The Karoo

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

The Karoo

Post by pietpetoors »

No, I am not back from holiday.
We are in Sutherland tonight. The camping site is not to my taste, right next to the road. So we decided to book into a self catering unit where we are private and can braai under the stars. Thus I could plug in the laptop and do a bit more than just answering the crucial emails. I think it is time to buy an invertor so that I can charge the laptop and camera batteries wherever I go.

As some of you might know, it was my Dad's birthday on 23 Sept. So I went to De Aar for the birthday bash. From De Aar I decided to take a week to get back to Langebaan. We did not plan anything and goes wherever the road leads us as long as the road is mainly dirt roads.

So from De Aar we took the dirt road to Richmond. We saw a lot of game, more than what I ever saw in the Kruger. Just before Richmond there is a road to the right leading you all the way to Victoria West. In Victoria West we visited an Antique shop. This was on Monday, the public holiday, so the rest of town was closed. We took the main road towards Loxton for about 5km and then turn left on another gravel road towards Beaufort West. We just made it to the Karoo National Park at 17h45 just to hear that the camping site was fully booked. One of the rewards of not planning. About 7km on the Jo'burg side of Beaufort we camped at "Steenbokkie". A private nature reserver far enough from the N1 that you cannot hear the cars. It is a neat little camping site with about 30 stands and clean ablutions.

The next morning I phone TKNP to find out if there is camping available for that evening and they informed me that it is fully booked. We decided to go there as day visitors and enjoy the day there. Luckily they do not have a Wild Card reader at the gate and we had to report at the main office. When I "paid" with my Wild Card I started to chat with the friendly staff and told them how unfortunate I was for not being able to camp in their beautiful reserver. 5 minutes later I was booked in and had a stand for the night.

I must say. so far the Karoo National Park's camping site is the most well kept and clean Parks Board site I have ever seen. Because it were so busy (Long weekend and holiday) we decided to pitch the tent before we went on the the rest of the activities. We pitched the tent, had a fresh fruit juice under the tree and sommer there and then decided that we must stay here for at least two days. So back we went to the office and booked another night.

To sum it up in short, this is a wonderful place if you like the Karoo, fossils and succulents. We first went on the short hiking trail. Then the 2 hour 4x4 trail. At first I thought the 4x4 trail was a nice game drive as I did most of it in H2. By the way, this is where we saw the most game the whole weekends. I think many a hunter would get a heart attack if they see the Kudu Bulls we saw here. Amazing animals and they stand 50 meters from the Hilux staring at you. When we reached the hill it was another story. Although you might make it up the Pienaar's Pass without diff-lock I think it would be risky. As you would need more momentum you might risk cutting you tyres on the sharp rocks. So unless you have diff-lock, LSD or traction control I think you should think twice before going up the mountain. The views on this route is spectacular. At the one point you will have cliffs on your left and a 100 metres fall on your right. If you have passengers with fear of higts, let them sit on the left side of the vehicle or walk, they won't make it if they sit on the right hand side and you would end up using the rest of the week to clean the seats of your beloved Hilux.

I can go on about this park, but would rather carry on. The fire is burning and the wife is moaning. I will have it all in my complete trip report when we get back.

This morning from Beaufort we traveled on one of the most beautiful Karoo roads I have ever traveled. If you drive throught Beaufort West towards Jo'Burg. About 2Km from town you will get the Loxton/Carnarvon road. This is the road to take. You will first go trough the Molteno Pass. Amazing, breath taking. Part of it is tarred road and the next part is gravel road. At same places hardly wide enough for two vehicles to pass. This whole road up to Fraserburg is an absolute beaut. It is a scenic drive and this 100Km stretch of road will take you about one and a half to two hours to complete. The road surface is very good, but there are so many twists and bends that you can hardly ever drive faster than 90.

From Fraserburg we went to Sutherland. And that is where I am drinking red wine and eating Karoo Olives under the stars right now.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: The Karoo

Post by BenHur »

Ag nee sies man hoe jealous maak jy my nou :wink:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Gosh Piet, seems you are really having fun!

Wonder how I would fare driving up that Pass with a 100M drop right next to me? Vertigo is a really terrible thing :oops:

Look forward to your complete trip report upon yopur return, congrats on being able to book in for a couple of days.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Lekker lekker, ek sal n draai maak by jou huis nadat jy terug is dat ek kan saam toer en die foto's sien. Klein kinders en baba's hou jou by die huis. Geniet dit, wens ek was daar.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Sound like a very nice trip.I am starting to turn Greeeen :mrgreen:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I finally had time today to finish the trip report for our last trip.
See http://www.pietpetoors.com/karoo/ for details.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Piet,

Excellent report!

Thanks for the well-written and informative report, I felt almost as though I was there!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Trip Reports”