My track Corsa - and so the season ends...

Members' DIY projects
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Re: My track Corsa - nasty prang, but back soon!

Post by Dodging »

Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Well done on the win Andre!

Considering the abuse the car goes through, its a big achievement that this is the first DNF.
Real drivers use three pedals
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Die$el

Yeah it really is a great little car
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Getting better and better each time. Each time you sort out more problems and the list is getting shorter. At least this time you do not have huge repairs before the next race. Almost there! Well done! :thumbup:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Yeah if things go well at Kyalami, I might just wrap up the class C championship
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

When is Kyalami ?

Questions: Why are all the cars the same colour scheme?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Kyalami is 22 October

Yes it is kinda weird all the white and green cars huh?
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Some footage from Tyler:

https://youtu.be/F4NzqQJy4Os" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: My track Corsa - and so the season ends...

Post by Dodging »

The day finally arrived – the last race of the year. I got to Zwartkops early on Friday morning, car prepared and heart racing. We went out for the first practice session with lovely sunshine and moderate temperatures. I managed a best time of 1:18.7 which was 0.3s slower than Tyler. I knew Tyler was on fire for the weekend, so it was going to be tough to catch him.

In the second session I managed a 1:18.7 again – this was fastest in class, but now Robyn was also starting to show some impressive lap times. I knew that I could expect a mammoth battle in the race from Tyler and Robyn. It was always going to be an interesting battle with the three very different cars.
For our last session the rain arrived, but there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to get some laps in on the wet track. I just did my best to keep things as smooth as possible, looking for grip as far as I went. My lap times were very consistent, and managed to stay on the tar the entire session. We packed it all up and called it a day.

Saturday
First order of the day was qualifying. Although we knew we would have an inverted grid based on the Kyalami results, the fight was still on to try and get the fastest qualifying time. Tyler was flying, managing a time of 1:18.2. I just could not get close to the time he posted, and only managed a 1:18.6, with Robyn setting a time of 1:19.2. .
This was really shaping up to be quite a race – Tyler with his outright pace, Robyn with the super-nimble little Ford Ka and wealth of experience, and me… Bring it on!

Race 1
With the inverted grid, we had Jaen on pole, Alta 2nd, myself in 3rd, Tyler 4th and Robyn 5th. When the lights went out I managed to get a great start, taking the lead and also passing one class B car before we reached turn 1. We all managed to get through turn 2 without incident, and the chase was on. I just pulled my ears back and did all I could to get away from the chasing pack. I could see Tyler and Robyn making progress through the field, and soon enough they were clear and chasing after me. Robyn kept Tyler really busy, which counted in my favour – they were closing the gap, but slowly. With 2 laps to go I had the both of them right on my tail, but managed to keep them out to the flag. When we crossed the line the gap between 1st and 3rd was only 0.9s, with Tyler in 2nd and Robyn in 3rd. I was completely overjoyed at the win – never really expected it.

Race 2
With the grid reversal, the lineup was Jaen on pole, Alta 2nd, Robyn 3rd, Tyler 4th, and myself in 5th. We also had three Polo TSi’s behind us as part of the VW driver search, and these youngsters had everything to go for. The lights went out, and I did not have a great start. As we went through turn 1 I saw a massive dust cloud, and I was worried that a car might appear from that cloud in front of me, so I backed off a touch. Immediately two of the Polo’s came flying past, and I knew I had a lot of work to do. I managed to clear the Polo’s on the way to turn 4, and set about chasing Jaen down. On the last turn of lap 1 I managed to squeeze past Jaen and set about catching Alta. I was desperate to get past her as soon as possible, and tried to pass her on 3 occasions when it was never really on. My impatience cost me quite a bit, as I was stuck behind her for two laps. Full marks to her for putting up a good clean fight though! I finally got past her at turn 5 on lap 3, and now I had to work really hard to get after Tyler who was in 2nd position, battling it out with Robyn who drove smartly to keep him at bay. I slowly closed the gap, and on the second-last lap I was getting very close. Unfortunately for Tyler he spun out in turn 5, and ended up standing still in the middle of the track. I backed off for a bit to safely navigate my way past him, and set after Robyn who was quite a bit ahead of me now. I drove as hard as I could on that last lap, and actually managed my best lap time for the weekend, pulling a whole second back on Robyn. It was however too little too late, as Robyn took the flag for a brilliant win, with me finishing 2nd and Alta 3rd.

The overall results saw Robyn taking the overall win for class C, myself 2nd and Tyler 3rd.

It was truly an amazing season. There were the moments when things did not go well, having had a rather serious crash and also one DNF due to mechanical failure, but at the end of it all I walked away as class C champion, racking up 9 wins in the process.

There are so many people to thank, but I’d like to just mention some specific people.
Pro Auto Rubber - Hennie and the team - Thank you so much for your support this year. It really means so much to me that you backed me through thick and thin. It is such an honour to have your company’s name on my car.

JR Panel & Paint - Koos, thank you so much for all you have done this year. The late nights to repair the car after the ‘Oops’-moments, the dedication, and words of encouragement. Thanks to your efforts the car was always one of the best looking cars at the track.

4x4 Direct - Thank you so much, Pieter and Niel for bringing the light in the darkest hours of this year. You really saved the day.

autObarn - Terry, thank you so much to you and your team for all you have done for every single competitor in Superhatch. Without you we would have had a very dismal year.

Northern Bolt & Tool - Fred and Gillian – you guys are so amazing. Thanks for all the words of encouragement, the advice and always being there. It is so amazing that every single time we come off the track, you guys are there with the biggest smile and the warmest congratulations for every competitor.

ASAP - Oom Willem, thank you for all you do for every one of us. Always willing to help, even when it was not asked. You are such an inspiration.

ProTek Performance - Thanks so much for the help in setting up the car, Hilton. The help you have given was more valuable than words can describe.

DynoHolics - Sammy, thanks for finding those ponies that were running wild in the hills and putting them in the engine bay – you are a star!

Tyler Scott - Buddy, thanks for the season. Thank you for making me fight for whatever I wanted on the track. It was so amazing to have you – the guy fighting me for the same championship – help me to go faster. The effort you have put in is just unbelievable. Thank you so much again.

My precious family - The biggest thanks have to go to you. Thank you so much for allowing me to chase my dreams. Thanks for your sacrifice, your support, your prayers. I love you all so much…
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

CONGRATS !!!!!!!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Dankie, Chris!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Baie geluk Andre. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Awesome season! Well done and congrats
Real drivers use three pedals
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Die$el!

Thanks, Froll!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done Andre'! :thumbup:

Now to get ready for next year ... :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Eric!

Not a lot of changes planned for next year. Will be moving up to class B, but in all probability still with the same engine. I'll just take all the weight out of the car, and see if we can get some more ponies somwhere - short of about 4kw at athis stage (doubt we'll get it though)

So a whole new challenge for next year!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Eric?? :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Aai sorry Oom Andy! Ek kyk soos my dinges haha
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:laugh2: .... :winkx:

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Mud Dog wrote:Eric?? :D:
You called, Andy? At your service. :wave:

Indeed very well done, Andre, you certainly have something to be proud of! Image

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Eric
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Dodging wrote:Thanks, Eric Image
First of all, well done Andre :clap: :clap: :clap:
Second of all now you have the two old toppies confused :lmao:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Oh ja - we had our YEF on friday

Got class champion, 3rd overall, 2 lap records, and one more award...

Best presented car for 2016! Very chuffed with that :)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Thunder02 wrote:
Dodging wrote:Thanks, Eric Image
Second of all now you have the two old toppies confused :lmao:
Careful.... your bomb...er... cheque is in the mail to you..

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Build your own:”