Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: Long overdue project.

Post by Froll »

Will post some pics when the motor gets here, was in the car and could not load it. Will come with our lorry on Tuesday.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:
What I did do is get my replacement motor that is going in.
and??????
what is that?
Prado 3.4 V6 ?? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Dont all give negative comments at once. I have wanted to use one of these motors for a long time and have now decided to do it. I need something stronger for towing a caravan. I dont want a Lexus as it is to strong. I dont go mad in the veld, do more overlanding than 4x4 . I need something reliable with no electronics, as the wife and I ride to some areas with no cell signal. The boss always knows in what direction we are going as do I when he goes out, so if we dont turn up we know know where to start looking. These can be fixed with a blou draad and tang if need be, so ja my choice............
The motor is in quite good condition but has been standing for about 3 years, so it doesnt look so hot. It is complete except for starter. I got it for a good price from a pal of mine.
Attachments
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Essex!

Still the best value R/kw!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

V6 ?

vertel bietjie meer van die motor.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Yes Chris, it is the old Ford Essex 3 liter V6. Just the plain points, plugs and condensor. The motor was running in a Hilux that was cut up due to rust. It was a good runner, I am going to fit a new oil and water pump and maybe rings and bearings. Will open it up and see. I know it was a good runner but it has been standing for about 3 years outside under a cover. It turns over all right, but I want to check it out. I dont want to have to take it out after a short time and do it.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Good motors in their time and a popular unit for motor conversions. Spares now difficult to get.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nice, I agree with the simple, fix it with bloudraad theory.

Me thinks if you redo it properly now it will be OK for the next ten years (or more) for what you use it.

Fuel consumption will be either the same or slightly better, but you will have the advantage of more power and..... BETTER SOUND :yahoo:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Should show this to a friend .. he LOVED his V6 Fords through the years. Was quick and cheap to overhaul as well.

ENJOY
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Got some more done today. Cut out and welded in on the driver side. Will fit the gutters next, and then the roof skin. Hopefully will get the roof before the end of the month.
Attachments
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Big job ey! Good work so far, keep it up man!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Froll wrote:No update this weekend. Did my monthly trip to Springbok for month end shopping. What I did do is get my replacement motor that is going in. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Go BIG!!

4Y EFi!?!

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

At last I got to do some work again, havent done anything for 2 weeks because of going to town and church bazaar. Got my roof skin in the week. :thumbup: Today I finished the gutters and fitted them. I made them out of 20 mm square tubing as I could not find new ones. Well sometimes one just makes a lot of work for themselves, all I can say is that I learnt quite a lot of new words. The wife also fitted ear plugs. :laugh2: Seriously, this is one *a* job. I eventually got them reasonably straight, so I am hoping that the do they work out ok. I have not fitted the roof skin yet. The more work that I do on the roof area, the more I think that this truck has had a small roll in the dunes with very minimal damage. :shock2: Just enough to mess you around. But I am confidant that I will get it mostly right.
Attachments
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Looking good Roger !you a brave man to tackle that job < only for the love of it!!!
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/cab 3.0KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: HC355

Post by Matewis007 »

Leka Froll, as jy die engine oopmaak laat balance hom sommer. Maak 'n hengse verskil in hoe 'n engine rev en hulle loop sommer net gladder.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Got the roof skin on in place today. Stuck the sides with epoxy, waiting for 24 hours to set then I can braze the corners and the window frames. Also modified the firewall to fit the Essex motor. Getting there slowly. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Coming along nicely, keep it up! :thumbup:

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Hy kom mooi aan. Ek is so bly my bakkie se dak was nog reg, anders moes ek ook deur die pret gegaan het!
Image Link Broken
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

Sterkte!!!

