Members' DIY projects
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Hilux DCab

Indestructable Welds

Post by Maplotter »

For those of you, who like me are not all that professional when it comes to welding (I can handle a DIY project, but I would not be employable as a welder) , and want to weld up your own stuff, the question now becomes ... How do I weld two pieces of metal together so that I know they will never fail?

One method that I like to use is the 'slug' method. Normally one would join one pipe onto another (Shown above) but with joins that are going to take a lot of strain, drill a hole then push a slug through the tube. The slug can be made of a solid rod, or tubing one size down from the two being joined.

Good resistance to shearing and twisting action like ladder assemblies.

Gussets can be used to spread the load over a longer weld line.

Good resistance to leverage and shearing actions which could weaken the weld. Ideal for cages.

A favourite technique of mine is to strap the welded join with a length of flat bar wrapped around the join and then welded back onto the intersecting section. Wishbones and axle carriers and masts where high pulling loads can be encountered.

Good resistance to pulling and shearing actions

So there you are, three very easy ways of making a vulnerable 'T' join into an absolutely indestructable welded joint.

What other welding tricks and tips do you have up your sleeve?
Last edited by Maplotter on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Indestructable Welds

Post by Traveler »

Thanks Mike, that is some solid advice.

Know what you don't know.
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Post by Pora »

Good advice bro

But the more you practice welding the better it will become
Theodorus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Honeydew Jhb
Vehicle: HILUX

Indestructable Welds

Post by Theodorus »

Learned that last week were buiding a table from scratch and have not welded in some time i do how ever battle when the rod is still long to weld the rod shake i know its a hang over sometimes ha ha but when it is shorter i weld good so some advice

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-24.207740,28.729786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mylux
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Pora »

Theodorus wrote:Learned that last week were buiding a table from scratch and have not welded in some time i do how ever battle when the rod is still long to weld the rod shake i know its a hang over sometimes ha ha but when it is shorter i weld good so some advice

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-24.207740,28.729786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mylux
:lol: i knowwhat you mean
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Hilux DCab

Post by Maplotter »

For the beginner ... Based on my experiences

An inverter welder is a hundred times better and easier to weld with and they cost about the same as a normal welder.

If your rod has a tendency to stick lean it over to the side so that the flux maintains a constant gap between electrode and workpiece.

If at all possible rotate your workpiece so that it is level and facing up. Upside down or angled surfaces are considerably more difficult to weld.
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

If you don't trust your welding, especially on critical parts, get yourself a can of this. It's a penetrating dye which will highlight any flaws in the welded joint.
7320260k.jpg
7320260k.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Pora »

Ou vale1 wrote:If you don't trust your welding, especially on critical parts, get yourself a can of this. It's a penetrating dye which will highlight any flaws in the welded joint.
7320260k.jpg
normally what i use to do it try brake it and if it doesn't brake then its good :)

Return to “Build your own:”