Chuck box / Travel Pantry

Members' DIY projects
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Chuck box / Travel Pantry

Post by ThysdJ »

I have been looking around for ideas to build a "chuck box" for a while now. This must be a portable box that is used to store all our cooking utensils, cups, glasses, cutlery and other kitchen stuff. Found some nice ideas on the web but I would like to know if anybody out there have tried something similar and have some ideas that I can "borrow".

The reason why it must be portable is for those times when we do not camp close to the vehicle, we want to put it in our kitchen tent/enclosure. But it must also work in such a way that it can be opened and used while strapped inside the vehicle.

It will be strapped in at the rear end of the bakkie, on the truck-slide I bought from Gysie. So it can have openings that opens to the sides, front and top. Gysie welded up an alu frame for me, 1080x510x370 mm which will form the "structure"..

I am looking forward to some ideas... :beg: :beg:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Chuck box / Travel Pantry

Post by Mud Dog »

Sjoe Thys, the design of a patrol box / chuck box is something of a subjective issue ..... largely dependant on each individual's differing requirements / preference of implements and how many 'settings' etc., but with enough ideas you can select what you like and formulate a package that works for you.

Here's a place to start ....... http://www.bing.com/search?q=Chuck+Box+ ... FORM=R5FD2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

No, really Andy?? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :tongue:

:D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

If you need hepl with any of the design work let me know and I'll help where i can
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

A cheap solution that served me well is those plastic drawers you get at Plastic warehouse.I put some velcro straps on and glued the frame where they slide into each other.Nice and light and stood up to the harshest roads for 30 000km.I still have them and will keep on using them.I wont put heavy stuff like tools and recovery gear into them but they worked very well.When we pitched the tent one of them went into the tent with us.
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG (117.59 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Kyk hierdie een
Attachments
basket.jpg
(29.93 KiB) Downloaded 1126 times

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Daars nou 'n idee of 2.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You could also fit a couple of those fairly flat plastic strips that you get for CD racks along each side, then cut a couple of 6mm plywood separators that you can use / move however it suits you. The separator panels can even double up as place mats for hot pots / dishes etc.

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I started off using a box made from marine ply wood, which was then partitioned off using all the stuff I wanted in my kitchen. The heaviest articles were put at the bottem, which included a small no. 3 gas bottle & a two plate gas stove. Next to that came a partition for tinned foods, then I went to kitchen sink, tupperware for foodstuffs & leftovers. Place was alsomade for pap, flour, pasta, etc. I also made place for the cups, coffee, tea, sugar, spices and anything else that you wish to put on your kitchen . Fill up the space with your goodies you already have. Close it with a door and latch inthe front as well as a handle one on each side. The handles are normally a bit thin and tough on the hands, so cut hosepipe in a spiral, and thread it onto the handles to make themmore user friendly.
My next project was a drawer system, which had different sized drawers, and a shelf fitting the whole of the bach of the truck, which were used, bottom four drawers for kitchen utensils and groceries, including two small no. 3 gas bottles and two burner gas stove. The two drawers above that were for our clothing and the top was a shelf for extra blanke, medical box, warm clothing and rain protection. The clothing drawers were normal kitchen drawer runners. The kitchen and grocery cupboards were 600mm heavyduty drawer runners. The big drawers x 2 could each hold about 2.5 or 3.5 cases of castle lite and 14 two litre cokes. Only one was usef for coke and beer. The other was groceries and the two smaller drawers were for the utensils. The part behind the cab was used for two 70 liter zero deepfeezers, and the back of the drawer system, which was called the piano, housed four no. 10 gas bottles. Needless to say, this setup was very heavy.
I now just use shelves and made them sized to the plastic boxes I bought to fit all my goodies in. Shelves are on the sides as well as the inside of the vehicle and close with doors. Clothing cupboards, spares and medical cupboards do not have plastic boxes, there the goodies are just packed on the shelves (clothes), tools and medical in their own bags.
Bhope this has been helpful...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

