ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Project RANGER

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER Map -
The next leg of this journey documents the evolution of a Ford RANGER from showroom floor to the camp ground. Paul, ORE on the forum starts the next episode in the journey with: “Chris jy gaan mos die elektries vir my doen.” Note, no question mark. I was just volunteered army style. 
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
Fact is, this provided me with the perfect opportunity to put into practice what was said previously in the “Electrickery” thread, AND to implement various new technologies.

In classic consulting fashion the project started around a braai – well truth be told, a slab of steak on the cast iron gas grill. Paul was here to discuss “electricity”, me being me, I asked a few questions:
- Electricity -
o Lights ?
o Power points (Hella) ?
o Solar ?
o 220V camp site connection ?
o Type of battery ?
- Water ? HUH ?? Yes, what are you planning around water inside your 4x4 ?
- Drawer system ?
- Where and how will the fridge be placed ?
- Gas ? Another HUH ? Yes, gas for cooking, what are your plans for this ?
- Compressor – loose or permanent fixture ?

All the while I am making notes of the answers, and of the unresolved items. The thought pattern being that I am trying to get clarity of EVERYTHING that has to go inside this 4x4. See, I paid the school fees and know that you can only get to some practical solution when you plan ahead. And with planning ahead I am aiming to identify those “must get to it quickly” items, and then finding the best spots for it. Who wants to unpack half the kit to get to a gas bottle or cooker top for the morning coffee .. kan mos nou nie rond kruip agter in n bakkie met n seer kop so vroeg in die more nie …

The ELDERS project was for a complete camper unit. Project RANGER is to be the more classic “bakkie with a Roof Top Tent”. Project Ranger is a single cab Ford with a lang-bak. The custom canopy was made by Metalian. Now it must be kitted to be ready for camp grounds, and equally ready for bush camping. In my book “ready” means the layout must be such that you can use all the amenities with minimal effort. Camping should NOT be a period noted by daily unpacking of the vehicle ! Part and parcel of this approach is the ease with which you can pack and prepare the vehicle at home for any trip.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER components -
Thus the basic items got sorted. Henk - https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate.Overland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - was kind enough to answer some questions for us. The last step was to visit Safari Centre to eye-ball some of the options that we would not be able to resolve around the braai. Four days to source the goods and ten days to finish the project … tell me again, how did I get myself into this ? :slap: :lmao:

- Electricity -
o HCdP Mk4 Power Panel - more about this stunning panel later – 4x4Direct
o Lights – Combined White & Yellow 12 LED lights – 4x4Direct
o Power points (Hella) – one power point per canopy side box
o Solar – one of 100W panel. Due to the RTT it was not possible to permanently mount the panel in the sun. The panel is transported inside the RTT, and allows the vehicle to be parked in the shade with the panel placed in the sun, using an extension lead – 4x4Direct
o 220V camp site connection – A caravan plug was added.
o Type of battery – we opted for a classic 105A.h DIXON from 4x4Direct.
- Water – grey tank for minimal plastic taste, with a Shurflo water pump.
- Fridge – Placed on a slider mounted above the drawer system.
- Gas – custom bracket was made to fit the gas bottle inside one of the boxes.
- Compressor – Permanent fixture
3.JPG
3.JPG (53.11 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
The following suppliers deserve a mention for their outstanding service, in alphabetical order :
- 4x4Direct – http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Pieter and George were absolutely outstanding ! ALL electrical items from the HCdP panel to the lights and power points were sourced from them.
- Metalian – http://www.metalian.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Once again Heinz delivered on his reputation for attention to detail. I am particularly impressed in how he used existing bolt-points to install the canopy without drilling even one hole into the cab ! The finishes are simply superb.
- Safari Centre N1 Goodwood – They supplied and fitted the RTT, awning, and slider. They also helped us with advice and we bought the water tank, pump and various other items here. There were some slight issues, they resolved it without any issues.

And then it was my turn to try and match the service levels of these guys. Heinz you set the bar HIGH !! :shock2:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER water -
Step one was to make a base to which the water tank and battery could be fixed to without drilling holes into the Ranger. A wooden base was cut to fit snugly between the cab and the slider, with wheel arch cut outs limiting sideways movement
4.JPG
Filling the water tank is one of those things that often turn into a pain, as the filler point is most often not easily accessible. Fitting a caravan water filler point turned into a sub-project all of its own. Now what’s the fun of having water and struggling to top up your whiskey glass? Time for a water pump and tap. :cooldude: :laugh2: :subscribed:
5.JPG
5.JPG (44.49 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
5a.JPG
5a.JPG (61.82 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (48.49 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (74.61 KiB) Viewed 6718 times

I drilled a 0,5mm hole in the valve cap to prevent a vacuum in the water tank, then also added an ON/OFF switch next to the tap as an easy way to ensure the pump stays off when you don’t need water. (rubber was placed between the copper pipe and the aluminium)

The battery was mounted next to the water tank. A battery can become a heavy missile in an accident, thus I bolt this down properly. The other danger is the possibility of shorting out the poles and causing damage or worse a vehicle fire ! Thus the upside down battery box.
9.JPG
9.JPG (50.28 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
Attachments
9a.JPG
9a.JPG (60.07 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER electrickery – Power INPUTS -

Okay, this is an electrickery thread, so let’s look at the complete electrical installation starting with the three power inputs.