Dit lyk na ure en ure se sweet en lelik praat wat voorle maar dis alles die moeite werd.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Netjiese werk sover Rodger, mens moet maar seker baie geduld hê met so 'n projek. Ek is mal daaroor om goeters te bou maar so iets weet ek nog nie. Sterkte daar.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Marius, my dak was nog reg. Dis die gutters wat so sleg geroes was. Ek kon nie nuwe gutters kry nie toe maak ek my eie uit 20 mm square tube uit. Maar ek moes die dak af sny om hulle te vervang.
Tertius, ek het al n klomp nuwe woorde geleer van ek begin het.
Hennie, dit is die eerste keer dat ek so ver gegaan het en ek leer baie uit hierdie job uit. Dit is ook die laaste groot job wat ek sal aan vat, ek hoop so. Daar is so baie vriende wat kennis het, wat help met advies as ek vas hak. Ek werk net op n Saterdag, so as ek in die aande sit en rook in die garage dan werk my kop oortyd om planne te maak en hulle change n paar keer duur die week. So as ek Saterdag begin dan weet ek wat ek wil of moet doen.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Witvos wrote:Leka Froll, as jy die engine oopmaak laat balance hom sommer. Maak 'n hengse verskil in hoe 'n engine rev en hulle loop sommer net gladder.
+10000000

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Froll, I have a favour to ask. You probably have the entire wiring loom out at the moment. I'm trying to figure out where exactly the intermittent timer for the wipers sits since mine seems to no longer be working. If you have time, could you trace the Light Green wire from the stalk to see where it goes?
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Sorry Nic, I have not yet taken the wiring loom out and will probably not take it right out, but I can see if I can find the wire and follow it for you. It may just take a while but I will see what I can do for you.
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

My Hilux het ook plek plek roes op, en my "gutters" is ook al moeg geroes. Die werk wat jy doen le nog vir my voor. Net een groot verskil, ek sal dit moet laat doen en dit gaan nie n finansiele plesier wees nie :shock2:

My droom is maar soos almal sn op die forum om eendag n bakkie te he waarop mens kan trots wees. Ek vat hom maar so stuk stuk. Het begin met die wiele, bearings en brieke. Ratkaste en driveshaft's is reg, olievlakke gecheck en alle grease nipples is goed vol gepomp.

Die engine was volgende, alle belde en seels is vervang, radiator geflush en engine is gediens. Huidiglik is ons besig met sy suspension. Gelukkig vir ons is dieselvoertuie nie swaar op uitlaatstelsels nie en myne is nog100%. As suspension klaar is kan ek begin met die cosmetics en hier gaan dit n gesukkel afgee want parte hier is blerrie skaars soos ek reeds ondervind het. Gelukkig het ek niks wat my jaag nie hehehehe
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Froll wrote:Sorry Nic, I have not yet taken the wiring loom out and will probably not take it right out, but I can see if I can find the wire and follow it for you. It may just take a while but I will see what I can do for you.
Thanks!
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Ja Tertius, dit is nie a lekker job nie. As jy gaan laat iemand dit doen, kry verkieslik iemand wat privaat werk doen wat lief is vir die werk. Ek dink van die werkwinkels doen half n job net om die werk klaar te kry en hulle geld te kry, dan sit jy weer met die gemoors in n paar jaar se tyd. Gutters is nie beskikbaar meer nie, so hulle moet gemaak word.

I finished brazing the roof last weekend. Today I went to town so I did not do any work, only stripped the engine bay so I can start cleaning up. Am hoping to start sanding and under coating soon.
Attachments
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Getting there Rodger! :thumbup:
Slowly, slowly, catches the monkey. :winkx:

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Baie goeie werk sover Rodger.Daardie dak gaan nie in jou skoonseun of kleinseun se tyd nodig he om weer reg gemaak moet word nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Got to fill some of the joints of the roof today. Once they are all finished I will start to under coat and do final filling and shaping. Next weekend we have a wedding in Upington so will not get anything done.Getting there slowly but surely. :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You've come a far way with it and it's looking good, keep it up! :thumbup:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Congrats Roger !!

The worst seems to be done. Now it is just a matter of time to get the rest sorted.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Wow, Roger, you are doing a great job. I think the hard part is over now.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Well last weekend I did not do anything as we went away. This weekend I got quite a bit done. I worked today, which I dont normally do as it looks like I am not going to be here for the next two weekends. Got a family crisus and will probally be going to Kathu and then George for a week. I finished filling and sanding, wet sanded the whole outside and engine bay and undercoated it all today. Now the big job starts as you can now see the places that need filling and flatting. We will get there slowly.I want to fit the motor when I get back to do the engine mountings and exhaust system before the cab goes back on. Also still have to do the diffs and chassis.
Attachments
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Looks good!!

