"The Road to Hell" & back is paved with boulders; 2 reports

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Re: "The Road to Hell" and back is paved with boulders

Post by Kaspaas »

Mark, its not Phillip but I think it was Pierre?
Great photo of Lehan there!!
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Kaspaas wrote:Mark, its not Phillip but I think it was Pierre?
Great photo of Lehan there!!
Jammer Phixed :wink2:
Enrico
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Springbok
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d 4x4 D/C, TJM Front Bumper, Frontrunner Rear Bumper & Wheel Carriers, LASport Canopy, Leveling Kit, BF Muds

Post by Enrico »

Baie geluk manne :thumbup: Eks erg jaloers op julle. Ek het die pas nog altyd alleen gery, maar dis 100 keer lekkerder as mens dit kan deel met vriende. Sluit my volgende keer beslis in.
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

Great trip report and photos. Baie geluk, ek hoop ek kan volgende keer ook saam ry.
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Manne, ek wil net namens Viljee baie dankie sê aan almal!! :clap:
Hy beaam dat dit ongelooflik was!

So terloops, wie weet hoe hoog het ons geklim van onder die pas tot bo (per km)?

Verhouding van - Hoogte:Afstand
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Laat Johannes vir jou check op Google Earth. Hy is BAIE goed daarmee.

Ek het geen idee nie.

Know what you don't know.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

IIRC the altitude at the river was just over 200m and the top of the pass was about 740m.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Kaspaas wrote:Manne, ek wil net namens Viljee baie dankie sê aan almal!! :clap:
Hy beaam dat dit ongelooflik was!

So terloops, wie weet hoe hoog het ons geklim van onder die pas tot bo (per km)?

Verhouding van - Hoogte:Afstand
Sal nou vir jou kyk ou pel.......
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Entrance of RTH 520m above MSL (Mean Sea Level)
Campsite of RTH 200m above MSL
Image Link Broken
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

:oops:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

zepplin wrote::oops:
Nai my bru man sorry! :D:
Image Link Broken
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Just to keep you guys in the loop... the AV DVD production is under way...

The intro tune:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mr_B wrote:Just to keep you guys in the loop... the AV DVD production is under way...

The intro tune:
Nice Mr B :thumbup:

ps I almost fell asleep listening to that on a Friday morning...... :D:

:heat:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Not to worry OOOOOMS... I'll pick it up when the action picks up... and, for the record, there is footage of a certain member snoring in his tent... no not me... hehe!

Bribes (starting @ R100, in increment of R100) welcome to secure removal of said footage... :twisted:
Last edited by Mr_B on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legolas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4

Post by Legolas »

Bretton this song MUST be on your dvd: CHRIS REA - Road to Hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBw_da7BZk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Yip that's a give Clinton :thumbup:
Powerflow Justin
Vehicle: 1980 Hilux SC

Post by Powerflow Justin »

I am the oke who dragged his 2 mates up and down there on motorbikes

This is my report of the trip - no Hiluxes involved but I think the pics will show you some more of R T H

Hope you guys enjoy it - if it is UNCOOL to see bikes here then MODS to please delete

