The Red Bridge 4x4 Trail Queenstown

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

The Red Bridge 4x4 Trail Queenstown

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yesterday afternoon the 4th of January 2013 a few of the guys got together and we drove this 4x4 trail, it is NOT an official 4x4 trail, :thumbup: it is just land +- 15 000 hectars that is owned by the state that various people make use of, some for their cattle, sheep and goats, some people live on it and some people drive their 4x4's on it as well.

Anyway there were five 4x4 vehicle's that went out on the trail together, funny thing was that there were in fact three Landy's :lmao: along this time as well and then only two Hilux's. :tease:

The short wheel base Landy has a v8 engine fitted and the bakkie type Landy also has a V8 fitted, the station wagon I did not take much notice of it I think it has a diesel engine fitted.

Then Gary Bartlett from East London joined us as well in his 2005 KZ TE Hilux :cooldude: that he did a modification to the front suspension and he fitted a SFA to it, Gary tells me that he still has the original front diff with a locker fitted and suspension parts, side shafts, that he wants to sell, thus if anybody is interested then send me a PM and I will give you his contact details.

This trail is rated as a 4 out of a 5, some sections due to soil erosion had to be sorted out a bit with the help of a pick and a few spades. :oops:

While out on the trail we drove up steep muddy short hill climbs, :o: one part espicially they said that last time there was this guy in a highly modified Range Rover with all the bells and whistles and he could not get through this section, anyway after having a brief look at it, I noticed that there was a 2 foot climb on the right side on the departure of the climb, thus I had to get my right front wheel up it if I was going to get through. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thus I told the guys that I would at least try and see what I could do in my little Hilux, thus I selected low range 2nd gear, rear locker and then procedded towards the climb, I had to drive through this very short section of the river first that had some deep mud, a std Hil;ux would dig the rear end of his or her bakkie in the mud and this would slow their vehicle down, luckily due to the extra ground clearence that my bakkie has, this mus was not a problem. As I started to climb this small hill, I then selected the front locker and the bakkie surprised me and it just sailed through without any problems, it must be due to the Marlin Crawler and a combination of the Bridgestone Muds that are fitted which have been on the bakkie for about eight years and not forgetting the ARB air lockers (or was it just the driver?). :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Anyway we carried on with the trail, driving through and up the river sometimes in 400mm of water, some awesome muddy sections as well, Ja I know that most of you would say, a person has to climb out and see how deep the water is, :disgust: but we do not worry about this issue because we know that we had three Landy's along with us :mocking: and if they can get through, then so would us guys in the Hilux's (no pun intended).

When we were approaching towards the end of the trail, we came across a very difficult cross axle hill climb, once again it was basically dried mud and due to the water that had washed down, it had become very cross axle, I went up and through first time, :cooldude: then Gary in his Hilux was behind me and he did not make it the first time up, the 2nd time up (1 st gear low range, lockers front and rear ), just as he thought that he was going to make it, something went wrong, I will let the photo's tell the story that I have asked Mud Dog post here for me. :blushing: :oops: :silent: :cry:

I then had to help Gary up with the help of a brief tug using an old shortened kenetic strap that I use for such occasions.

We once again had to assist the guys in the Landy's :laugh2: and with tyhe aid of the pick and spades we managed to sort this section out for them as well so that they would not break any side shafts etc. :boredom:

We then proceded on and came to the last section that had also washed away and while the guys were sorting out this section, I was asisting Gary to sort out his problems on his Hilux, luckily I had a few spares along with me which I carry most times in my Hilux.

Gary then completed the rest of the trail with three wheel drive.

We all had fun and the day ended safely for all of us.

If you ever drive through Queenstown with your 4x4 and you want to drive one of the trails, then please just give me a call at
083 703 6430. :bye: :bye:

:yahoo:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: The Red Bridge 4x4 Trail Queenstown

Post by Froll »

Sounds like fun, cant wait to see the photos. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

IMG_9177.jpg
IMG_9182.jpg
IMG_9184.jpg
IMG_9201.jpg
IMG_9202.jpg
IMG_9203.jpg
IMG_9208.jpg
IMG_9217.jpg
IMG_9235.jpg
IMG_9239.jpg
IMG_9261.jpg
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

cooooooooooooooooooooool dude
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “Trip Reports”