OBA [On Board Air] Aircon Compressor Conversion

Members' DIY projects
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

OBA [On Board Air] Aircon Compressor Conversion

Post by Johannes van die See »

Hi guy's.

I'm planning a new project on my Lux, this project will involve a automotive air conditioning pump and converting it into a OBA On Board Air system.

I've started my research and found some interesting information which I would like to run by the clever Hilux Forum Guru's and get a feel for your suggestions and ideas.

I've done a search on the forum website and found no results so it seems like this would be a first for our forum, if I'm mistaken please direct me to a helpful link.

So my first findings, the "Oiler" system, on a standard configuration the aircon pump is lubricated by the liquid gas flowing trough the closed loop system, this will not be the case in an open loop system for a OBA conversion so I will have to fit a oiler between the air filter and low pressure intake on the pump.
I've also stumbled upon one person's explanation about filling the aircon pump sump with grease instead of using a oiler for lubrication.
Now my question, what is the best option here, I'm not to familiar with these pumps so could the grease option work or does the oiler system sound better.
Where would I be able to source such an oiler in RSA?

The next section is to tank or not to tank.
If this system is intended to be used to inflate the wheels only no tank is needed but it is still recommended to fit a oil/water separator on the high pressure outlet of the pump.
I recon its best to fit a tank, this will make regulated pressure possible and therewith a whole lot of other possible applications like ARB lockers, air suspension, pneumatic tool applications etc.
This will complicate the system a whole lot more because of high/low pressure sensors to automate the system, T-peaces, pressure gauges, bla bla bla.
My question is, what tank, can I make use of an old cadac gas bottle or is it possible to source an appropriate tank for these type of applications. Also, would this be a much more expensive way to go or are t-peaces, gauges, high/low pressure sensors etc. not so expensive?

In the end, will this be a good reliable and relatively cheap setup or is it better to just opt for an electrical compressor?

Last question.
My lux is a 2002 IFS, already fitted with an aircon system which I do not wanna do away with, I'm also planning on fitting a TRD Supercharger in the near future so this will involve fitting additional tensioner pulley's and so forth, will the option of fitting another pulley somewhere for the OBA system be possible and where is the best option if so?

Any suggestions or information welcome.

Thanks.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: OBA [On Board Air] Aircon Compressor Conversion

Post by OOOOMS »

Would be nice if this could be explained and, and, and....

My cousin did this years ago on one of his vehicles. But at the time did not pay to much attention to the detail.

Look at the costs involved, then decide if it is not simpler to just purchase say a TMax compressor for between R700 - R1300, plug and play & portable!
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi,

I had such a system on my Hilux. You can use an air-tool lubricator to lubricate the compressor. I made brackets to accomodate an extra compressor on top of mine. To get the correct length belt was a headache. I used an old fire extinguisher as a reservoir, which I fiited inside the right rear fender (it fits nicely in there). You have to fit a very reliable pressure switch to disable the compressor once when pressure is reacheda also safety relieve valve. This is very important, that tank is a bomb.

It looks very cool when you use this to inflate tyres or matresses or if you use it for air tools, and everybody looks suitably impressed. But my bracket broke, I was always concerned about lubrication (filled the compressor too much with extra oil which got in the pipes), etc. But that compressor sure delivers a lot of air at high pressure.

But eventually got tired of all the extra maintenance and schlep, went over to a good quality electric air compressor. If you want I can see what I have left (if I can find it) and send it to you. I recently moved so everything is a mess, but I saw the oiler and compressor recently, maybe I even still have the separator. With the EFI on mine there is no space anyhow for the extra compressor.

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Chris

I am really keen on giving this project a go, if it doesn't work that well then so be it but I'd sure like to try as
a got hold of a fairly new compressor and would like to minimize the use of my battery bank trough demanding electrical devises like compressors.
I wouldn't mind making you an offer for what you can supply to make life a bit easier, thanks allot :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Please PM me once you've found all your old parts. :beg:

It's nice to hear that someone has used this system successfully and that it delivers good pressure and volume.
Image Link Broken
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Johan in an AC system you will find the refrigerant (aircon gas) AND oil in the sump of the compressor.

It is part of the natural working that a small quantity of oil is pumped through the system. The system is actually designed such that the oil is "brought back" with the circulating refrigerant.

Point is that these compressors DO pump out their oil. So you will need to lubricate it in some way, either via an air-tool lubricator or some sort of oil return system.

Personally I would opt for an automatic oil return system - this way you top it once and only check it once in a blue moon.

You can look for industrial oil separators at places like Kovco, Reco, Metraklark. The problem will be to find one that is small enough.

Basically it is just an oil separtor. Then at the bottom you connect a capillary tube back to the inlet of the compressor. The pressure in the oil separtor will force the oil back to the compressor - rather make the capillary tube thicker to ensure all the oil is fed back, onceall the oil is fed back you will get a small amount of air leaking back, no problem (safer this way).