Part 1
This is the third and final chapter in the trilogy of my Road To Hell and back, both literally and figuratively. The story takes place over the last 18 months.
Early last year I literally stumbled across this now infamous road – please read about it here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=68096.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With a heavy heart we made the decision to turn around before the Road really even began. I made the decision to come back and finish off unfinished business.
Early this year Michiel started making some noises on this forum about attempting the Road.
We quickly put together a posse – please read about it here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=97854.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but again we made the really tough decision to turn back. I was now more determined than ever to come back and beat this Road on a motorcycle – it could and had to be done.
The gauntlet had been thrown down – who would be the first to ride the Road?
Within a few weeks of our return GJ and 2SD put together a very sneaky and clandestine trip – and they made it – Big Congrats to both of you !!! read about it here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.p ... c=100503.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Their success only strengthened my resolve even more – it could be done and I could do it. Even though Gideon Joubert is a former national enduro champ and Danie Winterbach was once part of the famous Army Bike Squad Stunt Team I was sure that I, a chubby middle age oke with a greater passion for bikes than actual riding talent, could with careful planning and some willing partners, beat the Road To Hell.
I looked around for a more suitable weapon and soon found a stunning little Husky TE450 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=98732.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I put out an open invitation on this forum on Thursday 19 July here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.p ... c=103091.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; – we were due to leave in 8 days – much work had to be done to both bike and body before then.
I soon got two takers – Heddles (Yamaha WR450) and lifeofgareth (KTM 950 SE – Baas Attie’s old bike in fact)
The rest, as they say, is history.
Part 2
We were going to cheat – by towing the bikes 650 km up the N7 to Steinkopf. This was done purely for comfort reasons – the 450’s could easily do the distance but I don’t think our butts could
We loaded all the bikes and gear the previous afternoon and hit the road at 6 AM on Friday 27 July
My little VW caddy bakkie had to work hard to pull a trailer with 3 bikes, 3 okes and all their gear – we took turns to drive and everyone was sawing through the gearbox like a lumberjack, all shouting “ry hom in die rooi!”
We took our time and made Steinkopf just before 3 pm. The bakkie was stashed behind the petrol station and we off loaded and kitted up as fast as we could – there was palpable excitement amongst this trio. We had a 50 km ride from here to the start of the Eco Trail and our RTH challenge.
We first saw the dirt at about 4:30 pm. We were carrying an extra 4l petrol each, 6l water per person plus the bare minimum we needed to spend the night at “base camp”. We poured as much of the extra fuel into the bikes as soon as we could, readjusted our packs and gear and hit the trail as hard as we could.
Let me tell you how bollie uncomfortable it is riding a bike with a heavy backpack – truly horrible !
We had about 30 km to go before “base camp” – an awesome trail of some fast winding loose sand interspersed with rocks and one or two koppies climbs – I have said it before and will say it again – in my opinion this is the best DS riding area that I have ever ridden in Southern Africa !

It took about 90 minutes to reach base camp – time was now 6 pm and the light was fading fast. Even though I had done as much planning and forecasting as I could we got here 2 hours later than expected – I do not like riding wild shit like this in the dark – this bothered me a bit – what other curveballs would there be over the next 3 days ? I pretended all was OK and we quickly set up camp right at the bottom of RTH – almost my second home by now – very familiar country this.

No tent for me - this is my “house” – a small groundsheet, sleeping bag inside army bivvy bag and a blanket I bought on a bike trip in Lesotho in 2007. Really is lekker warm and cosy.

The fire was lit and we settled down to discuss and debate some Nietzsche, Freud and Jung over a bottle or two of some fine red wine I have grown very fond of – Tassenberg or just Tassies to its followers.

Oupa Heddles up way past his bed time.

And our new brother from another mother – Mr Robin Gareth Carter – or better known as pielneus, langgat or drol.

A good chow of tinned chicken breyani and macaroni cheese filled our tummies – it’s amazing what complete awesome good tasting meals can be bought in tins nowadays – I actually wonder why anybody even cooks at home anymore
We hit the sack about 9 pm and all fell soundly asleep – especially me in my little cocoon.
We had a big day tomorrow – we were about to make world history – we were going to take the biggest bike down RTH – Gareth was soiling himself !
Part 3
I slept like a baby – from 9 PM to 7 AM – I have 2 little kids (Jack is 3 1/2 years old and Charlie is 10 months old) and they both like to wake me up every few hours – last night I couldn’t hear them.
The dawn was cold – so I lit another fire to make a few cups of coffee

And then I charged the battery on the Drift helmet cam
By 9 AM we were all packed up and ready – it was now or never – I felt more nervous than when I was at High School leading out the 5th Rugby Team in a match against Boland Landbou or some other boertjie school where we knew we were gonna get bliksemed.
We rode to the top of RTH to be greeted by this
Which we duly ignored
We all charged forward – like racehorses in a starting gate

