Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Building own roof rack!

Post by Scooter »

Morning all

I am thinking of building my own roof rack and any suggestions and advice would be great. :idea:
My thought is to use 20x3mm flat bar to make it light but robust and as welding of aluminiium is a crazy
experience, I thought that would be the best. Also working with steel is far easier and it means bits can be added if necessary.

Any thoughts :?:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Building own roof rack!

Post by BenHur »

Rather use tubing. It is much more rigit then flatbar. A lenght oh flatbar will bend under its own weight and is heavier then tubing.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Bennie, good suggestion. The only problem I have with using tubing is the bending.
Is there anywhere that sells corner pieces for tubing? Kinda like the corner pices used for gazebos etc.
Might make it a bit easier than getting someone to bend to the "right angle" :D

Is anyone aware of where to buy the correct roof rail attachments, I suppose a hardware would sell them?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

You mean like this?

See Whitters post home made drawer system using this stuff. viewtopic.php?t=52 You can even use Aluminium tubing to bring the weight down.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I have had a look at that route thanks Bennie and Yes aluminium could be used, I'm just a bit worried about the lifespan of those joins when subjected to the elements all the time. I guess with them being so cheap, you could afford to replace them every once in a while.

However I will be building a drawer system to so maybe I should just match it and wait and see how long they last.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What worries me about them joints is that the pop rivet's hole might grow with the continuous vibration of million and millions of kilometers of dirt road.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Guys

The only way really to do it would be to use alli square tubing as Bennie sugests but I would weld the frame up and then make the roof mounts stiff rubber mounted to prevent longterm cracking and to releave stress on the frame.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pieter, I can agree with you on the rivets and it does kinda make me shift towards welding.

CM, any idea on costs of welding if getting someone to do it? Normal welding is not a problem for me to do myself but aluminium I have never touched. Any suggestions besides buying a ready made one, wheres the fun in that?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Scooter wrote: Any suggestions besides buying a ready made one, wheres the fun in that?

You are like me. Even if the raw material would cost the same as the bought product I will rather build it myself then to make the 4x4accessories store owner rich. ANd you can enjou your handy work afterwards.

I hear they say that you can weld Alu with one of these AC/DC TIG Welders. Its maybe a good idea in the long run to invest in one. :idea:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I hear they say that you can weld Alu with one of these AC/DC TIG Welders. Its maybe a good idea in the long run to invest in one.
I read an article yesterday, written by a guy who had never welded aluminum before. He went out and bought a TIG welder and taught himself how to weld.
The problem being is how much do you throw away while teaching yourself the tricks. The main rules of thumb that he talks about are cleaning the material, pre-heating and using a heatsink to absorb excess heat.
It seems like quite a job but perhaps it is one of the trades guys like us should learn.

Have a read and see what you think :
http://www.artsautomotive.com/HowToWeldAluminum.htm
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think the best thing to do is to cut all your material to size in your own design and when you are ready to weld get a pro to do it for you because the last thibg you need is for your own welds to fail miles from no where and the old battery method of welding will not cut it for alli.

It will be the proverbial up the creek without a paddle senario. On top of which alli is very expensive to waste. :(
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Forget about welding aluminium yourself. I see myself as a rather good welder of steel. I tried welding aluminium on several occasions and it is not that easy to learn. If there is too much heat a big hole just falls into your work piece, so big that you cannot weld it close. Aluminium is not like steel that will become red when it gets hot, it stays the same colour and the next moment, whoops, you have a 5cm big hole in the plate.

Either you do it in steel or you take it to a pro to weld.

A double cab's roof is not that huge. So the roofrack will not be that heavy. One of my friends used rectangular tubing which looked very nice. It almost looked like very thick flatbar. I do not know the exact size but it was about 20mmx10mm rectangular tubing which he used standing up.

If you are concerned about rust, get it galvanized.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Pieter

Do you have one of these TIG welders?
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

Watching my dvd "a 4x4 is born" the guy has a cool trick for welding Aluminium

he puts dish washing liquid on the surface and when it changes colour it is the correct temp. Its sort of an indicator he reckons.

Even he struggles to weld the aluminium though.

Return to “Build your own:”