Botswana December 2008

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Pype
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4

Botswana December 2008

Post by Pype »

I am not good in writing reports but hear goes

Trip Report Botswana 2008

December 22 (Day 1)

We left JHB at 5:15 to Ghanzi where we spent the night. The border post (Skilpadshek) was sufficiently quit and we went through with no problems or hold ups. We reached Ghanzi about 15:00 after driving the Trans Kalahari Highway where the road are so straight and flat you can see your dog run away for three weeks. The lodge was reasonably priced and had a nice bar and swimming pool area and the food was good. The main thing I liked about it was it was out of town and we even saw a hyena after dinner when we returned to our tent.

Trans Kalahari Highway

Lodge in Ghanzi (Can't remember the name kudu something they are on the right before you inter Ghanzi)

December 23 (Day 2)

We got up early so we could go to the veterinary services in Ghanzi to get a permit to transport red meat due to the foot and mouth disease that is currently in Botswana. They then told us that we could get one at the veterinary gate just outside Ghanzi. We got to the gate and got the permit without any problems, the government officials were very helpful, and in about 10 minutes, we were on the road again.

We reached Maun where we filled up and got some final supplies at Reilly's Garage and were on our way to Moremi's South Gate. We reached South Gate at about 14:00 where we set up camp and spend the first night having a braai and some cold ones next to the campfire keeping an eye on the 4 Hyenas around our camp looking for a easy meal. We cleaned up every thing after we ate, putting it away in the bakkies, so they had to go and find food elsewhere.

South Gate Camp just before we cleaned up.

December 24 (Day 3)

We broke up camp went to the gate to pay and were on our why to Third Bridge when the heavens opened up just after 13:00 and rained cats and dogs the rest of the day. The +- 65km to Third Bridge took us 4 hours in the wet and I got stuck twice but recovered myself quickly by hooking my winch to Swart Bard's Hilux. It was difficult driving in front with all the water I hit all the bad spots so the rest can take the better lines, but hey, it was great fun.

At Third Bridge we set up camp had dinner and listened to the Loins, Hippos and Hyenas sound, putting us to sleep.

This is the second time I got stuck after the bakkie slid into a hole of the main track, after all we drive Toyota we like playing.

Rain, rain and more rain

25 December (Day 4)

X-Mass morning we had a nice breakfast after which we moved camp to the working ablution block and went for a game drive for the rest of the day, the weather was cloudy but luckily no rain. We then had a nice dinner and a couple of cold ones next to the camp fire, enjoying the peacefulness and the amassing view of the sky.

Hippos in a pool that we saw on our game drive

Crossing a bridge while on our game drive

26 December (Day 5)

We broke down camp early and hit the road at 7:00 to be abele to get to Lenyanti in Chobe, (Fat change with all the rain) when we realized we will never make it we decided to go play a little. We got off the main track, taking the other little tracks, we had great fun as we bumped into some of our friends on honeymoon, while they were fixing a bend steering arm on his Cruiser he picked up after he got stuck and drove over a log which bend it. We knew they were in Moremi but what was the change we would bump into them. We decided to travel together for the day as they were also spending the night at North Gate, now we really had fun on the smaller tracks.

Main Track full of water

Water crossings

The Cruiser and trailer which joined us for the day

Our camp at North Gate

27 December (Day 6)

And the heavens opened up again we only managed to get to Savuti where we spend the night.

Elephants on our way to Savuti

Road to Savuti

28 December (Day 7)

We had to cover 112 km off-road through Chobe and 480km on road through the Caprivi to reach Shakawe fishing lodge in Botswana next to the Okavango Delta before 18:00 when the border closed at Shakawe. We made it with no problems and had a nice relaxing dinner and slept in a room for a change.

Pumping up out tyres to road pressures

Crossing the Lenyanti river into Namibia

29 December to 3 January

Relaxing and fishing on the Okavango, the fishing was not that good due to the river being very high and dirty of all the rain, but at least we caught some fish before January when a total ban on all fishing until the end of March was imposed so that the fish can spurn. (Fisheries with there nets catching the spurn stock is the reason for the ban) I personally think it is a good thing. We drove back to JHB on the 3rd of January on road 1380km the round trip was just less than 3500km.

Three spot bream

Small Tiger

Stopping for a braai

Sunset over the Okavango

That is our trip it was great fun and our vehicles took the roads beautifully but I will suggest the following mods before doing this trip Snorkel, Suspension and winch is a must. We had our share of maintenance on our vehicle as well but nothing big, oil changes and greasing and so on, the normal stuff to do after driving in water as we did.
If you what to see what a Hilux can do click below :cool: :thumbup: :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cUKPjRAU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Botswana December 2008

Post by CasKru »

Thanks vir die fodies en write-up... maak my sommer net :cry:
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Man, that looks lekker!
Eendag as ek groot is....

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Shot Andre! Thanks for the interesting report!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Jinne tog dit lyk lekker. Dankie gr8 report.

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I cannot see the pictures at work, but what I read it sounds like a fantastic trip you had and it is something that is definitely on my to-do list. Great stuff... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice report, good reading, :thumbup: I

Kaspaas
I can't see pics at work either
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Hilux01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X85

Post by Hilux01 »

Andre

Dankie vir n great verslag! Only seen that parts in the winter looking at your report we ll have to go there in the rainy season sometime! :thumbup:
2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Bush Lapa Miskruier 810
Gerbers Alu Canopy
ORRA Call Sign: X85

Return to “Trip Reports”