Going down was easy – well OK maybe mildly challenging – my Husky felt right at home and skipped over the rocks like a mountain goat
Heddles and Gareth were making mincemeat of this road
And before we knew it we were at the bottom – maximum 30 minutes of easy slow riding – what was all the fuss about?
We all felt as fresh as a daisy …
And parked the bikes about 1 km before the river (to save fuel and not ride in the very sandy river bed)
and took a walk down to the mighty Orange River – all the way from Mont Aux Sources in the Drakensberg
I had made it – we had made it – life was good
A swim in the freezing cold water was definitely in order – I told you I am chubby
Two naked adventure bikers frolicking in the stream – Gareth chasing me
I waited under a tree for the two kaalvoet klonkies to catch up – they had “cleverly” decided to leave their boots with their bikes and were now being stung by the thorns
And then we made some of our own bushman art – please note this is not my style to draw on rocks and deface nature but in this case I think it is excusable and actually expected, and hopefully accepted
Heddles and I give our best “thousand yard stare”
The mood was light and everybody was in good spirits. We were having fun – we were in a beautiful natural and remote place – so remote that I guess fewer people had been here recently than have been to the Moon – and definitely not on motorbikes.
How difficult could the ascent really be?
Part 4 – The Ascent
The Road To Hell is almost exactly 4, 5 km long from the top to the river at the bottom. The descent took us no longer than 30 minutes at a leisurely pace with us stopping regularly to take pics, adjust helmet cams and generally just talk bollie.
(BTW – there is about 8 hours of helmet cam video footage from my Drift and Gareth’s GoPro of the whole trip – Gareth is editing this into a watchable and entertaining little doccie – hopefully he will be done soon and will be posted here for all to see – the pics don’t really do the landscape justice, the video however is awesome!)
We left base camp at 9h00, spent 30 min riding down and about 1 hour walking to and back from the river – the time was now 10h30 – the sun was up but it was not too hot – warm enough to ride with ballistic jacket only and stash everything else into the Kriega bag on my back.
Gareth, by his own admission, is super unfit – a 42 year old desk jockey office Johnny with “bingo wings” – Hedley and I are not much fitter but do get out and ride more often so maybe have more saddle time than Pielneus. It was decided I would attempt to ride the big 180 kg + SE out and Gareth would take a break on my skinny anorexic 110 kg Husky.
The big SE at the start of the ascent
I must add that Gareth is a good 6 foot plus and I had just had my Husky lowered 30 mm by Superfoxi because I am a kortgat – here he is on my boney
We kitted up and started up the iron horses
And hit the Road To Hell
Heddles giving Gareth a few tips
And then a helping push – we were only 200m into the ascent by now
What followed would become probably one of the most physically difficult and mentally challenging things I have ever done in my life. I rode in the local enduro and offroad championship on a KDX a few years ago and that was nothing compared to this. I was younger, fitter and better prepared both mentally and physically – and most importantly I only had to look after, pick up and motivate myself.
This short ride in distance, but marathon ride in time was the most challenging team exercise I have ever been involved in. Fuel was a concern – the Fuel light on the SE had come on at the bottom of RTH and we were really not sure if it had enough to make it to the top of RTH, never mind another 35 km back to the N7 and another 50 km back to the bakkie. Hedley and Gareth were asking me what felt like a million questions – will we make it back to the N7? – will we have enough petrol? – will we have enough water? – will we have to sleep here?
I screamed silently inside my head “For damn’s Sake ! I don’t know the answers! Stop worrying about all that shit! I am not your saviour, in fact I am just as screwed as you are!” I was scared – this was not looking good. Cracks were not only beginning to form but spreading and growing rapidly.
I called a little board meeting and started off with “How do you eat an elephant? They looked at me with a serious WTH expression. I answered “one bite at a time – so please forget about everything else – the N7, the petrol issue, the bakkie, the water – vergeet van alles. We are going to take on this road 50 metres at a time. We are gonna ride, push, carry, cry, swear, fall and bleed but we are gonna do it one step at a time!” They looked at me and nodded silently – I am not sure if this was acceptance or just utter disbelief.
I turned the GPS off and took my watch off – I did not want to know the time or see the slow progress – as long as we were moving forward everything would be OK – that’s what I told myself.
What followed was 4 hours of real blood, sweat and tears to cover the last 2 km – I will let the pictures do the talking
Gareth climbed back on his SE (and off again quite regularly – Heddles and I were now very glad we left our SE’s at home)
The little mountain goat called Husky – I really rate this bike – my bargain find of the year !
Heddles asks his WR to play ball
Gareth gets to grips with his SE
We took tow ropes / recovery straps IN CASE we had to pull bikes – well thank damn we did because they sure came in handy – without them ropes we would still be there – here the SE gets a tow while the WR sleeps
And Heddles wakes her up again with a bang
Only to stop again, out of sheer exhaustion, in a few metres
The rock throwing rear wheel of the SE – this tyre had done 80 km since new at this point – zoom in and see how stuffed it is already
I flipped the SE once (beautifully caught on video by Heddles) and in these pics I stopped just short of riding it over the cliff – totally out of control
The big SE fell and landed on my right leg, grinding my limb into the rocks – I am still walking a bit funny and my lower leg is bruised and cut from ankle to knee – not pretty ! I think I should sue Gareth for GBH !
The Husky keeps going up – never giving up – and never getting a tow