From the alternator (primary battery) a pair of cables was run to the electrical panel -
- 50A fuse at the front battery
- 10mm square wires, both positive and negative, from the primary battery to the HCdP Mark 4 Power Panel.
10.JPG
10.JPG (62.41 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
11.JPG
11.JPG (67.02 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
The use of “split loom tubing” really helps to tidy up the installation. :cooldude: We also used split loom tubing to protect the wires as it passed under the cab.

The second power input is from the back of the Ranger, where there is a 220V caravan input plug. Was nerve racking to cut a hole into the brand new canopy !!
12.JPG
12.JPG (44.39 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

From the side we have our third power input, the solar panel.
14.jpg
14.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

These three power sources all feed into the Mark 4 Power Panel from HCdP –
- http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/index. ... duct_id=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
15.JPG
15.JPG (42.22 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

Why did we go for THIS panel ?

It is the only product on our market that can take all three inputs into a single unit, do some clever stuff inside and use the optimal input as it becomes available – without the user having to spare it a second thought.
16.JPG
16.JPG (53 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
17.JPG
17.JPG (34.89 KiB) Viewed 6717 times

Once it has this input power it then does (almost) everything you can wish for:
- The 220V is available from a 2 point, and a 3 point plug. (If you have a 220V input at the time)
- The 220V drives a charger for the second battery.
- The solar is used to charge the battery.
- The alternator power charges the battery at a maximum rate of 12A, AND it drives the fridge without reducing the charge rate to the battery.
- The Mk4 Power Panel goes further to provide the following outputs –
o 2 off light circuits
o Fridge circuit (for ONE fridge only)
o Pump circuit, for a water pump
o Power sockets (this could potentially be used for a second fridge)

In short, this panel provides in a single unit what would otherwise be multiple units, taking up space and causing a much more complicated system AND taking much longer to install. All for the price of a Ctek 250 S !
Last edited by ChrisF on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER electrickery – Power OUTPUTS -

Before buying the Mk4 Power Panel I asked Henk if there were any tricks I should know about.

Henk’s answer: “Die dokumentasie is volledig en beskrywend genoeg dat my ouma dit kan installeer …”.

Okay, I will admit that I wondered if his ouma has an electrical degree. Fact is, the documentation IS brilliant !! And the installation truly is a breeze !
18.jpg
18.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
19.JPG
19.JPG (78.1 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
The primary output is via a brad-harrison plug to charge the 2nd battery.

Lights – We opted for 5 LED sets, providing white and yellow light. Must say the 12 LED units emit a lot more light than what I expected.
20.JPG
20.JPG (35.76 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
24.JPG
24.JPG (38.06 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

Fitting it was a matter of attaching the two mounting brackets, and clipping in the light bar. Wiring was a simple matter of solder and insulation. Velcro is very handy. :cooldude:

Power Points – Hella points were installed. The challenge with these installations are the exposed power points, thus we opted to install these in small boxes.
25.JPG
25.JPG (53.87 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
26.JPG
26.JPG (28.65 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

In keeping with the times we also fitted a set of USB charger sockets.

Water Pump – We installed a Shurflo pump with automatic pressure controlled on/off functionality. We also opted for an inline particulate filter. We installed an extra on\off switch in series, next to the tap. The wiring for this is simply from the panel output to the pump.
27.JPG
27.JPG (61.5 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

Fridge – a separate set of wires and Hella power point was installed for the fridge.

Compressor – The Mk4 panel does not have a dedicated circuit for the compressor, very understandable, since some of the twin head compressors use a LOT of power. I wired the compressor directly from the 2nd battery, by connecting it to the same Brad Harrison plug at the Panel that connects to the battery.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

maxed out the number of photos in the previous chapter.

here is the photo of the compressor power point -
28a.jpg
28a.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
and here is the compressor, permanently installed -
29.JPG
29.JPG (61.15 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Project RANGER the other stuff -
Canopy – Metalian manufactured and installed the canopy.
30.JPG
30.JPG (53.7 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

Roof Top Tent (RTT) – Paul, ORE on the forum, opted for the hard shell unit from WildEarth, provided and installed by Safari Centre - http://www.wildearth.co.za/products/rooftop-tent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
31.JPG
31.JPG (60.52 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

Drawer system – A six ammo box Frontrunner slider unit was provided and installed by Safari Centre. It was pointed out before the sale that the thin wood cover of this unit is not suitable to carry heavy items. We thus installed a 22mm board, with an angle iron section in front to ensure sufficient strength.

