Kosi Bay

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Kosi Bay

Post by Rianc »

Moet my asb nie verwys na vorige topics nie, het almal gelees en is al 'n paar jaar oud. Ek gaan Julie vir 'n week na Kosi bay lodge toe en vat my boot saam om bietjie die lakes te explore. Ek wil ook bietjie soutwater onder my voete kry. Volgens baie is dit 'n lekker plek, die omgewing, en kan jy lekker sand ry (wat ek jare terug laas gedoen het). Vertel bietjie asb sommer so in die algemeen wie onlangs daar was en die ervaring.
Thanks
Rianc
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: Kosi Bay

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Rian

I was in Kosi for a week last September - BRILLIANT :beach:

you have the following places to visit while there all of which you require a permit for
Kosi mouth
Black Rock
Rocktail bay
and a couple of others that I cannot remember know.

They only allow 16 or so vehicle a day at the sites and you can only book them the day before, at the parks board offices which is at the parks board camping site.
If you go anywhere beside kosi mouth, pay your monies and take a guide with as you will get lost!!!! GPS's do not work as there are no official roads, ie the map that parks board sell is nice to look at to get a general layout of the area but useless to get you to the sites.

Better yet "hire yourself" a local (gillie) for the time you are there to clean extra and carry, they need the money and it is so worth it.

The best place to go snorkelling is at kosi mouth on the opposite side to where you park your guide gillie or local "carrier" will be able to tell you which route to take just watch out for high tide if you are taking camera's with.

You also need to take all your own refreshments with as there is nothing to buy at the tourist spots.

Remember your fishing license.

Ensure you have a lot of packing space available on the way back as the wood there is cheap and you will want to bring some back - lekker hard hout!!!

where and when do I meet you on the road??? EK WIL SAAM!!!!! :beach: :drool:

Shout if there is something in particular that you need to find out,

By the way where are you staying?
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Thanks Boet WQN, I will be staying at the Kosi Bay Lodge. I will surely press your button for more info. How much does one pay the gillies, they must also assist in the channels between the lakes etc. I'll be there from the 13th to 19th of July, hope the weather plays along!
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

We only hired a helper to carry at the various spots and they helped carry your stuff sometimes up to a kay away and then returned at the allotted hour to collect again and they where asking us R20 for that service.

One of the blokes staying at the parks board camp site, hired one for his whole time there and according to him they helped with the cleaning of the camp and basically assisted with everything.

The locals are very friendly and helpful.

Extremely jealous of you!!!!!

Ps the section of road between the N2 and kosi is a lot longer than you think or seems when you look at the map. :shock2:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

I will take that one with a Castle!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Drive to Bhanga nek. No permit required and a lovely bay.
Obelix and Dogmatix

Rian

have a look at the following link re permits

http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php/ko ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Hey Boet, I still require so much more info from you or any other member! I will be taking down one of my smaller boats to do lake fishing, since we will be staying on the edges of Lake 3. Please guys, don't be so uptight as the fishing forums. What do I need not to get lost on the single tracks etc. Who has fished the lakes?

Thanks
Rian :beg:
Obelix and Dogmatix

Sorry cannot help with the lakes regarding the fishing but re the sand tracks its is easy throw the gps away and hire a guide, trust me on this.

AND ENJOY
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Thanks, I trust you!

Return to “Trip Reports”