nie hierdie jaar maak nie. :( Sal in 2009 weer probeer. :x
Jy moet vroeg in volgende jaar boek.. daai lys raak vinniger vol as wat jy kan sê
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

CasKru wrote:use it, don't use it
Use for what? I prefer Twinsaver Twin Ply
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

BenHur wrote:
CasKru wrote:use it, don't use it
Use for what? I prefer Twinsaver Twin Ply
Ja nee.. ek haat dit ook as ek my vingers deur druk :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
To God be the glory
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

CasKru wrote: Ja nee.. ek haat dit ook as ek my vingers deur druk :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dit kan nou vir jou 'n strontspul afgee... :shock: :shock: :shock:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Umvubu »

Net 'n gedagte...... wat van 'n Hilux4x4 Forum span vir Swazi Reg Raid 2009 :?:
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Umvubu wrote:Net 'n gedagte...... wat van 'n Hilux4x4 Forum span vir Swazi Reg Raid 2009 :?:

Ek sal daai kwaai smaak maar die lyk vir my die ouens is so bietjie bang om 240km off road in twee dae te doen. Hulle besef net nie wat hulle mis nie. :shock: :shock:
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Cassie,

Ek sal daar wees.....Ek sal selfs vir Pa en Ma met die Fortuner ook ompraat om saam te gaan.....Dis tyd dat ons bietjie almal saam gaan naam hoog hou ....... :lol: :twisted:
Johan Marais
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

JohanM wrote:Cassie,

Ek sal daar wees.....Ek sal selfs vir Pa en Ma met die Fortuner ook ompraat om saam te gaan.....Dis tyd dat ons bietjie almal saam gaan naam hoog hou ....... :lol: :twisted:
So mond moet stroop kry! :)

Ek sal ook verseker daar wees :)
To God be the glory
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Umvubu »

Ek is bly julle manne stem saam! :!: :wink:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Ek gaan my bes doen om ook daar te wees.
ImageImage
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

CasKru wrote:
JohanM wrote:Cassie,

So mond moet stroop kry! :)

Ek sal ook verseker daar wees :)

Dankie Cassie, ek het eerder gehoop dalk `n bier ipv stroop..... :twisted: :mrgreen: ...Is al lankal te soet vir stroop.... :twisted:
Johan Marais
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

ToyX4 wrote:Ek gaan my bes doen om ook daar te wees.
Dit wil ek eers sien :shock: :shock: Hoe gaanit met Mamma en Jr?
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

BenHur wrote:
ToyX4 wrote:Ek gaan my bes doen om ook daar te wees.
Dit wil ek eers sien :shock: :shock: Hoe gaanit met Mamma en Jr?
Ja Bennie, is so, dis hoekom ek se BES doen. :mrgreen:

Mamma en sussie gaan dit mee goed, dankie :D Nou net oor die 5 mnde, en als reg. :P
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Jy moet na Blom toe gaan laat hy jou leer sweis voor no 2.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Bennie, n goeie bul gooi verskallers :mrgreen:
ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

JohanM wrote: Dankie Cassie, ek het eerder gehoop dalk `n bier ipv stroop..... :twisted: :mrgreen: ...Is al lankal te soet vir stroop.... :twisted:
Kom ons stel dit so... daar is 'n bar by die 4x4 Club wat die event by gehou word.... :mrgreen:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

ToyX4 wrote:Bennie, n goeie bul gooi verskallers :mrgreen:
Mmm ek het altyd geweet in jou hart is jy 'n BUL, 'n regte blou bloed een enol.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

BenHur wrote:
ToyX4 wrote:Bennie, n goeie bul gooi verskallers :mrgreen:
Mmm ek het altyd geweet in jou hart is jy 'n BUL, 'n regte blou bloed een enol.
Riaan... jy het oop oë in die een in geloop :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Nee, nee! Ek praat nou BOER taal, nie RUGBY taal nie. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
blom