My track Corsa - and so the season ends...

Members' DIY projects
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Re: My track Corsa - 2016 off to a great start!

Post by Dodging »

I have to make a plan with straight line speed. At Phakisa I was the slowest car in my class on the back straight by quite a bit. Problem is the way the car makes power more than the amount of power. I've got peak torque at 4000rpm and peak power between 5200 and 5900.

So hopefully I can get it sorted with this:

Image Link Broken
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Wat se injector throttle bodies is daardie? Lyk netjies. Ek hoop dit werk sommer mooi. Ek lei af jy wi jou "power band" bietjie afbring?
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Dis van n GSXR 750 af. Eintlik n klein bietjie groot, maar ek is nie agter meer krag aan nie - wil net die krag verder in die rpm range hê sodat ek nie op 6000 hoef te verander na die volgende rat nie. My kar rev tot 7000 sonder probleem, maar hy trek nie sterk van 6000 af nie... Hopelik sal die lot die job doen
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Andre, can you not achieve this through re-mapping the ECU? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

If memory serves me Andre had to slightly de-tune the car to get inside the power limits of the class ....

This pose a problem - higher torque at lower revs will/may push him over that power limit again.

it becomes a juggling act as to where one want the power, out the corners, or top end .....
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, I understand that, but you can adjust it so that you stay within the limits but bring in more power higher up in the rev range.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Yes it is a massive balancing act. I have a fully tunable ECU, but it can only do what the hardware allows.

If anything, this setup will probably drop the torque by a couple of Nm. This I don't mind too much, because right now my minimum weight is determined by the torque. Problem is that the peak torque is where I never use it at 4000rpm.

Ultimately my main hope with this is to just extend the power curve deeper into the 6000-7000 rpm range. Right now we have it tuned to a lovely flat curve, but it is a bit too low down for my liking and it only lasts for about a 600 to 700rpm stint before dropping off drastically at 6200rpm

If I was just after peak power we can comfortably take it up by another 7 or 8kw, but then the weight I have to carry becomes silly

Racecars neh...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

jip, balancing act is a very apt description. :)

Andre if I may ask a strange question - why are YOU leading the championship ? What have YOU got that they dont have .... one may think you have a better "package" at the moment. Is it really worth risking your package to improve one part of the package ? But then again, winners are rarely defensive thinkers .....

DO hope you manage to move one step closer to that elusive perfect package.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Hey Chris

The only thing I can think that really gave me the edge is preparation. I do all I can to make sure the car is ready before I get to the track. Generally in my day at the track the only thing to do on the car is check tyre pressures and add fuel. I see so many guys at the track having to do major work on their cars on race day... This has given me excellent reliability so far this season, and I just hope it continues that way.

The other thing is I know I'm not always the fastest guy there. This makes it critical to be consistent on the track and try as hard as possible to not make a mistake. If I am leading a faster guy I try to control his pace by driving smartly - if someone is faster than you, it doesn't help trying to fend him off by looking for pace you just don't have. So then I try eliminate the advantage he has over me on certain parts of the track by actually going slower. I also keep in mind when I'm not the fastest that a 2nd or 3rd place is better than a DNF

Then there's probably a bit of luck involved too

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dodging on Tue May 10, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Oh and in terms of the package - it has taken a lot of time, research and effort, but I have one of the better handling cars in the series. It may not be the fastest out there, but it is superb in the tight stuff and under braking

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dodging wrote:Oh and in terms of the package - it has taken a lot of time, research and effort, but I have one of the better handling cars in the series. It may not be the fastest out there, but it is superb in the tight stuff and under braking Image

there-in lies the secret.

Power is useless if you cant use it ....

BUT, I think your calculated race-behaviour is the best single item in your package. Most drivers just cant handle the adrenaline overload is well as you.

would be a scary package if you now still improve on the power delivery as well !!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Got me a sponsor! Lots to do this weekend to change the livery on the car
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dodging wrote:Got me a sponsor! Lots to do this weekend to change the livery on the car
dont forget the most import step - peeeeechasss for this here forum !

CONGRATS !!!!!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Shees - two busy days. Rainy weather is not ideal for painting projects, but it had to be done!

How awesome is this rain by the way?

So started yesterday pulling everything off the car that needed a colour change, and today I finished everything. Even re-painted the front bumper that has a fat hole in it - will replace it when the funds are available.

Today my son jumped in with some cleaning wax to get all the black marks off the car from all the flying pieces of rubber at Phakisa. He did a stellar job, and the white is WHITE again.

Said goodbye to La Linea, and pulled the stickers off. Was fun having him on the car for the last year and a bit.

Anyways, here's a pic or two I took today while we were still busy

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

I also painted the wheels black, but the light wasn't any good for photos. Will take some again in daylight

The green is going to take some getting used-to haha. Although I am not a fan of green, I think it came out rather well. The overall look of the car is now more business-like than before, I think

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Looking GR8, all it needs now is a 4x4Direct Sticker
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Not bad at all, but I think I still like the white / blue livery better.:winkx:

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Jaaa I was rather fond of the blue...

