Members' DIY projects
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Fitment of my Roof Top Tent to my Hilux

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

:yahoo: So Ladies and Gentlemen last week I was very happy to be able to buy a 2nd hand Esi Awn RTT from a friend in East London. I thus brought this RTT back to Queenstown on the rear of my friends Landcruiser and a load of other junk.

Now as most of you will know, the main thing or the reason why people fit RTT tents to their vehicles are as follows;

1. When on a safari through Africa sometimes there might be wild animals in the area and most people "think" that they are safer in a RTT higher off the ground above their vehicle and thus have protection against Lions and Tigers?

2. A RTT is easy to erect when on the move, in other words after a long day of driving it is easy to stop and just erect the tent.

There are also negative aspects to remember as well:

1. The higher the RTT is fitted the less the centre of gravity the vehicle will have.

2. The higher the tent is fitted, even at roof level of the vehicle the more drag the vehicle will have and thus the more fuel you will use.

3. Taking a P at night or during the day and there are wild animals around is also something to think about as well.

So I am now busy making up my own support frame work to fit the RTT to my 1992 Toyota Hilux bakkie, I will be mounting this frame between the two roll bars on the rear of my Hilux so that the door and ladder will be on the right side of the bakkie, when open the floor of the RTT will give me some shade and maybe some protection against rain.

This RTT that I have purchased has been on many travels through out Africa and SWA over the last twelve years. It is a very hardy tent and it is still in an excellent condition.

I still have to remove the frame work again, give it some black primer and then re-fit it again.

At least I do not have to worry about pulley or hoist systems to take it on or off the bakkie, I will just leave it on the bakkie and leave the bakkie as normal parked away in the garage at home.

Any ideas from you will be appreciated.

IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Fitment of my Roof Top Tent to my Hilux

Post by ThysdJ »

They say Simaon.... the first signs of getting old is permanently fitting a roofrack or a rtt to your vehicle.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:They say Simaon.... the first signs of getting old is permanently fitting a roofrack or a rtt to your vehicle.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sê die man met n RTT op die broodblik ... :siffler: :tease:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Juis laas week n man gesien met n CUSTOM canopy. Die canopy is seker so 300mm hoog, met sy vlappe en kassies en al daai dinge ...

Met die RTT op is die dak-lyn nou gelyk na agter .... Lyk GOED
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Simoan as the saying goes - truth is stranger than fiction !!

A group did the classic Botswana 4x4 tour last year. One night the roar of lions were VERY close by - either IN the camp or only a few meters away ....

After a "good braai" the gent found himself in a predicament up in that RTT .... he HAD TO "go" .... but being a male has its advantages .... so he gets out the tent, stands on the ladder and relieves himself ....

But as we all know, a "good braai" and standing steady are not friends .... two steps forward and three back works okay on level ground, not so much when you are on a ladder.

Not sure what is worse .... falling off a ladder OR falling onto wet ground, that you just wetted yourself, OR doing a full Bots trip with a stuffed back that requires a back-op when back home .....

RTT ladders really should come with a comprehensive warning letter.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

ChrisF wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:They say Simaon.... the first signs of getting old is permanently fitting a roofrack or a rtt to your vehicle.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not permanently fitted Mr School Bus... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
Not permanently fitted Mr School Bus... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BOS Bus .... nie skool bus nie ... :tease: :siffler:

Return to “Build your own:”