My track Corsa - and so the season ends...

Members' DIY projects
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Re: My track Corsa - next race 8 August

Post by 4x4BEES »

Wow, didn't think such a small bump caused so much damage.

As the note says, "Get well soon"
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Wow! Awesome!

Can see your car/you were much more comfortable through the high speed turn 4 than the other two.
Seems yours was better on braking as well.

That was an epic battle! I was really surprised to see the Citroen suddenly appear again and overtake when you were battling that other Corsa
Real drivers use three pedals
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

Just watched the 2nd vid now. How the heck did u manage to hold that!

Well done on keeping the power on during that slide! Managed to drag the front back on line
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Yeah that was scary - some poop nearly escaped haha

That wall is actually much closer than it looks in the video, and we were going at around 120km/h there. All I could think of was that if I hit the wall it will probably throw me back on the track, and there was about 8 cars behind me... Scary prospect...

But as they say - when in doubt, FLATOUT! Worked this time haha
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Well done Andre!!!
WAR Machine
Town: Noordheuwel
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by WAR Machine »

Just been thru the thread and looks good...
Well done on what you have achieved so far and I can see lots more to come...
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

For what it's worth, I was awarded rookie of the day again. Also got awarded the Crowd Pleaser award with my fellow class C competitors for the battle we put up
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :yahoo:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Next plan:

Image Link Broken
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Wat is dit as ek mag vra??
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Camber/caster plates that will be mounted on top of the shock towers. Really need to add some caster...
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Dodging wrote:Camber/caster plates that will be mounted on top of the shock towers. Really need to add some caster...
Thanks. Now I also know :lmao: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: My track Corsa - Spanner time again

Post by Dodging »

Update time again.

Started on getting the car race-ready again. Due to my 'nudging' a Golf, I obviously have some cosmetic damage. Bonnet is still at the panelbeaters. Got sponsored a bumper and headlight by GOLDWAGEN BOKSBURG. Thanks so very very much to them     

Set about painting the bumper today - will be ready to go on the car by tomorrow. Headlights got some new film - couldn't get the same film I put on last time, so the film is quite a bit darker.

Then onto the engine. The last meeting it developed a vaccuum leak that led to it idling at about 2500rpm - not nice to try launch the car like that.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, if I put my hand over the throttle body to completely choke it, the revs just drop to about 1000rpm and the motor keeps running.

Found the problem - intake manifold is cracked. Gonna have to take it off and have it welded up.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Manifold is back on, new bumper fitted, new headlight fitted. Couldn't get the same film as I got last time for the headlights, so I put a darker film on. Rice ftw!

Gave it a nice little clean this afternoon. Ready to go to dyno, then just need the bonnet back from the panelbeater, then I'm ready for the 24th

The fixed manifold:
Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Some photos from Thursday's race

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

For what it's worth, here's the race report:

We messed with the map a bit to reduce power in order to remove some weight from the car. At practise I could feel I lost quite a bit of straight-line speed, but the minor adjustments I made to the rear suspension seemed to work OK. My lap times were off by about half a second, but I was not going to try re-map the car again to get the power back that I lost. Decided to just make do with what I had. Had a decent enough qualifying session, as I managed to get a bit of clean track and managed 2nd fastest in class behind Andre de Lange. Because of the reverse grid from Dezzi I got 7th on the grid, behind de Lange. Had a really good launch off the line, but I had to back off in order to not hit Mel's car who got held up by other slower cars. Coming out of turn 2 I was sixth, and busy with a new guy in a class B Peugoet. His car was brutally quick in the straights, and I got stuck behind him for about 4 laps - really frustrating. Eventually passed him and set about chasing Sammy down. Managed to get on the inside of him in 2, then we ran mirror to mirror all the way to 4 where I outbraked him and made it stick. Started chasing Robert down who was running in 4th position. I got a bit over-eager and ran wide through 4 - sideways on the dirt and through the kitty litter at around 110-120 ain't no giggle I tell you. I managed to hold it upright and going, and as I rejoined the tar the car shot right in a frightening manner, nearly taking Sammy out. Thankfully he managed to avoid me because that would have been an ugly crash. Managed to stay in 5th position until the end of the race.

