Back from Botswana & lots of Photos

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Back from Botswana & lots of Photos

Post by Aquanaut »

Just got back from our trip through Botswana to Vic falls and back to S.A.
Route taken:
Left Durban on the 13th of July, stayed at a friends house in Ermlo that night. Left early the next day on our way to Grobblers Brug Border post.
Went throught the border post at about 18H00 and continued until we got to the Rhino Sanctuary where we camped for the night.
Left the next morning after a drive through the sancuary.
We were on our way to Kubu Island, what a place a to get too, the pans were amazing and the photos taken of the Boababs and sunsets are stunning. We woke the next morning to one hell of a dust storm, could not see more than a couple of meters in front of the vehicles. Lucky for the garmin, we were able to stay on course the Nxai National Park and pour camp site at Bains Boababs. Again the scenery was breath taking and the amount of elephants was truely unbelievable. Days, the tempreture was good, not too warm, but nights, it was freezing, sometimes down to -2 degrees on the temp guarge in my Hilux. Hot water bottles and Lepel le was the order of the night in our roof top tents.
From Bains we went onto Maun, warmer than the rest of the trip so far and having good shower and ablution facities at Audi camp was Great!!
We chose that camp site becuase they offered good security, especially as we were leaving our vehicles and tents for a couple of days for our Makorro trip into the Delta.
Lucky we took a couple of ground tents with us, as it was freezing camping in the delta at night. What an experience, during the night, all you can hear is the Elephants breaking and pushing trees down, the Hyenas and hippos doing their thing. The frogs making so much noise, you could hardly sleep, but you can sleep with so much going on around the camp.
The next morning we woke up to elephants walking right in front of our camp and wading into the water to feed on the grass. They did not take any notice of us taking photos. Did a 5 hour walk arounf the island we were on and saw plenty of animals, from elephant, Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest, Buffalo, sadly no Lion.
After two days in the delta, we returned to Audi camp and after a day of relaxing, we were on the move to Moremi.
Even before we entered the park, we were surrounded by Elephant and Impala and Giraffe. What a place, nice soft thick sand to drive through to get to the gate and again on to 3rd Bridge. After we set up camp, not the roof top tents, we went for a drive as the guards came and told us the lion were spotted on a route close to the delta. We drove off, found spoor, but no lion, only elephant and Impala and Kudu.
That night, while we were braaing and talking around the camp fire, Hyena came within three meters of us, he approached us from behing a large tree trunk, so we only saw him at the last minute, he was a large male and once we shone our torches on him, he disappeared into the darkness, appearing every now and again to see if we had left anything for him. This was a high light of the trip so far.
The hippos were also very active during the night, some passing our tent within meters on their way to another walter hole.
The next morning we left for the KWAI Community camp site just outside the northgate. Crossed some deep rivers and log bridges and encountered may elephant and buck on the way there.
Even Safari air had to abort one of their take offs from the moremi air strip because an elephant had decided to graze near the strip.
The Community camp site was the best thing we ever did, the site were far apart, enough to see other campers, but not hear them. Our camp was right on the river, only seperated by the road, when we arrived there, the elephants were standing in the river drinking, water buck everywhere and warthog, more than what I have ever seen in one place. That evening around the fire, an elephant came walking down the road, not 15 meters away from our hilux, looked at us and continued into the river where he made some noice for quite some time.
We cleared the braai area and packed everything away because we were told of the Hyenas that visit during the night, it wasn't 30 minutes after we had climbed into our roof top tents, when were heard a noise.
A hyena had tried to climb up on my friends Land Cruiser, we unzipped the front flaps and shone torches on them, there were three of them, roaming around to see if there were any titbits left for them. they were not too bothered by the lights and continued to walk around until they decided there was nothing to eat.
The next morning we left for Savute, punched the info into the garmin and asked for the shortest route, which we followed. For the first 40 kms into the bush, there were tracks and then they disappeared. The garmin showed another 21 kms until the turn to Savute.
After 21 kms we came across a beautiful river, with a damaged bridge. 600 meters on the other side of the river was the turn to Savute but the river was too deep to cross, Tony my friend braved the cold water to cross it and at the deepest part, the water almost covered his shoulders. we were in formed at a later stage that that section of river has big crocs in it. Glad we only heard about it at Savute.
So we had to endure a trip back to where we started and go through the chobe national park.
This was one thing that really annoyed us, the cost of entrance fees even if you were just passing through the park on the way to Kasane.
We were told that Savute was "dead" with very little animals around, and the report was right, so we decided to continue on our way north to Kasane.
This was a really tough strech of dirt road, thick sand and deep tracks that would push the vehicle from side to side, not to mention the corrugation that made your teeth rattle.
Eventually we made it to Kasane, nice tarred road from chobe north gate to Kasane, a relief from riding in the dust.
The Chobe Safari Lodge camp site was brilliant, good facilities, good view and the warthog roam free amoung the sites, in fact they were roaming free in the streets of the town.
The next morning we booked our trips on the Chobe river for some game viewing and also our trip to vic falls.
I will let the photos of the chobe river trip tell its own story.
Be careful when booking your trip to vic through some of the operators in town, the one we went with was very good, the driver looked after us all the way and pointed us to the right places to buys crafts etc. they also had import permits for their customers.
Some operators do not have a trans border permit, they pick you up from your camp or lodge and take you to the border post, where they hand you over to a taxi driver on the zim siude you then takes you to the falls or where ever and you are at the mercy of their time schedule. And if you purchase any crafts, they are confiscated at the border because they do not have an import permit, so be careful, ask for these before you book.
After three days, our time was running out and we had to leave to come back home. What a long way to go, but we broke the trip up in two over night stays, the first one was at Woodlands just before you get Francistown and from there our last camp was at the Loskop dam camping site.
Iwas surprised that it only cost R80-00 per person to camp there for the night.
Our last stretch home was 7 hours and then the big clean up, so much dust and sand and elephant s....t.
Can't wait for the next trip.
Photos to follow when I get them all reduced in size.
I also have the co-ordinates of all the camping sites we stayed at, so if anyone wants them, please pm me and I will gladly provide the info. We never prebooked any of our camping sites.
Attachments
Botswana Trip 559.jpg
Botswana Trip 527.jpg
Botswana Trip 491.jpg
Botswana Trip 188.jpg
Botswana Trip 162.jpg
Botswana Trip 099.jpg
Botswana Trip 045.jpg
Botswana Trip 027.jpg
Last edited by Aquanaut on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: Back from Botswana

