Rhato, Mapungupwe, Tshipise April 2015

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Leeuplesier

Rhato, Mapungupwe, Tshipise April 2015

Post by Leeuplesier »

Nou ja, die keer gaan ek prober om die trip report in engels te doen. So don't kill me, my English sucks but I will try my best.

It will take some time.....busy with translations
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Rhato, Mapungupwe, Tshipise April 2015

Post by Haboob »

:siffler: :subscribed:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

Preparations for this trip was not suppose to take longer than two to three day's. But as you can remember on my previous trip i got towed in from Kimberley to Sasolburg due to a stripped gearbox. To make a long story short, the bloke that overhauled my T5 box and transfer case did not even replaced the oil seals, charging me 12K for the job and refuses to repair the oil leaks. Sad but you don't find many people with pride in their job. This job cost me another 5K to rectify. Anyhow rubberizing the bin to keep the dust out was also on the list and what a good job these guys did. They were able to dust proof the tailgate completely.

Eventually we hit the road on the 19th April. Our first stopover was at Weesgerus resort. Pith up camp in the rain and enjoy the rest of the night. Next morning we were off to Ratho near the Pontdrift border post where we camped for two nights. We kept on the alternative roads as the scenery is worth it. Road conditions was actually very good. As soon as we entered Ratho wildlife was in abundance. Definitely a sign that no hunting takes place on this property. We were met by the owners and a hand raised Zebra. Accommodation consist of a campsite with electricity, five tented chalets or the 4x4 bushcamp right next to the Limpopo river.
Central fire place.jpg
Central fire place.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Campsite at Ratho.jpg
Campsite at Ratho.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Welcoming party.jpg
Welcoming party.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Main camp direction.jpg
Main camp direction.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Attachments
Main camp direction.jpg
Main camp direction.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

I will recommend the 4x4 campsite anytime. Unfortunately for us we could not do any riverbed driving as they had 62mm of rain two day's ago which make the riverbed inaccessible. We did however enjoy the mud roads at the rivers edge with some challenges.
4x4 Camp direction.jpg
4x4 Camp direction.jpg (106.52 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
4x4 Camp donky.jpg
4x4 Camp donky.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Campsite on the Limpopo.jpg
Campsite on the Limpopo.jpg (132.66 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
4x4 Camp facilities.jpg
4x4 Camp facilities.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
4x4 campsite1.jpg
4x4 campsite1.jpg (129.43 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

We booked two nights at Mapungupwe Mazau Camping site. First stop at the main entrance offices to do all the paperwork and pay our fee's. Then another 40km back towards Pontdrift on the Den Haas road. First impressions of this small camping site was really impressive. Campsites, barbeque facilities and the ablution facilities was very clean. There was at that time only one family that occupies the campsite. We took a drive along the Lompopo river road which was muddy. Not a good time for game viewing as it was extremely dense. Camping that night was fantastic with the lions not far away. Unfortunately for us we did not see any of them this time.
Mapungupwe camping site.jpg
Mapungupwe camping site.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
The next day we we took a drive of 66km which took us 9hrs to do. Mud, tweespoor roads that that seems to be used a year ago and alway the signs of a kortpad that force any 4x4 person in that direction. Apart from some scratches the capability of my Luxy proof it again.
Most of the game we encountered was seen on the open plains. I was surprised to see how many Elephants is in this park. Another sighting that you don't see regularly is a groep of 11 Kudu's together with 6 Eland.
Mapungupwe Elepant.jpg
(95.61 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Another Mapungupwe beast.jpg
Another Mapungupwe beast.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
The next day we visited the treetop boardwalk but was only able to see two Elephant bulls playing in a far distance. The floods of 2013 destroy part of this treetop structure at the far end and still needs to be repaired. At the main entrance there is a museum and restaurant. Unfortunately taking of pictures inside the museum is not allowed and i have a philosophy of no pictures no payment. So we passed that one.
Mapungupwe curio shop.jpg
Mapungupwe curio shop.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Treetop walk at Mapungupwe.jpg
Treetop walk at Mapungupwe.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

The last ten day's we spend at Tshipise with our kids. Oupa and Ouma had the joy in spoiling our little one a bit. For her it was the first time camping and swimming and she truly enjoy the swimming part. We saw the mongoose fighting with a Black Mamba and the latter went hiding in a hole underneath a tree. One of Tshipise ranger had to shoot the snake of just over 2 meters as none of them are trained snake catchers. I would rather had them relocate the snake to their game park.
After a much enjoyable time in the Northern parts of SA all comes to an end.
Enjoy camping with the kids.jpg
Enjoy camping with the kids.jpg (122.18 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Another braggy.jpg
(99.74 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
2+meter Black Mamba.jpg
(111.59 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Attachments
Oupa's soft spot..jpg
Oupa's soft spot..jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Oupa taking the little one for her first swim.jpg
Oupa taking the little one for her first swim.jpg (107.53 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Baie mooi

Dankie vir die deel daarvan :thumbup: :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck