Copying the Aussies

Members' DIY projects
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Copying the Aussies

Post by smokintyres »

This idea has been running through my head and been put on paper a while ago already. This year I took the plunge and took the standard "bak" off and built my own flatbed. This is the initial outcome:

I fabricated a platform to the dimensions I hoped would work out large enough, yet not too large.
2015-12-27 14.25.17.jpg
2015-12-30 17.41.00.jpg
2015-12-30 17.42.28.jpg
Then it was time to take the bak off.
2016-01-03 12.54.55.jpg
After sorting out a few flaws that revealed themselves with the bak off for the first time since I got the bakkie (8 years ago)
2016-01-03 13.06.14.jpg
2016-01-03 13.22.37.jpg
2016-01-03 13.23.34.jpg
2016-01-03 14.52.38.jpg
Auxiliary fuel tank bracket:
2016-01-05 16.02.11.jpg
2016-01-05 16.02.25.jpg
2016-01-05 16.02.32.jpg
And then test fit the platform:
2016-01-03 14.15.49.jpg
So far so good Image

Time for a Rollbar! There are plenty of options, ranging from perfectly matched to practical; I opted towards the practical side, following the cab angle to some degree:
2016-01-05 17.48.21.jpg
2016-01-05 17.56.32.jpg
The Rollbar got a bit of support, yet allowing the spare wheels to be mounted against the Rollbar.
2016-01-06 16.05.01.jpg
Time for the chequer plate:
2016-01-09 13.52.20.jpg
I'm pretty chuffed with the result so far. Wheel arches, mudflaps and boxes behind the wheel arches to follow.
2016-01-09 17.45.05.jpg
Last edited by smokintyres on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Copying the Aussies

Post by The Legend »

Very very nice job. Well done
Last edited by The Legend on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Seems Tapatalk pulled a stunt on me. Will add the photos as soon as I am at the PC again.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Waiting patiently for the photos :)
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I think the pictures might be too big. If you load them on the normal forum software, the forum will warn you that they are too big, but Tapatalk does not warn you.

The load bin looks very nice. :thumbup:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Photos are up;)
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

pietpetoors wrote:I think the pictures might be too big. If you load them on the normal forum software, the forum will warn you that they are too big, but Tapatalk does not warn you.

The load bin looks very nice. :thumbup:
Thanks Pieter, size must have definitely been the issue. Just shows how long ago I have posted on here :blushing:
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by GMan »

Lyk windgat ! I like !
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Love it!! I still wonder why we dont get a cab-chassis option as standard the same way the Aussies do. Flat tray backs are ideal and very practical even for overlanding, as you dont waste any space with curves and stuff.

Great job!!
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Was never a fan of the Aussie flatbeds - they just looked too weird BUT this has changed my outlook.

Very nicely done. :mexwave:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Very neat work, looks great! Well done! :thumbup:

What is the reason that you have placed the roll-bar supports so far into the flat-bed. From what I can see they are removable but surely this interferes with the practicality of an open load space? Or are you planning on building a canopy over the flat-bed and utilising the side spaces for side access packing compartments (kitchen unit etc.), and centre for drawer system maybe ? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toyrover
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: HULL
Vehicle: Mk1 3.9 litre V8 LPG Hilux

Post by Toyrover »

Looks good

I too have a flatback fabrication very similar to yours. Miles more useful.

Hopefully have some piccies when its back on the truck :thumbup:
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Very nice really wouldn't doing the same to mine. I agree way more practical than a bak
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Thanks all for the compliments :D:
Mud Dog wrote:Very neat work, looks great! Well done! :thumbup:

What is the reason that you have placed the roll-bar supports so far into the flat-bed. From what I can see they are removable but surely this interferes with the practicality of an open load space? Or are you planning on building a canopy over the flat-bed and utilising the side spaces for side access packing compartments (kitchen unit etc.), and centre for drawer system maybe ? :think:

The rollbar supports just didn't look right stretched all the way to the back, also they are mounted just above the last mounting point on the frame, hence less stress on there. To be honest it also just looked a hell of a lot better :blushing: If I were to use the bakkie on a daily basis for transporting ladders or other long material, I would have done away with the angled supports and installed another frame on the end of the bed. They are however removable and will not be in the way should the full area of the bed be needed.

The design of a canopy, or actually bolt on "camper" is on paper already and the supports will be removed whenever the "camper" (always ready packed, except for perishables) is fitted to the bakkie for excursions into the wild. The spare wheels will remain, where they are.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

I like your way of thinking
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

I like, very nice!
Image Link Broken
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Great job. Looks really neat..

Before i bought Tarquins canopy I was also thinking of copying the Ausy canopies that are shaped to suit your new set up.. looks like they gat much more space.

If you need an easy 3D drawing program you should try "sketchup" it's a free download under a student license and is very very easy to use.. I taught myself how to use it in 3 days.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Rusti wrote:Great job. Looks really neat..

Before i bought Tarquins canopy I was also thinking of copying the Ausy canopies that are shaped to suit your new set up.. looks like they gat much more space.

If you need an easy 3D drawing program you should try "sketchup" it's a free download under a student license and is very very easy to use.. I taught myself how to use it in 3 days.
Thanks! :D:

There is definitely a lot more usable space. At the moment it's basically just the frame, with boxes and tanks etc to be added.

I have got ACAD (full version) and am fully proficient at it, as it forms part of my daily work. Since the bakkie is my only four wheeled mode of transport, I had little time available between removing the bak and drawing everything up. So for the load bed I measured and sketched as I went along. But for the remaining items I will draw up everything on ACAD, as I can now measure etc without the bakkie having to be dismantled. Also because I will have some of the boxes and tanks manufactured (depending on the costs) and an accurate drawing is definitely worthwhile then.

Thanks for the advice anyway, I have actually used sketchup as well before :thumbup:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Nice job, well done. Looks realy good. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Hi Gernot,

ACAD.. Is that short for Arci Cad? I hear Arci Cad is like Revit.. Great 3D intergratin while you draw in 2D.. I'm on Autocad all day so I use sketch up for my 3Ds..

That frame you've got is a great starting point for all your measurements etc. Looking forward to seeing future photos..
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Hi Duane, ACAD is short for Auto CAD and the full version (run off a fairly top spec PC) is fully 3D capable with a couple of tricks up its sleeves for mechanical services.

I have only worked on Solidworks at Technikon, and unfortunately don't remember much :oops:

The ArchiCAD program to my knowledge is well suited for architects, have not had a chance to work with it yet.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I like a lot :thumbup: Very good workmanship :thumbup:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

AutoCAD...eish...also have to use it from time to time to do our floor layouts. Not very user friendly nor intuitive

Now I know who to bug in future :mrgreen:
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Hi Stefan. Anytime you need advice don't hesitate.

In the mean time you should have a look at sketch up. . It's super easy and extremely user friendly. Google the tutorials. Might be more useful to you.
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

Very nice job. :thumbup: :thumbup: I was also thinking of donig it just have not gathered the courage to remove the load bin and start the process. The big thing is to get the basic mounting positions. If You have that you can design the camper or what you want and once you done you can install it. You can safe a lot of space and weight if you build a dedicated camper canopy.
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Jaans wrote:Very nice job. :thumbup: :thumbup: I was also thinking of donig it just have not gathered the courage to remove the load bin and start the process. The big thing is to get the basic mounting positions. If You have that you can design the camper or what you want and once you done you can install it. You can safe a lot of space and weight if you build a dedicated camper canopy.
Getting the mounting feet positions is fairly easy. I managed to measure, using the cab and frame as reference. Only the middle mounting feet were offset from the frame, the front and rear mounting feet are directly above the frame. So I ran two crossmembers in line with the bakkie's frame, allowing me to weld mounting plates directly onto them. The mounting plate for the middle mounting feet were reinforced slightly to allow for the offset and the accompanying stresses. The mounting plates were oversized to allow adjustments once the mounting feet and tray were to be joined. I prepared the mounting feet together with the tray, so that I could bolt the mounting feet into position, place the tray on top, adjust the position and tack weld the feet to the tray's mounting plates. I refrained from to much welding while the tray was still on the bakkie and when I did I used a large, soaking wet towel to prevent any sparks from igniting anything, especially close to the fuel tanks. :blink: Would probably be better to remove the tanks altogether, but time was not on my side...

So go for it, it is definitely worthwhile!!! I am still busy designing the undertray boxes and am collecting ideas for the canopy. But I am sure that I have gained a lot of space, although I am taking the sparewheel out from underneath the bakkie and mounting it on top of the tray.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Great idea and workmanship and also very practical.Well done.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I helped a friend to manufacture a flatbed for another vehicle.

He started with an outerframe, then cross beams to line up with the supports, then downstands and feet at each mounting point.

actually pretty easy doing it this way, and for this vehicle the mounting points were at different heights ....
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Saved myself one trip and a whole lot of fuel today. Would not have been able to load the launches with the more aerodynamic section facing forward, never mind both at the same time. Once you go Platbak you never go ba(c)k.
Launch.jpg
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Excellent. If you have a work horse than this is still the best idea
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Very nice job. A friend of mine moved to Australia. He always says that he cannot understand why all farmers do not have these plat bakke in South Africa. Once you have used one you will never want another normal bak.
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Nice one mate! Can't beat the practicality of a good tray! Tho mines not very practical, as long as I have room for my swag and eski who the hell cares! Can't beat that comp truck look!

Image Link Broken

Pic edit by F_D
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Thanks! Practicality vs look is not an easy decision to take: Heart vs Brain... :crazy:
A good looking rig you have, I like the way store your High Lift Jack :thumbup: How badly does it collect dust down there?
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

Cheers! Yeah the jack cops a fair bit of crap but it's also easy to hose of whenever the rig is washed.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Finally an update, only exactly a year later :blushing:

I had initially thought I could get the sheet metal work done by a specialist company since I didn't have the suitable equipment to tackle it myself. But the first quotation sort of left me in a state of shock. The price was dropped rather significantly for cutting and bending the material only and I wanted to move forward, but after two months of waiting and still no product in hand, I gave up and cancelled my order.

I spent almost exactly the amount they had wanted for manufacturing the boxes and fenders on a box and pan brake and some other tools instead and started experimenting. Turns out welding 1.2 or 1.6mm mild steel sheets is not impossible with a cheapy arc welder and some of the welds can actually remain as they are and don't need to undergo plastic surgery, i.e. grinding and body putty :blackeye:

Some photos of the progress so far:
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG
DSC_0139.JPG
DSC_0141.JPG
DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0151.JPG
Next step is to take the flatbed off again, add some proper supports for the fender and boxes, build and install the under tray drawer and properly coat everything it with stone chip. I will add a rubber mat to the bottom of the steel fender as well as to the inside to protect the fuel pipes and cables from any rocks stones and mud thrown around by the tyres. Initially the fender was supposed to protect the cab, but that would have meant removing the plastic wheel arches and having to close up the holes of the clips. The fender now only extends approximately 120mm along the cab to line up with the plastic arches.

The canopy is already drawn up and will be built soon after.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Gernot, love your job - very cool.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

This looks very cool! Always liked how the Aussies done it. Well done!

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

VERY VERY nice!!! Well done, looks Supercool!!
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by lukestoyzx »

You'll find we are guns at most things! Nice one!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

Nice, very nice... Well done.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Very cool, that's a project I've thinking of for a long time, turn the IFS into a camper.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Looks very good.The Ausies can learn something from you from this project.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Thanks guys!
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Sjoe sjoe sjoe, bitter netjies... Ek sal so 'n setup op my wishlist plaas.
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Post by Nick S »

Looks magic :thumbup:
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Great job, well done and neat.
My previous D/C I just cut out the wheel wells and put flat piece in there to have more flat space without lifting anything.
All I did was to strenthen the back springs as I was also heavily loaded.
Worked for me and greatly increased the space in the back...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
segalmarisa
Vehicle: hilux

Post by segalmarisa »

Aussie trayback is definitely the best option for many applications. Especially overlanding Here is one I built for my ranger. Busy with a clients one for his hilux. Then I’ll probably build one for my new hilux. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Build your own:”