Next race I started from pole thanks to the grid reversal. Had a reasonable start, but immediately got stuck behind that bloody Peugoet again... Andre de Lange saw a gap and took it, and I stayed in 2nd for a couple of laps trying to get past the Peugoet. Tyler passed me into 8, and about a lap later I followed him past the Pug going to 8. Tried chasing Tyler down but just could not get close enough to try passing. Also got a nice little nudge from a kid with his Fiesta in 2 (that made me the third guy he hit in the rear for the day). Managed to hold him off and crossed the line in third place, giving me a 4th overall for the day.

Lovely day!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Video footage - a little video with combined highlights of both races

https://youtu.be/RipNcMlOmiU
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

At 2:22 did the guy behind bump you? Or was it just the rear tyres saying they had enough and let go?
Looks like the white Pug with orange stripe was quicker on the straights but like you could go quicker on the bends and brake later
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Very nice Andre.

As always, it looked like great fun.
Any substantial damage from the race?
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, guys

Nah that was not a bump - that was a bit of a brainfart haha. Was a bit optimistic in that corner with the entry speed. Luckily I didn't incur any real damage from the race.

That white and orange pug was heluva fast on the straights. It was entered in class B, but was 70kg underweight, effectively making it a class A car. I'm sure the driver will gain confidence soon (and get the heck outa my way hahaha)
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Race Report - Extreme Festival Red Star Raceway 13 Feb 2016.

Friday:
Got to the track very early on Friday morning for practice. The documentation stated we were going to run clockwise (Great news as I had been around the track in that direction), but when I had a look at the brake markers I saw that we would be running counter-clockwise. This was actually great as it was now a level playing field - none of us had ever been around the track in that direction before.

First session out we had one flying lap before the session was red-flagged. Didn't learn much in this session - felt completely at sea...

We had another four sessions for the day. I elected to skip the second last session as it was very hot and I wanted to save the tyres and brakes a bit. My lap times were looking really good though, as I was matching the times of some of the faster class B cars. Best I managed on the day was a 2:26.8. Finished the day feeling confident about my chances for the next day.

Saturday:
We got to the track very early again, as we would be the first out on track for the day with a warm-up / practice session. Did my final preparations for the day and had a pretty good session. Not long after we were back on track for qualifying. Managed to put a really good one together and ran a 2:26.7 which gave me pole for the race.

Race 1
Had a pretty good start, and we all got through the first two turns without incident. Managed to stay in the lead of my class, and was right on the tails of a bunch of class B cars that were having a good tussle. I got past one of them(Ian), but then I just couldn't make any more progress in terms of getting past. At this stage I had a comfortable lead over the next car in my class, and I was actually ruining Ian's chances of having a race with the guys in his class. I saw Ian showing a bit of intent in one corner, so I gave him plenty room to go through and have a go at his competitors. I decided I need to get a proper fast lap in one way or another to set a lap record, so I dropped back from the battle in front of me for a bit and had a good flying lap. Soon enough I was back with the class B battle, and saw the situation was still the same. To try get past them was just not worth the risk, so I hung back and just nursed the car home.

First ever win in the bag!

Race 2
Had a good start again, and was leading my class out of turn 1. Decided I was going to have some fun this race, and the circumstances were right for it as there was a bit more space between the class B cars ahead of me. Had a great battle with Ish in his Honda - managed to get past him and stay there for about two laps until I messed up my exit out of turn 2 and he just flew past me on the long straight. My rear tyres were starting to go off at this stage, so I backed off a touch. Decided to have one more go at the lap record on the last lap, but the rear let go through turn 1. Managed to catch it and recover through 2, so I then just took it fairly easy and brought it home in one piece.

Double win for the day!

Over the moon with the results - basically grabbed maximum points for the day with the pole, lap record, fastest lap in each race and the two wins.

Great weekend!

Image Link Broken

Edit by F_D: Fixed Pic.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Very well done, Andre! Congratulations!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

CONGRATS !!!!

excellent to see you racing with your brain !! May sound easy the way you type it, but with more adrenaline rushing to your brain than blood it certainly is not that easy !

you certainly are a born racer !!!!!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Still looking to see if anybody has pics. All I have for now is a quick video of how I got it all wrong in turn 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kft-C9KhvEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: My track Corsa - 2016 off to a great start!

Post by Die$eL »

Wow! Awesome stuff! CONGRATS!!!!!

Quick reaction there to catch the slide
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

I think the fastest thing that happened there was me knyping haha
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Things to do before the next race:
- Figure what's causing the steering to shake. It's definitely related to the wheels - could be bent rim, missing weight etc...
- Wheel bearings.
- Replace the kill-switch cable that sits outside the car
- Make a plan with those rear tyres... Funds only allow me to pull an Oos Rand move on this one...
- Set up rear alignment so as to get around the twisties better (and hopefully stop killing the rears faster than the fronts.)
- Suspension tuning - been doing a boatload of research, measuring, planning, drawing lines in the air while looking completely confused etc. (Now I know why the guys who understand this stuff never tell you anything)
- Corner weighting. Doubt I'll be able to get it perfectly right with both the engine and my fat butt being on the right-hand side of the car, but I'll try
- Find money - lots of it too

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nicely done! Keep it up!! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andre suspension certainly is a topic all on its own ... and more art than science ....

castor, camber, toe, even ackerman can be sorted with relative ease ....

but now you add tire pressure - which differs for each track, and differs again as the temperature changes.

Add the shock settings ...... which also differs constantly .....

small handfull of guys that can do a handfull of specific laps and get the settings sorted quickly.

few years back I had frequent contact with Johan Fourie's mechanic. He actually understood this very well, and could set a car to be better in some corners and not so good in others as per the drivers driving style ....

wishing you well in mastering this art !!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Chris

Going to try doing only one change at a time to see what works and what doesn't - this is going to be quite a process.

I will however have a fair amount of time though, as I will have to miss the next race due to work commitments. Next race for me will be Phakisa on 23 April

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by 4x4BEES »

Congrats on the excellent start to the season :thumbup:

Hope it continues in that fashion the rest of the year. :taunt: :taunt:

BTW, I subbed to your YT channel :cooldude: :lmao: :lmao:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Bees
Mars

Post by Mars »

Congratulations on your wins Andre. It makes up for all those times before and shows why one should not give up or get discouraged.
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/cab 3.0KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: HC355

Post by Matewis007 »

Dodging wrote:Next plan:

Image Link Broken
Hierdie goed is awesome!! Het hulle in ons race-car gebruik. Sal bietjie soek vanaand en foto post. het tot sover as 2.5 grade negative camber gekry. En dan kan jy natuurlik met die castor ook lekker speel.
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Matewis007 »

I also see none of the cars lift the bonnet at the back near the windscreen. Simple thing to do, but there was a substantial difference in our topspeed. Wind flows into the engine bay and hit the firewall, with the bonnet lifted wind flows over the car. Also keeping the temperatures under the hood down.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Unfortunarely we are not allowed to do so - car must retain the original silhouette

Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Matewis007 »

What our setup looked like.
We actually added more nuts between the pillars and the rose-joint to keep it in place exactly where we want it.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Yeah that looks the business
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Some news:

Due to work commitments, I was going to miss this weekend's race. Thankfully the stock take has been postponed...

Let's go racing!!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

NICE !

Andre best wishes.
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Matewis007 »

Awesome. Hahahah keep us up to date. With me not racing anymore it's nice to keep track of someone that does! Go kick some butt!!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andre, you need to stick a Hilux Club sticker to your car - that will terrify the guys behind you!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks guys!

Will be at the track tomorrow. I'll post updates as the day progresses on Facebook

Check out 'Dannhauser Racing' on FB
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Race report

What a weekend.

Got to the track very early on Friday morning, unpacked everything and got ready for qualifying. Went out in the first session (I was actually the very first car onto the track Image ), and was running pretty good pace with an 1:18.8. The car felt really good, and the small change I made on the rear was working as I had hoped.