Post by Froll »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice trip report and pics, glad to see you have returned safely.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:thumbup:
Nice report,just a :?:
I know hilux's are great,but i seem to miss the time travel button :mocking: 13 July.

The falls look in full splendor.
Great sunset :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I say this after reading every great trip report ,I ENVY YOU . Thanks for sharing your trip with us and hopefully one day , MY SHIP WILL COME IN !!!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Hi Basil, Thanks for sharing your great trip report. You can please send me the GPS points of all your campsites, which will be highly appreciated. My email is edge w 60 with the G mail dot com all small text & no gaps
I am sure that the deep river you are talking about is the one we crossed between the Delta & Savuti on the Marsh Road. The water came up over the bonnet to a level above the windscreen wipers(1/3 of the way up the windscreen). 2nd geer low range & a constant speed got all three vehicles through(two luxes & an isuz).
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Very nice pics and report, makes me green.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Basil! :thumbup: Great pics, :goodjob: pity there aren't more ..... :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

nice pics :thumbup:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Leker, kan nie wag nie September is my beurt :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

leke mooi dis die lewe
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Basil and welcome back
To God be the glory
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Thanks guys, I will post some more pics as I reduce them. Got some great video footage as well, but the one video is over 240megs and I don't know how to reduce it for the forum. Any help would be great.
I have hade quite a responce for the gps coordinates, so instead of PM all those interested, I will post them here on the forum.
Rhino Sanctuary - S22 15.086 E26 43.688
Kubu Island - S20 53.361 E25 49.449
Bains Boababs - S20 06.743 E24 46.144
Audi Camp - S19 56.023 E23 30.589
3rd Bridge - S19 14.290 E23 21.282
Magotho Community Camp site (A MUST) - S19 07.440 E23 51.970
Chobe Safari Camp (Kasane) - S17 48.546 E25 08.701

When travelling from the community camp site to or via Savute, remeber to go through the Chobe National Park. The other 'roads' lead to a dead end.
the roads through the chobe national park are thick sand and quite e few soft AWD vehicles got stuck due to a lack of ground clearance and low range. Thos eof you who are taking caravans with, make sure they are off-roaders with enough ground clearance and you won't have a problem. Just go slow enough to be safe.
The community camp site was the best, all the animals from the delta on your doorstep, from your camp site you can see everything. There are 13 campsites and only 1 to 5 are next to the river, so first come first serve. The communtiy rep comes around in the evening to collect the camping fees.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Thunder02 wrote: I know hilux's are great,but i seem to miss the time travel button :mocking: 13 July.
What can I say, after a trip like that I don't even know what year it is. It is hard getting back to reality. :thumbup:
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

wow! sounds like such an awesome trip!