As was mentioned previously, these compressors deliver a LOT of air !!, they can easily deliver at pressures exceding 20bar !! presure relief valve in the high pressur eline would be a good idea ..... OR a high pressure switch to cut out the compressor clutch .... (with these pressures I would go belts and braces, both mechanical pressure relief valve AND an electric cut out (thing of the control unit on a compressor)

tanks .... toooooo dangerous, I wont ever go that route - I have seen photos of tanks that have exploded ..... and frankly with the output flow rate of these compressors you hardly need a tank.

now remember to take pics and SHOW us how you built it. :)
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Some York air-compresors had their own oil resrvoirs (like an engine sump), but I never saw one, they were more common in the USA's vehicles. But the air oiler should do the job.

Some links:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.overland.co.za/Alex_Aircon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!!
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

I had such a system in my hilux. Did the oilers and oil remaval gear, but eventually took all of it off, ran the compressor with a squirt of Q20 before every use. Would last for a year of pumping the 33's, and most time 4 other vehicle's tires as well every other weekend in the dunes.

Worked great, replaced the compressor yearly with a scrapyard model @ R450 a shot. This is a lot cheaper than all the oilers and fittings and maintenance.

The oil removal systems do not work 100%, and oil inside your tires makes keeping them on the rim more difficult.

My 2c
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Johan, dis 'n lekker idee, en dit werk kwaai. Gesels bietjie met Anton van The4x4Co, hy het so 'n system in sy Hilux gehad. Hy het intussen die hilux verkoop, maar hy weet hoe daai stelsel werk en jy kan by hom hoor hoe hy hom ge-olie het. Ons het sy Hilux gereeld gebruik om sommer almal se wiele te pomp as ons klaar opleiding gedoen het.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

More Thys

Dankie vir die heads up, ek sal vir Anton een of ander tyd bel en meer uitvind.
Ek besef daar kan gavare en probleme in kom met die job maar ek glo ook as ek dit reg doen kan
dit n system wees met groot voordele.

Dankie vir almal se voorstelle en raad, lyk my ek sal nou maar moet begin om al die parte by mekaar te kry
en werk aan nog n moontlike WegRy DIY projek, :thumbup:

Een ding wat my wel bekommer is moontlike olie in die wiele, ek het klaar vir myself n nuwe probleem geskep met
10" rims wat hou van de-bead as ek te pap ry, met olie in die wiele gaan ek sekerlik meer probleme he maar okay, kom ons kyk wat gebeur.
Image Link Broken
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dan sal jy maar net moet bead-lockers opsit Johan, ek sal daai rims van jou hande af neem... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Your rock sliders are mos made up of 3mm thickness pipe, use them for tanks
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

it will prevent them from denting as well.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

pietpetoors wrote:Your rock sliders are mos made up of 3mm thickness pipe, use them for tanks
Julle ouens is te slim vir woorde!
Goeie voorstel, dankie
Image Link Broken
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Post by BlindBeggar »

EK het so rukkie terug 'n soortgelyke conversion op my CJ gedoen. My voorstel sal wees om 'n York 210 comressor te gebruik (hulle is beskikbaar). Die York het 'n "oil sump" wat beteken dat jy nie oilers ens nodig het nie. Dis ook 'n goeie idee om Air Tanks op te sit, dit maak dat jy air tools ook kan gebruik. Glo my die setup maak BAIE wind. (die storie is op 4x4community onder tyre chat)
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

BlindBeggar wrote:EK het so rukkie terug 'n soortgelyke conversion op my CJ gedoen. My voorstel sal wees om 'n York 210 comressor te gebruik (hulle is beskikbaar). Die York het 'n "oil sump" wat beteken dat jy nie oilers ens nodig het nie. Dis ook 'n goeie idee om Air Tanks op te sit, dit maak dat jy air tools ook kan gebruik. Glo my die setup maak BAIE wind. (die storie is op 4x4community onder tyre chat)
Klink vir my goed, maar waar gaan ek so York compressor in die hande kry?
Is dit n item wat mens dalk by n scrapyard kan optel, uit watter voertuig kom dit uit?
Image Link Broken
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Post by BlindBeggar »

...ek het myne (die York) by 'n ou gekry wat privaat (back-yard) aircons regmaak.....hy het 'n stuk of tien van hulle gehad. EK is nie seker nie maar ek dink van die ouer Mercs en Volvos het hulle gebruik. Daar is 3 modelle van hulle, 210, 209 en 208. Die laaste 2 syfers is die cubic Inch van die compressor (dws die 210 is 10ci ). Ek is seker jy sal van hulle by scrapyards kry. Daar staan ook nie noodwendig "York" op hom nie (myne is 'n "Esteroil"). Maak seker jy weet hoe een lyk (hulle is uniek) en gaan brows dan deur die scrapyards. Maak net seker dat hy nog kan draai en nie te veel slytasie op het nie en ook dat jy die clutch saam kry.....
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: wellington
Vehicle: 81 hilux 350,80 vx landcruiser,650 bombardier.

Post by vanthev8man »

die probleem met die york is dat dit baie spasie vat-dis redelik hoog.
ek het jare lank die gewone(sonder eie sump)ac pomp gebruik en vir smering het ek hom aan die "breather" pyp van die engine gekoppel.hy suig dan olie-vogtige lug in wat genoeg smering is.
hilux sfa -the only real 4x4!

Return to “Build your own:”