Here it is now, ready for stickers

Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I know what sticker will go nice with the Green :cooldude:
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Ooooooh yes!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Saw the proposed design of the stickers today - gonna look epic!

Mars

Post by Mars »

Great for you to get a sponsor. I will paint it pink if a sponsor requires that. You get to do what you love and another guy is helping with the costs!!
Llew Mac
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kraaifontein
Vehicle: 1996 hilux 2,8D dc Lexus v8

Post by Llew Mac »

An absolutely stellar effort my man.........

congratulations on the wins and being a brilliant sportsman for helping the competition in the pits......

WHAT A GREAT EXAMPLE UR SETTING FOR SO MANY OF US.....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ag nee man ....

moet ons nou so lank vir pics van daai stickers .....

dit moet darem LEKKER voel !! GELUK !!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Got stickered today. Looks awesome!!

Will take some pics tomorrow at the track

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

And thanks all for the kind words !

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Race report - 21 May 2016 at Zwartkops Extreme Festival

Arrived at the track on Friday. Did all my preparation and went out for my first session. Really battled with the car sliding all over the show, but as the session progressed the tyres slowly starting getting better. Was way off the pace at this stage, only managing a 1:20.1, while other guys in my class were running as fast as 1:18's. Went out for the second session, and my times improved a bit to a 1:19.4. I was still off the pace, but as I always say: "You bring what you got, and leave with what you get.". Packed everything up and went off to bed.

Saturday morning we got to the track at 7h00 and got ready for the qualifying session at 8h15. Just started getting going, when I heard this horrible noise on the rear of the car. Sounded like something was disintegrating, and headed into the pits. After checking the car, I found one nut had come loose from the fuel tank's cradle straps. Fixed it up, and got ready for the race.

Race 1
I lined up in my grid slot in 4th position. Looked up and realised I could not see the lights - problem... I got caught out badly with the start, and had a lot of work to do. Managed to work my way through to second, with Tyler disappearing out front in 1st. After a couple of laps I caught up with a slower class B car. We went into turn 8 very slowly and one of my best mates just had nowhere to go and hit me hard on the left rear wheel. I got spun around, but managed to get it pointed in the right direction on the dirt and got back on the track. Tony got through in to second, me running third. In the accident the rear axle got bent, and the alignment on the left rear wheel was way out. This made driving the car rather interesting, with the rear stepping out constantly when turning to the right. There was also the constant whine of the tyre catching on the fender which always play on your mind - you constantly wonder when is this tyre going to call it quits. I soldiered on as best I could, trying to keep a gap on the the guy in 4th position, but eventually Robert caught me and went past. Managed to keep it on track and crossed the line in 4th position.

Got back into the pits and assessed the damage. Took the wheel off, and with a fine adjustment tool (4-pound hammer), sorted out the fender that was catching on the tyre. I pulled the car into Hilton's workshop (Protek Performance), and we had a look at what the situation with the rear alignment was. The left rear wheel was sitting at over 4 degrees negative camber, and pointing over 30 minutes toe-out. Alex was around in a flash to give me a hand, and we set about trying to get a working solution. Time was ticking though - the second race for the bike classes was called off due to the amount of oil on the track, so our next race was being brought forward. We managed to get a working solution about 10 minutes before the next race, with the wheel set at 2.5 degrees negative camber and 10 minutes toe-out.

Race 2
Thanks to the grid reversal, I was starting this race in 2nd position. Had a great start, and was leading my class coming out of turn 1. All hell broke loose in turn 2, where three cars came together right next to me. Thankfully I was on the outside of turn 2, and managed to just go onto the rumble strip and avoid the mayhem. As I exited turn 2 I looked in the mirrors and I had a good gap on the rest of my class. I just kept I head down and went for it. End of lap 1 as I went into turn 8, The rear end let go in a BIG way. I was completely sideways, foot flat in third gear countersteering like a drifting champion and managed to pull it straight... That pit wall was awfully close. This cost me a lot of time, and I could see Tyler made up a lot of time, Tony in tow. Tyler then overtook me on the outside of turn 4 (Epic pass by him there), and a lap or two later Tony passed me going into turn 5. We had a good battle for the rest of the race, but we crossed the line with Tyler 1st, Tony 2nd and me third.

When the combined results were posted, I finished 3rd overall for the day.

Was a tough weekend, but the results were still good.

To my sponsors:

Pro Auto Rubber
4x4 Direct
Protek Performance
JR Panel and Paint

Thank you so very much for your support. Without you guys, all of this would be impossible.

Thanks for reading my race report!

Image Link Broken
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

CONGRATS !!

you really salvaged you championship standings despite a lot of bad luck.

but that is what separates the great drivers from the good ones. Bad luck is part of the game. Limiting your losses on these days is what makes the difference.

4x4Direct - respect for supporting one of our own !!!!!!!!!!!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Well done Andre. I am so glad to see you can make a plan and fight until the end.
The car looks nice with the new stickers.
:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks guys!

Yes this weekend was not the ideal result in terms of the championship, but I would not call it a disaster. I think I will be in 2nd position after this weekend, trailing first by 2 points.

