Olievenhoutsrus (Vaalwater) weekend trip

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Olievenhoutsrus (Vaalwater) weekend trip

Post by Stuart Baak »

Quick trip report from our weekend away at [link=http://www.vaalwateraccommodation.co.za/]Olievenhoutsrus[/link]

Left Friday at 12:55pm from Douglasdale Fourways, Headed Rorth on William Nicol to the N14/N1 to PTA, Stopped just after the Tollgate for a quick Bite to eat and fill up on fuel (Didn't fill before I left) :roll:

Trip was boring all along the N1, even made several attempts at radio contact on the VHF, Various chans, No Luck. So left it in "Scan Mode" - Was quiet the ENTIRE Trip...

Just Note: DO NOT SPEED on the N1, Many photographers trying to take pic of your car...

Took the Modimole Offramp just after the tollgate at S24° 46.985' E28° 28.169' - Went through Nuilstroom (Modimole), did not stop there. Just leaving Modimole, More photographers... :roll: :cyclops:

Arrived in Vaalwater around 16:20, went to see what the German Butcher (S24° 17.537' E28° 06.440') - Bought a couple of venison rump steaks for the Braai., then off to the Spar for some other food for the weekend (S24° 17.185' E28° 06.079'). A couple of Curios shops and one outdoor clothing store should you need anything. We did not venture in. Bottle Store in the same centre. :drunken:

The road to Olivenhoutsrus has vastly improved since I was last there 2 years ago or so! Very few potholes now. :-D

Olivenhoutsrus is an amazing retreat if you want to get out of the city, be surrounded by bush and not be bothered by anyone. There is a great pool that is nice to cool off in, have a beer and relax. The dogs are always nice to see running around and you can see the Giraffe, various Buck and warthog at the area just beyond the fence!
That evening uncle eskom decided to show us the stars, and I must say, with the fire going, the jackals going at it, the frogs chirping each other, and the nigh's sky truly painted as nature intended. What a great evening and we were actually annoyed when the power came back on :lol:

Next day we set off for Elisrus to see swambo's brother and to see where she used to live. She had very surprising knowledge of the area!!! Just note while driving to Elisrus, the bridge at S24° 08.924' E28° 03.222' has washed away and there is a temporary one way bridge, beware at night, the speed some people :roll: travel on that road may not see it at night. Very dangerous. :guy:

At S23° 59.598' E27° 59.529' there is a fantastic Droe Wors place that sells Game biltong etc at very reasonable prices. Just note to take cash with as their signal for their card machine depends on the direction of the wind! :lol:

at S24° 07.937' E28° 02.157' is the turnoff to Visgat, Keep the GPS pointed at Elirus and you will be routed.

In Elisrus itself, we had breakfast and drinks (It's what the locals do... :lol: ) at a Pub and Grill (The name escapes me) but is at S23° 41.359' E27° 42.016' and a (from what i've been told) the best car wash in town! Be there early or be prepared to wait... :roll:

Made a trip out to Medupi Power station to see on of Swambo's friends that works there. Interesting to see Medupi in real life. Its a big project!!! And boiler 2 apparently keeps tripping? I'm no power fundi so Smile and wave... :roll:
Then headed back to camp for more chill time in the pool, and later, sundowners at the dam!

Swambo made some pap and sous and we ate that with leftover braai! Big storm came over but thankfully didn't hit us.

The trip home was more exciting! Instead of heading straight to the highway from Nuilstroom (Modimole) - Turned right at S24° 42.001' E28° 24.348' : This is a much better road as it's windey, beautiful and has a couple of nice Padstalle along the way. Do not speed as heading into Warmbad! More photographers! Also, if you are planning to stop and eat along the way, Somewhere heading out of Warmbad (back towards Joburg Side) is a very nice little centre with a few pubs/restaurants. In hind sight, we should have planned to stop, but since we'd already eaten, did not stop but just waved as we went past! :lol: 8-) Co-Ord is S24° 53.525' E28° 17.711' This will be my new route from now on!

Stopped in Cullinan to buy Swambo an early birthday present. The Greek Place (Stavros - S25° 40.218' E28° 30.961') is nice to eat there, also, nice atmosphere at the pub at the end of the street (S25° 40.201' E28° 30.927')

Best Parking is S25° 40.202' E28° 31.012' and not on the big field...

And a random - The two Love's of my life, Swambo THEN my truck... :lol: :guns:

This is not a pic heavy thread, because I went there to relax. Not take photo's of everything... ;)
Attachments
DSC_1472.jpg
DSC_1470.jpg
DSC_1451.jpg
DSC_1454.jpg
DSC_1420.jpg
DSC_1458.jpg
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Olievenhoutsrus (Vaalwater) weekend trip

Post by Haboob »

Nice truck, thanx for sharing...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Looks leker relaxing!! Glad you guys had fun...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Lekker man!
Myself and wife are heading off to the Cockpit brewery this coming Sat for some decent beer...
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Nice TR Stuart :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Stuart Baak »

No worries guys! It's a fantastic place to just get away for the weekend!
Bibendum
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 v6 4x4

Post by Bibendum »

We have stayed with Sandra at Olievenhoutsrus 3 times. Always out of this world. I always thought that her place would be kept quiet and no one else would find out about it.....
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Stuart Baak »

Also been there about 3 times. Its good to keep it quiet but I think they like the exposure
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Stuart Baak »

Must make a plan to go again. In the FJ :lol:
Bibendum
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 v6 4x4

Post by Bibendum »

And the best of all is that the owner drives a Hilux as well.

Return to “Trip Reports”