Haboob wrote:I started off using a box made from marine ply wood, which was then partitioned off using all the stuff I wanted in my kitchen. The heaviest articles were put at the bottem, which included a small no. 3 gas bottle & a two plate gas stove. Next to that came a partition for tinned foods, then I went to kitchen sink, tupperware for foodstuffs & leftovers. Place was alsomade for pap, flour, pasta, etc. I also made place for the cups, coffee, tea, sugar, spices and anything else that you wish to put on your kitchen . Fill up the space with your goodies you already have. Close it with a door and latch inthe front as well as a handle one on each side. The handles are normally a bit thin and tough on the hands, so cut hosepipe in a spiral, and thread it onto the handles to make themmore user friendly.
My next project was a drawer system, which had different sized drawers, and a shelf fitting the whole of the bach of the truck, which were used, bottom four drawers for kitchen utensils and groceries, including two small no. 3 gas bottles and two burner gas stove. The two drawers above that were for our clothing and the top was a shelf for extra blanke, medical box, warm clothing and rain protection. The clothing drawers were normal kitchen drawer runners. The kitchen and grocery cupboards were 600mm heavyduty drawer runners. The big drawers x 2 could each hold about 2.5 or 3.5 cases of castle lite and 14 two litre cokes. Only one was usef for coke and beer. The other was groceries and the two smaller drawers were for the utensils. The part behind the cab was used for two 70 liter zero deepfeezers, and the back of the drawer system, which was called the piano, housed four no. 10 gas bottles. Needless to say, this setup was very heavy.
I now just use shelves and made them sized to the plastic boxes I bought to fit all my goodies in. Shelves are on the sides as well as the inside of the vehicle and close with doors. Clothing cupboards, spares and medical cupboards do not have plastic boxes, there the goodies are just packed on the shelves (clothes), tools and medical in their own bags.
Pictures speaks more loudly! :P

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Cleaner wrote:
Haboob wrote:I started off using a box made from marine ply wood, which was then partitioned off using all the stuff I wanted in my kitchen. The heaviest articles were put at the bottem, which included a small no. 3 gas bottle & a two plate gas stove. Next to that came a partition for tinned foods, then I went to kitchen sink, tupperware for foodstuffs & leftovers. Place was alsomade for pap, flour, pasta, etc. I also made place for the cups, coffee, tea, sugar, spices and anything else that you wish to put on your kitchen . Fill up the space with your goodies you already have. Close it with a door and latch inthe front as well as a handle one on each side. The handles are normally a bit thin and tough on the hands, so cut hosepipe in a spiral, and thread it onto the handles to make themmore user friendly.
Pictures speaks more loudly! :P

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Ahem.. +1.. :beg: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

nou juis vanaand staan en weld aan my nuwe "drawer system" ...

VIER ammo bokse word hier ingeslide en dan vasebout - in die kamp sal dit in die voertuig bly. Slegs by die huis sal ek die bout losmaak en die "kombuis" indra vir my vrou.

fotos ... sal so teen 20 Desember begin om die fotos te laai, soos die nuwe kamper vorm kry. :)

voel nogal wierd om so stuk stuk goed reg te kry sonder dat ek enige iets finaal kan insit .......
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Sorry guys, but I was speaking about what I did on previous vehicles. Would have to go into old pictures, to find if I have anything clear enough for you to see the set up. I am abit technolodgically impaired, but may be going to East London on Saturday, so can ask Andy to do a post for me and to load the pictures that I may still have. Are you looking for all three set ups or what system are you looking for, so that I know what pictures to look for.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Haboob wrote:Sorry guys, but I was speaking about what I did on previous vehicles. Would have to go into old pictures, to find if I have anything clear enough for you to see the set up. I am abit technolodgically impaired, but may be going to East London on Saturday, so can ask Andy to do a post for me and to load the pictures that I may still have. Are you looking for all three set ups or what system are you looking for, so that I know what pictures to look for.
The more the merrier mate... let the ideas roll, it gets the creative juices flowing.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Mud Dog wrote:Sjoe Thys, the design of a patrol box / chuck box is something of a subjective issue ..... largely dependant on each individual's differing requirements / preference of implements and how many 'settings' etc., but with enough ideas you can select what you like and formulate a package that works for you.