I dont know about camping out in the open with elephants and lion around though... :blink:
Real drivers use three pedals
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Die$eL wrote:wow! sounds like such an awesome trip!

I dont know about camping out in the open with elephants and lion around though... :blink:
That was the whole idea of the trip :lol:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

More pic's

I posted a whole lot, where have they gone??
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Nice TR Basil - glad you had a blast. The Magotho campsite is a lekka place :thumbup: :thumbup:

Next time you need to spend a night or two at Ihaha
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Let's try again with the pic's.
Attachments
Botswana Trip 047.jpg
Botswana Trip 038 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 036 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 030 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 029 2.jpg
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

more pics
Attachments
Botswana Trip 112 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 096 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 083 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 080 2.jpg
(135.29 KiB) Downloaded 1068 times
Botswana Trip 074 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 053 2.jpg
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Aquanaut wrote:
Thunder02 wrote: I know hilux's are great,but i seem to miss the time travel button :mocking: 13 July.
What can I say, after a trip like that I don't even know what year it is. It is hard getting back to reality. :thumbup:
Don't blame you,you getting me all reved up for our trip :celebrate:
Stunning part of the world,Kubu,very special place :cool:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

and more
Attachments
Botswana Trip 296 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 279 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 235 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 210 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 194 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 119 2.jpg
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

more
Attachments
Botswana Trip 460 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 450 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 395 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 347 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 329 2.jpg
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

last ones
Attachments
Botswana Trip 549 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 539 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 517 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 505 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 491 2.jpg
Botswana Trip 468 2.jpg
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

:drool:
Those ellies in Chobe are stunning.

www.4x4direct.co.za
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

All these photos were taken with my samsung S3. I have got some awsome videos as well but they are in excess of 240megs, how can I reduce them to a size that will be accepted on the forum??
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Aquanaut wrote:All these photos were taken with my samsung S3. I have got some awsome videos as well but they are in excess of 240megs, how can I reduce them to a size that will be accepted on the forum??
You can upload them to you tube,and then post the link.

www.4x4direct.co.za
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

I will have to get help from my daughter with that. :oops:
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Aquanaut wrote:I will have to get help from my daughter with that. :oops:
:laugh2:
Been there a few times :blushing:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Haboob wrote:Hi Basil, Thanks for sharing your great trip report. You can please send me the GPS points of all your campsites, which will be highly appreciated. My email is edge w 60 with the G mail dot com all small text & no gaps
I am sure that the deep river you are talking about is the one we crossed between the Delta & Savuti on the Marsh Road. The water came up over the bonnet to a level above the windscreen wipers(1/3 of the way up the windscreen). 2nd geer low range & a constant speed got all three vehicles through(two luxes & an isuz).
I know it is called the Savute River according to the map we had. The only Marsh road sign we found was in the Chobe National Park, this road ran in a straight road up the left side of the National park between the KWAI community reserve and Chobe.
Anyway, I did not have a snorkle fitted to my vehicle.
What happened to the goods in the back of your bakkie when you passed through such deep water, I was concerned about my dual battery and other suit cases in the back, surely at that speed, the bin should have flooded as well.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

mushroom wrote:Nice TR Basil - glad you had a blast. The Magotho campsite is a lekka place :thumbup: :thumbup:

Next time you need to spend a night or two at Ihaha
Hi, got any coordinates for Ihaha?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Back from Botswana & lots of Photos

Post by The Legend »

Beautifull pics Basil
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Lollie wrote:Beautifull pics Basil
Thanks Dawie
MaPaZa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: Hilux Raider v6 4.0 ; SYNCRO 2l

Post by MaPaZa »