I opted not to go out for the second session and just kept an eye on the times the other guys were doing. I saw Tyler running good times in his Kadett with the new engine and suspension changes, and knew I was going to have some serious competition.

When everybody got back in, Ian's Class B Kadett got towed in - fan belt came loose and somehow found its way into the bottom pulley, despite the cam cover being in place as it should be. No compression... He was getting ready to pack it in, but I managed to convince him we can fix the problem. We set about getting the head off, and found 8 bent intake valves.

While all this was happening, the guys went out for the last two sessions, and Tyler came limping back into the pits with a broken gearbox. At around 17h00 we had Ian's car running again, and then I helped Tyler out with his gearbox problem. They found another gearbox, and late that night we finally had his car working again, and it was working really well... Got to bed at 2am

6am we were back at the track. Got everything ready for qualifying, and soon enough we were out on track. Managed a 1:18.9, which was fastest in my class - one point in the bag Image . I killed a tyre though...

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Race 1. Had a good start, and was leading by turn 2. I saw Tyler was right on my tail, and knew I had to get through the slower class B cars quickly or he was going to get past. Battled with the two class b cars ahead of me for a bit, but inevitably I got held up and Tyler took his chance. Eventually we cleared the traffic, and I was right on his tail waiting for the right opportunity. He had quite a bit more straigh-line speed than me, but I was much better on the brakes. On the final lap I knew I had to give it all I had to get past. Tyler pulled his usual gap on the back straight, but I just went into 4 as fast as I dared to try set him up for turn 5. I made ground on him, and as we exited turn 4 I actually had to swerve not to hit him from behind. I did not know this at the time, but he had fuel pressure issues - I just thought he overdid it in 4. I took the lead into turn 5, and then employed all the defensive tactics I knew through the last 3 turns to take the flag. It was an epic battle, and though it was heluva close we never touched. Great race

Race 2

Due to the grid reversal I was last on the grid, with Tyler one spot ahead of me. Had a fantastic launch, getting ahead of Tyler and Alta through turn 1. Had to go on the outside of turn 2, and got stuck behind Robert which gave Tyler the chance to take the lead. We cleared the slower class B cars really quickly, and I now had the task of trying to get past Tyler. His pace was excellent though, and by lap 4 he had made about a 1 second gap on me. We had a car drop oil in turn 4, and I just could not see the oil... I found it a couple of times though Image . This made me a bit more cautious, and the gap grew to around 2 seconds. Tyler kept it all together perfectly and just kept it on the black stuff to the end, me crossing the line in second.

End of the day I got 2nd overall, increasing my lead in the class chamionship. Great success!

Image Link Broken
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

CONGRATS !!

Watching from the pavilion it is easy to forget the comeradery in the pits. As hard as you fight for the win, it is great to see you pitching in to get the competition back on the track. RESPECT !!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks, Chris!

Yeah we all try to help wherever we can. It makes our racing series a bit more special
Last edited by Dodging on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Oh yes - the tv coverage from the last race is on Ignition TV this week. Just look for the 'Extreme Festival of Motorsport'
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dodging wrote:Oh yes - the tv coverage from the last race is on Ignition TV this week. Just look for the 'Extreme Festival of Motorsport'
Cool, will keep a lookout for the "blue bomber"! :D:
Congrats on your successes so far! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars

Post by Mars »

Lekker man Andre!!!!!
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

well done man !
also great to see the interview. at last can put a face to the name.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

Brilliant!

Thanks for the interesting write-up as well.

Best day racing is when everyone gets home safe and sound with no damage to the vehicles :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Did some work on the car today.

With the last race meeting when I filled the car with petrol I got a rather disturbing leak. It was so far away from the usual area where Corsas get fuel leaks I thought the tank was ruptured. So today I dropped the tank. Tank is fine, it seems it was the degasser pipe that somehow got fuel in it and pushed it out. Saw the one breather pipe was starting to persih, so I replaced that too. After checking that everything was working again, I did a bolt and nut check on the rear suspension. All is well there.

Next I got the front on tressles and started stripping some suspension components out. Need to make some alterations which would reduce the amount of understeer and hopefully get me out of the corners a bit faster - kinda need it because I am suffering on the straights...