Here's a place to start ....... http://www.bing.com/search?q=Chuck+Box+ ... FORM=R5FD2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Had a look some very nice idea's there!!!!
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Started building mine on the weekend... Basically a mini portable drawer system. I will post pics of the finished product when I am done.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

ThysdJ wrote:Started building mine on the weekend... Basically a mini portable drawer system. I will post pics of the finished product when I am done.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
That's not how it works :twisted:
Pics of progress needed,THANKYOU :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Thunder02 wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Started building mine on the weekend... Basically a mini portable drawer system. I will post pics of the finished product when I am done.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bla bla bla.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

ThysdJ wrote:
Thunder02 wrote:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
:subscribed:

www.4x4direct.co.za
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

ThysdJ wrote:
Thunder02 wrote:

Dis mos julle reels oom Thys!! :laugh2: :laugh2:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Thys, I have given Andy old pictures I had of the different setups that I have used over the years. He said that he would choose the best and put them on this thread for me. I am electronically challenged, so cannot do this. On a computer I would have been able to send the pictures to your email address, but I now have a tablet and would not even know how to start. Contact Andy (Mud Dog) and asl him how far he has got with resizing and posting the said photographs. Some of them have been scanned from old photographs, before digital photography, so the quality is not very good. Sorry if it appears that I am avoiding the issue, but I took the images to Andy before xmas and probably before the long weekend of the 16 th December, 2013. I also understand that he also has a job, family responsibilities, his mother in law has gone to Australia/New Zeeland and also lost his brother before Xmas. I am relying on the goodwill on a man with many responsible to post the pictures on my behalf. Sorry.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry guys, but it is as Edge says ...... too many issues to deal with in a small space of time. Will get onto it again, and it's probably too late to help Thys with ideas, but perhaps someone else can still benefit.

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Thanks Edge, dont worry about it too much, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do, I was just looking for some "outside the box" (no pun in 10 did) input from the forum guys. :thumbup: :thumbup: I went with my rough idea...

The project is almost done, just the refining and finishing left to do, but that will have to wait a bit now, the weekends are full already.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

No problem Thys, just sorry that I could not assist you.
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Any updates?
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Baasvark wrote:Any updates?
Thys has seemed to lost his camera ;-)

www.4x4direct.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Aha!! Just when you thought it was safe to go out in the water!! We tested the chuck box this weekend, and the missus is super stoked.. 1 or 2 small adjustments and she'll be ready to cook up a storm in the bush. I will post pictures later today... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I also took some pics of my super-duper Chaber Canvas awning... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Waiting in anticipation...
Andy, still waiting on you to post the pitches...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Okay here goes... What I built was basically a box with a drawer and a compartment at the top for smaller stuff. The drawer runs on those funky Furnlock runners... :twisted: :twisted:

This pantry fits on the back of the truck slide in the back of my Hilux, and can be used either inside the vehicle, or taken out and put inside the tent, should we stay in one place for extended periods of time. :thumbup:

Everything was covered with blackout carpeting. I sniffed a LOT of glue while I did that. I put some partitions inside the drawer,which can be removed completely. E tested it on the weekend and she is satisfied that the travel pantry will work for her in the future... But I know there will be one or 2 small changes when we come back from our first long trek.... But that is part of the fun.. :clap:

Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Snazzy! Well done Thys! :thumbup: .... so you're not just a pretty face, hey! :lol:

ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

Waar is daai awning oom Thys?
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hennie!! Moenounie van die toppiek afneuk nie.. ek sal die awning fotos op hulle se plek plaas.. as ek die plek kan kry.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pretty face Andy?? You have obviously not seen me lately... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

ThysdJ wrote:Hennie!! Moenounie van die toppiek afneuk nie.. ek sal die awning fotos op hulle se plek plaas.. as ek die plek kan kry.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pretty face Andy?? You have obviously not seen me lately... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aaag skuus hoor, ek hou van die grondseil :mocking: :mocking:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:Hennie!! Moenounie van die toppiek afneuk nie.. ek sal die awning fotos op hulle se plek plaas.. as ek die plek kan kry.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I was just being complimentary, Thys - don't get the wrong idea now. :D:

Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Good thing the wives don't read the threads,otherwise they all would want one :mocking:
Great job Thys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Paul Grobler.
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koedoeskop
Vehicle: 2009 L/C 4500 EFI S/C And 2006 L/C 105 Gx 4500 EFI

Post by Paul Grobler. »

Baie mooi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thys waar kan ons bestellings plaas ????

:lmao: :lmao: :surrender: :surrender: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Nee wat Paul, ek sal vir jou die mates stuur... bou hom maar self.. ek is nou eers klaar laaie gebou.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Build your own:”