SFA immobilizer/anti theft device modification

Members' DIY projects
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

SFA immobilizer/anti theft device modification

Post by ôita »

I need some help/advice from the electronic gurus please....

I have one of the "earphone jack" type pin thingies that I have to push in quickly before I can start the bakkie. You do not have to leave it in....I was thinking of taking that thing out and replacing it with one of those very small 6mmx6mm tact/tacktile momentary button switches and hide it somewhere.

Will it not do the same job in this instance? The difference being out of sight. My logic tells me I'm just replacing a switch with another switch.
Thank you in advance
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Re: SFA immobilizer/anti theft device modification

Post by Cleaner »

It could work, depending on how advance the electronics of the Immobilizer system is. If it is just 'n closed circuit contact that needs to be present momentarily, then it will work, but I have seen some of those earphone type plugs that is more complicated.

They have a resistor of specific value inside and unless that value registered is the same, the immobilizer won't switch. This is to prevent the circuit from just being closed by bypassing the "dongle". You can test this by opening the part where you plug the headphone jack in, the female side and short the pins on the back out with a short wire. If the vehicle can still start, then it is just a closed circuit contact and you can put in any type of switch you like to close the circuit momentarily to start the vehicle.
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Re: SFA immobilizer/anti theft device modification

Post by ôita »

Thanx Ernst...
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict

Return to “Build your own:”