Want to get the car back together as soon as I can so I can get the other Corsa into the garage - loads to do there...

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

other Corsa ..... sounds interesting .....
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Wow! What a weekend!

Arrived at Phakisa Thursday evening around midnight. Practice on Friday was not spectacular - found that I was 2 seconds off Tyler's pace. I tried all I could but I just could not find a way to go faster. I also heard a nasty noise coming from the right rear wheelbearing. Replaced the bearings on both sides and called it a day.

Qualifying:
On the out lap I heard a horrible noise on the left front wheel whenever I turned to the right. Went into the pits immediately, and found the fender was catching on the tyre. We just bent it a bit, and out I went again. Landed up behind Theunis, and gave him some room before I started my first flying lap. Unfortunately he lost it through turn 1. The car shot across the track into the barrier and ended up lying on its side. Thankfully he was fine. The session subsequently got red flagged, which meant I had no qualifying time. Back of the grid start then...

The race:
Lined up on the grid in position 40, with Graham Savage taking up the final spot. Pace car took us out, and the field got nicely bunched up for the rolling start. As we were entering the final turn the race was already underway, so we just gunned it. Had a great run down the straight, and managed to overtake a car through turn 1. Managed to overtake a good number of cars in the first 5 laps, with Graham sticking with me all the way. Set about trying to catch Alex, but I was not making any real ground on him. At this stage Graham was also starting to hound me, so I decided to let him through to see if we could then catch up to Alex. This worked well - got a nice tow from him down the straights where his car is quite a bit faster than mine. Pretty soon we were with Alex, and the three of us started chasing Alta down who was now leader in my class. As Alex started pressurising her, she put a wheel on the dirt and spun around. We all got through cleanly, and I was now leading my class. Alex, Graham and myself then had a nice little battle where we all swopped position a couple of times.

Around lap 16 we had safety car come out. I signalled to the guys on the pit wall that I was coming in for the compulsory stop, and they got themselves ready. As I stopped and switched the car off Hilton and Manny were already busy on the wheel. I jumped out, cleaned the windscreen and grabbed the fuel can. I was very surprised at how little fuel the car had used. Grabbed a couple of gulps of Powerade and jumped back in the car. I had barely finshed strapping in when I heard Manny torque the wheels, and I was out of there. Thankfully I didn't get caught by the safety car, so I just hoofed it to try catch the pack again. Didn't catch them before we were under a green flag again, but I made up a fair amount of ground.

Now I was just trying to maintain a good constant pace, and stay out of the way of the fast cars. I knew Tyler would be taking driving duties over soon from Robert though, so I could not afford to just cruise around. Things were fairly uneventful for a while, but then I noticed Tyler waaay back on the track in my mirror. Now I started going hell for leather again, but he was still closing in on me faster than a second per lap. I was desperate to see that chequered flag. With 2 laps to go Tyler was right on me - this was going to be the lap he overtakes me. As we entered the first of the two turns leading onto the back straight, he was right on my bumper. I looked in the mirror as I entered the straight, and Tyler was gone. Sadly the studs on the left front wheel broke and he parked it on the oval. End of the next lap the chequered flag came out.

Got a huge surprise at the prizegiving though - I got 3rd on index of performance! Finished 19th overall from 41 starters

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

NICE :)
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

I so look forward to the race tales. Great stuff Dodging!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks guys! What really made it happen was the decision to go in for the pit stop while the safety car was on track. That coupled with the lightning work of the pit crew sealed the deal!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Oh yes - after this weekend's results, it seems I should be in the lead of the overall championship standings by about 4 points! 
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Oh yes - after this weekend's results, it seems I should be in the lead of the overall championship standings by about 4 points! 
WOW, that is great, well done!
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars

Post by Mars »

Dit is uitstekend Andre!!!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Small update

We had our post-race noggin on Wednesday. I was voted driver of the day, and also got the index winner of the day.

Awesome trophies sponsored by ASAP spares

Image Link Broken

Also received the latest on the points. Things are looking good

Image Link Broken

Return to “Build your own:”