Dis 'n goeie toerverslag - dankie - gaan dit nounou op my kaart "plot". Maar ek wil ook graag weet van die manne wat reeds deur diep waters is - ek was nog nie - wat gebeur agter in die bak so deur die water: alles nat? En indien die deurgang lank is, en bak loop vol water, is dit ekstra gewig wat seker nie tydens in die water sal pla nie, maar hoe kom jy met die klomp water die oorkantste bult/wal uit? Of wonder ek nou nonsens?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Basil that looks NICE !!!!!!!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

MaPaZa wrote:Dis 'n goeie toerverslag - dankie - gaan dit nounou op my kaart "plot". Maar ek wil ook graag weet van die manne wat reeds deur diep waters is - ek was nog nie - wat gebeur agter in die bak so deur die water: alles nat? En indien die deurgang lank is, en bak loop vol water, is dit ekstra gewig wat seker nie tydens in die water sal pla nie, maar hoe kom jy met die klomp water die oorkantste bult/wal uit? Of wonder ek nou nonsens?
Ja, ek het die selfde vraag gevra in die pos, maar nog nie n antwoord gekry nie.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

ChrisF wrote:Basil that looks NICE !!!!!!!
:thumbup:
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

Samsung S3 !!? :shock: Dit lyk soos n DSLR. Wou nou net begin kamera opgradeer !!
Puik foto's dankie Basil :clap:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Warrior wrote:Samsung S3 !!? :shock: Dit lyk soos n DSLR. Wou nou net begin kamera opgradeer !!
Puik foto's dankie Basil :clap:
Ja, die foon camera van die S3 het my baie beindruk. Ek het oor die 1400 photos geneem met n 16gig SD card, daar is nog steeds 11.5gigs oor.
Ek moes meer videos geneem het. hulle het baie mooi uitgekom, net baie groot (250 megs) om op die forum te sit. Ek wag nog vir my dogter om my te leer van You tube.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

What happened to the goods in the back of your bakkie when you passed through such deep water, I was concerned about my dual battery and other suit cases in the back, surely at that speed, the bin should have flooded as well.

No speed was involved, just a steady constant pace to form a bow wave & it only took about 10 seconds to get through. I was not timing myself though, as I did not first walk the water hazard, but my eyes nearly popped out my head when I saw the depth of the river, but by then it was too late & I just had to keep going. The bow wave pushed the water away from the open cab windows & the back of the tailgate. I have a photo somewhere, I took of the vehicle that came after me, but my timing was a little out & I took it just before it got to the deepest part of the river, & there the water was already over the bonnet.
Once you are in that deep, it is too late to stop, as the water will then get in everywhere. The most came in through the front passenger floor for some unknown reason, which just about filled the foot well. After the water hazard we drained & dried as best we could & just left the door & windows open that night, which solved the drying problem by the next day.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Haboob wrote:What happened to the goods in the back of your bakkie when you passed through such deep water, I was concerned about my dual battery and other suit cases in the back, surely at that speed, the bin should have flooded as well.

No speed was involved, just a steady constant pace to form a bow wave & it only took about 10 seconds to get through. I was not timing myself though, as I did not first walk the water hazard, but my eyes nearly popped out my head when I saw the depth of the river, but by then it was too late & I just had to keep going. The bow wave pushed the water away from the open cab windows & the back of the tailgate. I have a photo somewhere, I took of the vehicle that came after me, but my timing was a little out & I took it just before it got to the deepest part of the river, & there the water was already over the bonnet.
Once you are in that deep, it is too late to stop, as the water will then get in everywhere. The most came in through the front passenger floor for some unknown reason, which just about filled the foot well. After the water hazard we drained & dried as best we could & just left the door & windows open that night, which solved the drying problem by the next day.
Thanks, but I still wouldn't take the chance, the deepest I have been is where the water level was just above the wheel arch. I think that with out a snorkel, I would be looking for trouble, just like a Triton that was being loaded onto a trailer at 3rd Bridge when we left, he had got water into the intake and into the engin etc. That vehicle just didn't want to start or even light up the dash. And that was a small river crossing, I suppose the river was approached at speed, maybe I am wrong.
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Hi Basil,

Co-ords for Ihaha:
17 50' 20.64S
24 52' 42.26E

Hope this helps :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cheers
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Thanks, I have added them to my Botswana collection so that the next time we go, we can plan a lot better.

Return to “Trip Reports”