Gareth remounts his heavy female dog - and still manages to crack a smile – or is that a death stare ?
We summit at 15h03 0n Saturday 28 July 2012 – 6 hours and only 9 km later – the last 1 km took over 2 hours.
More rock art follows
Please excuse the profanity and choice of words in this pic – my mind was literally blank at the time and this was all I could think of – I hope other adventurers will understand and realise what I was trying to say
We are elated but exhausted – I feel like I have climbed to the top of Mt Everest I am so chuffed
My favourite pic of the trip – I balanced the camera on a rock and used the self timer
We had made it – the hard part was over. Good food, great wine and beautiful riding in the Richtersveld was to follow.
Part 5
We are on top of the world.
We are still a long way from tonight’s camp – we cannot stand around here and celebrate too long.
A quick scoot down to base camp to retrieve our stuff and we must be off – I am so tired – my backpack feels like it weighs a ton and the straps are cutting into my shoulders, even before I remount the Husky – this feels bollie. What an amazing change of emotions – ten minutes ago I was on top of the world – now I have a long face. I wonder how Heddles and Gareth are feeling ?
The time is now 3:30 PM – we have a challenging 35 km ride back to the N7 and then another 50 km back to the bakkie and trailer in Steinkopf, only to drive another 90 km back down the N7 to our overnight camp at Wild Thing on the banks of the Orange – we better move it !
We don’t talk much and hit the trail again – we ride like the enemy is be-creeping us from be-after.
There are no pics of our exit from this valley – time was running out fast. Soon it would be getting dark – and cold. None of these bikes have any decent lighting to speak of.
About an hour later we make it to the N7 with no hassles or issues at all. We all still had a fair amount of fuel on board. It was later surmised that the fuel light on Gareth’s SE had been triggered by the hectic sloshing over all the rocks and we could have ridden the bikes to the water’s edge at the bottom of RTH if we really wanted to – I will have to do that next time I am there.
Heddles offers to ride the 50 km back to Steinkopf to fetch the bakkie on his ace – I gladly accept – I am exhausted. We tap nearly 4 litres of petrol from the Husky to put in the WR just to be sure he will make it.
Gareth catches a lie down next to the abandoned building we are waiting at.
We do not have drop of water left amongst us – I am so thirsty – I actually feel quite sick – almost like I want to vomit – I have a migraine from hell. I sit down and lean against the wall – I feel broken and fall asleep almost immediately.
‘n Halfmens stands guard while we kip
Exactly 90 minutes later we hear the crunch of gravel – Heddles is back and he has brought a big red ambulance in the form of some ice cold Coca Colas – I gulp this down and can literally feel the sugar and caffeine flowing through my veins – awesome !
We quickly load up – it is now 6 PM and will be dark very soon – we have at least an hour’s drive to get to camp from here – and the last 20 km is on a treacherous and very dusty dirt road – not kief!
In me previous life I raced a Golf in the GTi Challenge and Heddles was my “chief race engineer”. Two weeks before this trip we completed the engine and gearbox conversion on my little VW Caddy – the old 1600 carb fed motor and donkey gearbox was junked in favour of a 2 litre fuel injected unit from a Golf 3 GTi coupled to a special close ratio box – this Caddy has been “breathed” on and now it was time to “ry hom innie rooi” again.
We pulled in to Wild Thing camp a few minutes after seven pm – it was already dark. We all knew what needed to be done – fire, food and booze. The guys worked like silent efficient machines and in almost no time the bush “TV” was on again.
Gareth was very concerned about my “catering” before we left Cape Town and took pains to tell me of his special dietary requirements and that I should double up the meals for him because he is a big boy and is still growing – he didn’t know that I also like to chow and have some sideways growing to do too.
Each oke would have a 250g rump steak, 2 lamb chops, 2 chicken fillets, 2 footlong stukkies wors, baked beans, sweetcorn and baked potato – I was sure this would fill the gap.
We ate like kings, quaffed copious amounts of Tassies and talked bollie late into the night – about 10 minutes after dinner we were all snoring away, dreaming of what we had done and where we had come from.
Tomorrow I would lead the okes on a 100 km ride along the Orange, into the Richtersveld Conservancy and through Helskloof – a very lekker ride I had done before with Metaljockey.
Part 6
We had all the best laid plans to get up bright and early and do 2 epic rides today – a challenging and rocky loop known as “route 69” because it is 69 km long and an awesome 100 km ride along thesandy banks of the Orange River and then through the Richtersveld Conservancy to Eksteenfontein and back to the campsite via Helskloof. The first route should take about 3 hours and the longer ride about 5 hours – it would be another big day in the saddle.
We were tired. We slept late. Oupa Heddles could not find his false teeth because he could not remember where he had put his spectacles – Old Timer’s Disease is a real female dog!
I made some coffee to get the boys going
And soon we were ready to roll
At 9 AM sharp we were still not ready – another 25 min of fannying about and Gareth and Heddles finally mounted their scoots to follow me out the camp.
I was chuckling silently to myself – the last time I was here with Metaljockey I was aboard my SE and soiled off big time. Gareth was already licking his wounds from the last 2 days and had no idea what was in store.
The start of the ride is quite easy and takes you through a piece of the beautiful and haunting Richtersveld – I have always imagined that this must be what it is like to ride on Mars.
But the sand monster soon reared its head
To be followed by its friend Rocky Sand

