Real Africa...

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Willem
Town: FreeTown
Vehicle: Cruiser & Hilux

Real Africa...

Post by Willem »

I promised Niel I will send you some photos and stories from Africa. Yes Niel, I know it took me some time but some of us have to work for a living, but off course, you will not know - Joke.
I have been working in Africa since 19?? and visited some amazing countries - Angola, Mozambique, Ghana, Senegal, Namibia, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Kenya, etc… (bla bla,bla) At the moment I am in Sierra Leone where it is approaching raining season and that means plenty of rain and mud (Yippy). It can rain here for days nonstop and then off course you need a good 4x4. At the moment I am driving a Land Cruiser pickup 4.2 with turbo and intercooler; shipped from South Africa. So I am not a tech expert but I can tell you one thing – “nothing can stop this baby”. Ok, we have been stuck for hours and hours before but we also have a Samel 20 and a Unimog if things get really tough. For all your Hilux fanatics it will be pleased to know that we also have a Hilux with plenty of extras necessary for a serious 4x4 adventure. We are planning a 5 – 7 day, 1500km trip from Sierra Leone to Guinea next month so I will send you some more photos but at the moment I hope you like these ones. I decided to send you some road photos first. If you think the driving conditions in S.A. is bad; think again.
Next time I will send you some real 4x4 photos.
See you next time Boys and Girls. Happy 4x4ing
Attachments
Road Trip - Photo 7
Road Trip - Photo 7
This Photo was taken by a friend of mine from Sweden and was published in a European magazine.
This Photo was taken by a friend of mine from Sweden and was published in a European magazine.
Road Trip - Photo 6
Road Trip - Photo 6
Road Trip - Photo 5
Road Trip - Photo 5
Road Trip - Photo 4
Road Trip - Photo 4
Road Trip - Photo 3
Road Trip - Photo 3
Road Trip - Photo 2
Road Trip - Photo 2
Road Trip - Photo 1
Road Trip - Photo 1
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Real Africa...

Post by george »

Jeez Willem
Amazing what one can actually do with a vehicle. The roads look actually in good condition.
I bet that you get some nasty potholes.
What do you do for a living?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Willem

Glad to hear you are still alive. Send some pics of the pothole you showed me before :D :D

George, he is a laborer working on a tomato farm
:lol: :lol:
Willem

Post by Willem »

Sorry George I am only replying now. Internet here in Sierra Leone is like Niel in his Hilux – Yes, extremely slow. I have been working in the mining industry since 1993. I love traveling and have been to places here in Africa where they have never seen a white man before. One boy dropped all the wood he gathered for the day and ran like hell after he saw me driving past, screaming like hell doing so. Africa is truly an amazing continent even with all the problems but it does get to you, especially the locals, they can drive you nuts but then again “This is Africa”. Some roads are ok but you never know what can happen around the next corner. Check out this tree that fell in the road.
Attachments
Tree.jpg
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Willem it definately is a great thing to be able to travel for work and enjoy doing it. Especially on this great continent :!:
Even though some countries are worse than others, they all make for new experiences and once in a lifetime ones too.

Looking forward to hearing some stories and seeing some more pics. :D

May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay :!:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: jhb
Vehicle: 95 hilux

Post by jontheron »

on my way to the congo i spotted this bucki :o: :shock:
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

gee...some guys have all the luck... :sick: :sick:
Willem

Post by Willem »

Hi Jonathan.
What can I say – Africa; every day is an adventure. Looks like you were a little scared to move closer for a better shot? A closer shot can get you in jail unless you have some dollars to pay your way??? A friend of mine went with a buddy of him to the Congo and gave the immigration officer 100 USD to get his passport stamped. His friend refused to pay and demanded to see his supervisor. The officer replied that he is on the second floor room 10 but he is much more expensive and then he still has to come past him to get his passport stamped. Check out this next photo. Here is the proof – Nissan need Toyota for transport in Africa.
Attachments
Nissan need Toyota for transport in Africa
Nissan need Toyota for transport in Africa
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:D nice phots. Keep them coming. That tree is huge!
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

Return to “Trip Reports”