Bhanganek Kosi Bay 26th April 2012 - 1st May 2012

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Bhanganek Kosi Bay 26th April 2012 - 1st May 2012

Post by Borntofish »

Thursday afternoon at 5 pm I left the great wild dirty Johannesburg and headed all by myself out on the N17. The plan was to hookup with the first part of the team in Springs. So at the newly built Scumral tollgate at Springs I was followed by a Colt for the rest of the way. At Trichard we picked up two more members of the Annual Kosi bay fishing team.

We left Trichard at 7 PM and started the journey down to Pongola. For this trip we where joined by Dawie - better known as Lollie on the forum -and his friend Nick. We where suppose to meet them sometime at 7 in the morning in Emanguzi. They left the Thursday morning and decided that they will camp somewhere while we drove trough the night.

Well it did not happen that way. We arrived at Manguzi at 3 o'clock in the morning and we handed Dawie's cell number out to everybody with a phone. Time to wake them up so that we can get on to eradicate the last 35km worth of sand track down to the beach. We eventually succeeded to get Dawie to answer his phone. They arrived shortly after 4AM in the morning. We had a quick introduction to the new members of the Kosi team and we headed of down to the beach.

Just before the bridge we stopped and deflated tyres.

How many bars again?

After we eventually got the tyres sorted out I got the whole group lost and we got to the Black rock gate. Uhm no..... Slotted the Lux into reverse and as I wanted to put it into first it decided NO! What know? Depress the clutch again and all is fine. Weird.....

Still going after the weird stuck in reverse moment had passed...

driving into the sunrise

10 minutes later I get to a higher dune and decide to crawl over the dune in first. Foot down on the clutch and nothing......

Then I made the mistake of stopping on the incline! Not so clever. But not really a problem as I have a couple of big friends to help me push the bloody darn thing up the hill why we start it in first.

Check the Enthusiasm

We eventually we made it into camp. After driving the lux in first al the way. We even had to force one or two people of the road.... Cant stop now sorry buddy!

We stayed in the Bhanganek beach camp. They have 6 tents with two beds and a little coffee table in it. Perrrrrfect!!

One of the tents

The camp is about 200 meters away from the beach.

The beach at Bhanganek

The next morning we had a look at the Lux to get our parts list sorted before we go into town.
The slave cylinder on the clutch decided, that is it! I have slaved enough!

Under repairs
We drove into town and got the offending slave cylinder kit. This is Hilux Country no doubt about that. SFA panels is hanging from the roof of the shop if you might need one.

A local run about

We got a kit and headed back home.
Stripped the offending slave out, replaced the seals and we are back in business!

Two dead sober Hilux mechies

As soon as the hilux was all fixed up we headed down to the beach for some seriaaaas fishing!
Coolbox - Check!
Beers - Check
Whiskey - Check
Ice - Check
Oh and a fishing rod - Check!
one Sardine for bait - Check!

Oom Dawie fishing

The real kosi bay team fishing

Oom Nick fishing

Kosi bay team.....uhmm Fishing?

Something not totally right about the Kosi "fishing" team.........

What is also very important on these trips is the food. We did not drive 750 kilometres away from home to be on a survival course. And we are definitely not
going to rely on our fishing skills to feed us.

Tan a Choppie

Building a Cowboy brekkie

What has also become tradition is to eat a bunny on the second night of this trip.

Half medium hot bunny

We stayed at the beach camp for 4 nights. We caught some fish for the little effort that we have put in. But most off all the double 12 dominoes was the only victor after 4 days. We played a lot of Southern cross games up to double 10. And as punishment, the loser had to drink something and the winner could nominate somebody to drink something.

Great fun.

But as with all good things..... Tuesday morning we packed and headed out to the Total garage at Manguzi. We inflated tyres, greeted Dawie and Nick farewell and started on the very long trip back home.

Until next year......
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Bhanganek Kosi Bay 26th April 2012 - 1st May 2012

Post by george »

Lekker man.Ek like daai reflector wat julle op die spike sit :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Great! Hope you have better 'fishing luck' next year :thumbup:

Tx for the pics ;-)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Great story Werner! Glad you guys enjoyed it, even if no-one caught anything resembling a fish... but we all know about the one that got away! :lol:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Jis maar daai lyk mos nou lekker
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hi Manne

Ek moet se dit was n lekker trip gewees.Laat ons nou maar eerlik wees-daai Werner kan kos maak.

Thanx Werner dat ek en Nick deel van julle span kon wees,julle ouens was puik.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

Return to “Trip Reports”