The boys were working up a sweat – again
I took a break and watched while Gareth picked his bike up, again and again. 20 minutes into the ride and he was as pap as a snoek that has been lying on a roadside bakkie in the sun for the past 2 days – he also smelt as bad and had the same toothy grin from ear to ear – we were all having fun – life was good
And then the sand was gone, just as fast as it had come
We rode and rode some more – we felt like we were the only people in the whole world – there is nobody else out there – it is absolutely awesome – wonderful medicine for the mind and the soul.
About halfway into this ride we pull into Eksteenfontein – a teeny tiny little Northern Cape dorp consisting of a few gravel roads, 200 metres of brick paving in the town square, a church and a bottle store.
About 1 km before town we stop at the scrapyard – an open piece of ground atop a hill, baking in the Namakwa sun.
There are some seriously damaged vehicles here – the newest being at least 30 years old. There is no ways people got out of these alive – some of them still have empty old liquor bottles inside – a lethal cocktail I call “Throttle and Bottle”. It never ceases to amaze me how filthy and dirty us human beings are – why do we have to make and leave a mess everywhere we go?
It is lunchtime on Sunday – everything is closed – damn! I was so looking forward to another ice cold red ambulance.
But wait – somebody points over there and Heddles turns around – we get shown to a house that is also a spaza shop.
This place is owned by David Farmer – cousin of Andrew Farmer, the man who rescued me a few years ago in the red dunes nearby when I burnt out the clutch on my 800GS. Andrew Farmer is the local “fixer” in these parts and will organise and deliver anything – no matter what. A good oke to have on speed dial.
Heddles spots an old Kawa 2 smoke under an afdakkie and the kakpraat is stepped up a notch
We buy a round of cold Cokes and take a few moments to chat and connect with these good people.
We bid everyone farewell and hit the gravel highway out of town – Helskloof awaits
We ride a wonderful winding path, up and down some steep rocky climbs, through thick sandy river beds and landscapes only seen in coffee table books. This place is truly magical.
We pull back into camp just before 3 pm. We realise we will never have enough time to do Route 69 today and we have to leave at sparrows tomorrow morning. The guys look a little sad – I tell them to cheer up because this means we will have to come back here again to ride this route, and literally hundreds of others – Rome was not built in a day.
We are all very soft and take a Sunday afternoon nap.
Does anybody know what a “tea-bagging” is?
Heddles mentioned over and over on the weekend that he was craving some tea.
Gareth and I wake up first – Oupa Heddles is still snoring. We simply could not resist – I crept up to Heddles and Gareth took the photo. This is a “family site” so I will not post it here., but I will tell you it is bollie funny.
The bush TV was switched on.
Heddles dreaming of some tea.
The coals were soon ready.
And once again we were forced to eat rump steak, chicken, lamb, wors, potatoes, sweetcorn and beans and was it down with litres of Tassies.
Unfortunately all good things must come to an end – another good night’s sleep was had by all and before we knew it we had to come back to the real world and leave this magical and mystical place
A completely uneventful drive home followed, each oke taking turns to drive while the co-driver played DJ and the 3rd oke slept in the back of the bakkie, until we met this crazy kraut
Alex is a “poor” 20 year old German – so “poor” he is travelling around the world on his bicycle with all his bollie strapped on. He left Berlin over a year ago, rode through Europe to the Med, caught a ferry to Cairo, and has spent all of this year in the saddle – he told us he can do about 150 km a day ! – I told you he was crazy.
We met him on the road between Bitterfontein and Vanrhynsdorp – all he could talk about was wanting to see “Tafelberg” – I pointed down the N7 and told him he still had a few hundred clicks to go – maybe another 3 or 4 days!
We gave him some water and hit the road again. A few hours passed and we were greeted by the “Tafelberg”
We were home – I was both sad and happy at the same time.
What an awesome trip – 2 long days of towing and less than 200 km of gravel road riding but an awesome trip – one I would do again in a heartbeat. Those 200 km were harder and more eventful than the previous 20 000 km of trip riding.
Everything was good – in fact it was amazing. The company, the bikes, the riding, the food, the wine, the jokes and the good (and sometimes bad) times – all of it was memorable.
Thank you Gareth and Heddles for joining me – I will let you use my inside toilet at home the next time you come to visit.
Last edited by CasKru on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some images
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Justin, I read your report a few days ago via the link to it earlier on in the thread. HUGE RESPECT man!!!! I once thought of doing it on my GS but after having done it in the Hilux, and coupled with your report, NO WAY!!!!!!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the TR and phodies.
To God be the glory
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Welcome to the forum Justin.
I also read your report a week ago. Absolutely awesome.
Saw your rock at the entrance. Nearly made me turn around. :mrgreen:

