Venture up to Tiffendale Ski Resort above Rhodes

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Venture up to Tiffendale Ski Resort above Rhodes

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

A couple of years back a few friends with our Hilux bakkies took all the back gravel roads from Lady Grey up towards Rhodes, what a wonderful experience this was, we started off early in the morning, mist steam was rising from the streams that we crossed, the ice actually broke under the wheels of our Hilux bakkies, try and picture in your mind, here we had three Toyota Hilux 4x4 vehicles all with the solid front axle, one was a 1989 model, this bakkie had the 2.4 diesel engine owned by Hennie, then the other one was a 1994 model with a 4Y engine owned by Andries van der Berg and then of course my 1992 Hilux with the 4Y engine, all three Hilux's were single cabs.

As we arrived in Elliot, be warned there is this traffic cop who likes to use his camera for people who speed, we then went towards Rhodes by some more back gravel roads, Andries and Hennie are farmers of this vast area and they know all these back roads, I would have just got lost.

Once we arrived in Rhodes we re-filled the fuel tanks then started towards the road that leads up the pass towards Tiffendale, but decided that it was time for a braai, thus we spent over an hour just taking things coool.

Be warned I hope you can read :wink:
We came upon this road sign as we started to climb up the pass.

On our way up.

Cannot make mistakes while driving up here on this road with no side rails.

:arrow: 2km to go
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

And finally we arrived

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Must be Hilux Country

Nice place to take your wife or girlfriends, oh sorry maybe just a "men's weekend away"

Check out the ski slope behind the cabins

could you picture this place during Winter when it snows? :?:

The last outpost

Machine used to grade the ski slope during winter, to make the snow good for skiing.

And of course at night time, this is where everybody gets drunk.

When we were there, the over large guy was the owner, in the last photo did you see the snow skis attached to the roof, well if you can drink four or five beers while you are hanging upside down you get your name on a sign on the ceiling.

They have a few of these machines that make snow, but the tempreture has to be below a certain tempreture for them to work.

On our way back we took another pass down, very steep and the road was terrible, real 4x4 stuff.

n' Boer maak n' Plan yeah we went around through the river.

And do you think this small rock is still up there :?:

Want to go back again sometime, I saw in The SA 4X4 Magazine they are looking for the roughest and toughest "public road" well maybe this one is toooooo rough and tough for them during winter when it snows :wink:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “Trip Reports”