Will be putting some work in on the car to try sort out the straight-line speed. Will also have to get the rear wheel alignment fixed, then also some cosmetic things that need to be sorted
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Had a quick look at the points and results - should be in 2nd place in the overall championship. Trailing first by 2 points, leading 3rd by 1 point...
Mars

Post by Mars »

Well done Andre.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Love read these race day report backs! Keep up the excellent work!

BTW... isn't that British racing green?
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks guys!

Naah the BRG is a bit deeper. Needed to make the once blue bits green asap, so I just bought rattle cansas a quick fix.

Getting paint mixed this week to match the vinyl. I just can't stand the colour difference haha

Also gonna change the colour of the wheels - the black doesn't do it for me...

Also need to make a plan to build a manifold for them throttles...
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

This should make for some interesting footage

Image Link Broken

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016060 ... 980f45.jpg[/img]
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Congrats Andre, car is looking awesome. Should get some good clips from the cam. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Been a busy weekend. Re-painted all the green bits to match the vinyl on the car. Came out pretty.

Had to do a temporary job on the wheels as there just wasn't enough time to make them the way I wanted. Will send them for sand blasting after the next race and then sort them out from there.

Everything is justabout ready for race day - wheels just need balancing still.

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Colour match is pretty darn close
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

The green looks much better :thumbup:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: RE: Re: My track Corsa - 2016 off to a great start!

Post by Dodging »

pietpetoors wrote:The green looks much better :thumbup:
And then some!

The different shades of green irked me to no end Image
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Shoe!!!!! Loved reading this. Keep it coming PLEASE!!!!!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Ready for Thursday!

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Like the white wheels, where is Thursday's race?
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Looking very good.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Thanks Guys. We'll be at Zwartkops on Thursday
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Good Luck !
Hope it runs smooth this time. :thumbup:
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Changing the length of your intake tube/pipe will change how/where the car makes power. Maybe fiddle with that a bit.
Real drivers use three pedals
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Sneak peek

Image Link Broken
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

So then

Race report for Thursday.

In short, a really bad day. Started off with qualifying, where I ran fastest in class by a fair margin. Unfortunately I was 1kg underweight, and had to start on the back of the grid.

Had a good start in race 1, and was soon running in third position. The guys in first and second were having a collossal fight for the lead, and I was just looking for a gap to get through as I knew I had the pace to then leave them behind. The fight between these two got more and more heated, until eventually one pushed the other off track. He lost it badly on the dirt on the outside of the track, came back in and collected me. The initial impact broke the front left suspension in various places, and sent me into the barrier on the inside of the track. Bounced off the barrier, spun around and the car came to a halt on the outside of the track again.

Car is hurt real bad

Here's a video of it:

https://youtu.be/mGB0U8_7ivc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 1a3b25.jpg[/img]

Image Link Broken

[IMG]_resize//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160617/4aed6df894a17ca57ea42a394613a54b.jpg[/IMG_resize]

Image Link Broken
Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Post by Pietman »

Eisch boet. Glad you are okay. Lots of damage, but I am sure you will come back stronger!!!
EX ALTO VINCIMUS
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

That is so disappointing after all the hard work you put into it. Metal can be repaired however, and it's good to know you were unharmed.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

NNNNNOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Shyte! Sorry Andre!

As Eric says, good to hear you are ok
Real drivers use three pedals
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Sorry Andre.

Any idea of the repair time ? HOPE you dont miss the next one !!!

do you know if the damage extends past the fenders ? HOPE the chassis is fine ...
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Well the next race is 9 August, so it should be possible to have it ready by then.

The 2 major issues are:
- left front chassis leg is bent. It looks like we should be able to straighten it and reinforce it.
- rear axle is bent. Badly... Will have to throw it away

Other throwaway items are:
Front lights
Bumper
2 rims
1 tyre
Radiator
Front engine mount
Sump
CV
Knuckle
Hub
Wheelbearing
Lower control arm
Ball joint
2 Fenders
Fender trims
4 H&R wheelstuds

There's probably more
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

:shock2: :slap:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hey, that's "fine" ... as long as the chassis/tub is repairable ...

this IS one sport where such an incident can wipe out months of work in a few seconds.

VERY glad it is not terminal damage !! still sad about the shopping list ....
Mars

Post by Mars »

That is terrible Andre. Good luck with the repair process.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

Latest on the points

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

een swak dag vir Jono en 7 manne baklei vir die lead ....

die gaan nog n goeie seisoen word !!!!

Voorspoed Andre, hoe vorder die herstel werk.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Kon jy al parte in die hande kry?
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dodging »

I'll be taking the car through to JR Panel & Paint tomorrow. Then we can get to work on that chassis leg.

In terms of parts, I'm sorted with the following:
Fenders
Bonnet (Hope to save the current one though)
Front suspension
Engine mount
Outer CV

Still have to organise the following:
Headlights
Tail light
Fender trims
Front bumper (So sad about the bumper sponsored by 4x4Direct that got killed without even completing one race )
Rear axle (Might just get lucky with this one)
Radiator
Brake disks (left one got broken)
Hub, bearing and studs

Motorsport is expensive, but crashing is very expensive haha

Return to “Build your own:”