I also installed a 50x50 angle iron section and pull down hooks to provide best functionality of the unit.
32.JPG
32.JPG (55.24 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

The Metalian canopy provides four side boxes. Paul had very clear ideas of what each side box should “do”.

Box 1 – Wet kitchen
33.jpg
33.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

Box 2 – Pantry
34.jpg
34.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

Box 3 – Recovery and tools (apparently these are very special ropes from Securetech - he can PUSH Hiluxes out of the mud with these ropes)
35.jpg
35.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

Box 4 – Electrical and compressor
36.jpg
36.jpg (53.7 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

And the end result – a very happy Paul.
40.jpg
40.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 6711 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done Chris on a neat and well thought out installation! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Great stuff Chris.. :thumbup: :thumbup: I see on HcdP's site that the panel you used is discontinued?? :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

WOW, great job Chris :thumbup: Jou werk is baie netjies!
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

ThysdJ wrote:Great stuff Chris.. :thumbup: :thumbup: I see on HcdP's site that the panel you used is discontinued?? :shock: :shock:
Waar sien jy dit?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:Great stuff Chris.. :thumbup: :thumbup: I see on HcdP's site that the panel you used is discontinued?? :shock: :shock:
Thys ek sien ook die nota op hul blad - wonder of dit net n web-fout is ...

Die paneel is 15 dae terug gemaak vir ons. EN hulle het so pas die reeks opgegradeer om ook die Lead-Crystal batterye te hanteer ....

glo dit sal nog lank beskikbaar wees. :)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Kyk hierso... :shock: :shock:
hcdp_disc.png
hcdp_disc.png (269.44 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dis 'n baie nice panel en doen alles en baie meer as wat mens verwag. Dis hoekom ek verbaas is daaroor... Miskien is dit net 'n fout, of dalk het die demand bietjie die supply ge-overtake? Veral nou met die beurtkragte en so aan... :think: :think:
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Paneel is 4 Desember 2014 gemaak :)

Onthou ook hulle het n hele reeks ander panele vir treilers .... :)

MAAR - dit is NIE "splash proof" nie ... so beslis net vir party installasies !!
Attachments
DSCN1719.JPG
DSCN1719.JPG (46.16 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:Dis 'n baie nice panel en doen alles en baie meer as wat mens verwag. Dis hoekom ek verbaas is daaroor... Miskien is dit net 'n fout, of dalk het die demand bietjie die supply ge-overtake? Veral nou met die beurtkragte en so aan... :think: :think:
dalk kort hulle n nuwe webmaster .... ken jy dalk iemand ? :siffler: :subscribed:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

pietpetoors wrote:WOW, great job Chris :thumbup: Jou werk is baie netjies!
dankie Pieter.

Nou wag ek net vir n paar inverters ... dan kan ek weer bietjie speel ... hint hint .... :siffler:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Ek sien nou.Daai is die MK4 R00.
Chris jy het die MK4 R01 :thumbup:
http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/index. ... duct_id=48
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

OOOOOO so die fout le by Chris?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ThysdJ wrote:OOOOOO so die fout le by Chris?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted: Hy moet erens fouteer :twisted:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Well done Chris... :clap:
Paul is lucky to have a competant friend like you... :angel: :laugh2: :lmao: :yahoo:
Your work is very neat and well thought out... :cooldude: I would love to see similar Photographs of your set-up... :siffler:
I think that I did mention this when you mentioned getting your camper... :think: :subscribed:
Maybe I missed the pitchas... :blackeye: :surrender:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:OOOOOO so die fout le by Chris?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sorry oubaas. die mechanic hy is bieter mittie tools assie comper ... :tease:

Dankie George - ek het sommer die link daarbo gaan reg maak ook.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

something for Paul to remember the hours in the garage by -
Untitled-1 (Small).jpg
Untitled-1 (Small).jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Erg netjies Chris ! En 'n Baie tevrede Fordjie. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Baie mooi gedoen Chris. :thumbup: :thumbup:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

wag nou vir Paul om n paar fotos te bring.

Hy het sopas n lekker trippie gedoen, onder andere DRIE DAE GESTAAN in Die Hel !

Vrek WARM

Geen 220V

Net die 100W solar panel om als aan die gang te hou.

na drie dae was die yskas steeds op temperatuur, en battery gelaai.

Die water stelsel het goed gewerk.

Enigste probleem - stof agter in die canopy .... Pieter\George ek het vir Paul vertel van jul "Vent" .... sien julle vroeg in die nuwe jaar :)
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Wow Chris :shock2:

Dis fantasties gedoen, baie geluk :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Build your own:”