Powerflow Justin
Vehicle: 1980 Hilux SC

Re: "The Road to Hell" and back is paved with boulders; 2 re

Post by Powerflow Justin »

Thanks for all the compliments - much appreciated

I have been a registered member here for a few months - I am a lurker - read lots and post little (actually nothing)

Am very active on the Wild Dogs forum - its like a drug - dunno how I am gonna make time in my life to keep abreast with this one

Had an 80 series Land Cruiser but sold it a few weeks ago - the fuel bill nearly killed me - gonna stick to bikes for now - much lighter on gas and the wallet

When I saw this trip report on R T H I could not resist and had to post my experience
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome Justin, I am also registered on both forums you mentioned.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Pieter... are you a bit of a dog? Wild dog?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

its my wild side :D:
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Toni
Town: Parow
Vehicle: Toyota d4d

Re: "The Road to Hell" & back is paved with boulders; 2 repo

Post by Toni »

I too am a WD. How many WD are here as well?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Buff, Toyx4 ...?
Buff is also Buff on WD
Don't know Toyx4 username there
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I started a new topic for that at
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

We actually discussed how hardcore you guys must have been to get the bikes out the valley on our way down.

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Great Trip Reports & Pictures by all. Thanks for sharing your memorable experiences.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Trip Reports”