Maybe get some of these thin pva(me thinks) matresses that the hikers use(6 or 8mm at Mr Price Sport) and put it in as ceilibg insulation - does wonders to the inside temp of the car.

I have also used it under the carprts as a cheap but very effective sound and heat isolation product, especially over the gearbox tunnel.

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Yes Thabo, I bought 2 last weekend when I was in Upington. 6 mm with a silver lining on one side. I think they will work quite lekker.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Rodger, nou kom jou werk netjies uit. Soos ek jou thread dophhou, weet ek hier kom nou 'n netjiese eindproduk uit wat almal graag wil sien. Wag in spanning.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking really great so far, Roger! Keep up the good workmanship! :thumbup:

kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Wow
You have taken on a job that I don't think I would have the guts to take on

This thread, inspires me to get off my @$$ and go do what I have to do on my projects
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Haha Fernando, this is the first time I have stripped so far. Big job, but will get there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Sanded the inside today and sprayed undercoat.
Attachments
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Lyk baie mooi Rodger

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker! An epic job, but once it's done you'll have the peace of mind knowing that it's all good. :thumbup:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Well done Roger

The end is in sight
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, still a lot to do but will get there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

baie mooi Rodger
watter kleur gaan jy verf
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Lyk goed! Watse primer gebruik jy Rodger?
Image Link Broken
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Dankie Martin, ek gaan hom daai land cruiser beige maak.

Dankie Marius, ek gebruik 2k primer.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Dis lekker sterk verf daai, sterkte met skuur werk. Dis n eentonigge werk daai!
Image Link Broken
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Land Cruiser beige - same colour as Bulldog! Toyota Code 4E9. It matches the SFA perfectly!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Well I have basically finished blocking and given a final coat of undercoat. There is still 2 small places that I am not happy with, but will sort them out when I flat to spray colour. I am going to start fitting the motor next weekend. Need to make engine mountings and do exhaust system, also need to sort out power steering mounting for pump.It is going to be easier to do all this with the cab removed, then I will remove the motor again to strip and check over. My branches arrived on Friday and am very happy with them, thanks to Fernando. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Rodger jou projek vorder baie goed en jou werk is van hoog staande gehalte.Ek kan sien dat jy hierdie werk doen om jou SFA nog lank in die familie te hou.

My vraag is net dit . Vir hoe lank gaan jy nog onderdele kry vir daardie V6 Ford engine in die toekoms? Is dit nie n beter opsie om te kyk na die Mazda/Ford WL engine nie?

TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

As ek eendag groot is en geld het om my ou wa te laat regmaak, wil ek dit so gedoen he!!!

Mens kan sien jy is trots op jou handewerk en doen n ding reg!!!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Yes Dawie die parte raak skaars maar op die oomblik is hulle nog beskikbaar. Ek is nou naby 60 en die tyd dat die motor moet weer gedoen word is dit nie my probleem meer nie. My stief seun wat die trok gaan kry is ook baie goed met sy hande en dan kan hy maar doen wat hy will. :thumbup: :thumbup:
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

V6 3.0 parts, still plenty around
Have enough parts to build two complete motors and have plenty spares for those

Now bring in the 3.4 V6 and that becomes way more difficult

However those ford/mazda WL motors are great and have huge potential
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Roger,

Was vanaand by iemand wat so Essex gestroke het 3.4 toe. Daai gaan 'n lekker enjin wees.

Daar staan toe so gryse omie en vertel dat die Essex se probleem nog al die jare hul lugvloei is. blykbaar is die inlet manifold die GROOT probleem.

Jy kan glo nie deur 'n standaard inlet manifold kyk nie. Maak hom bietjie oop en hy loop dan glo lekker en is bietjei ligter op sous.

kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Yes that stroker does make a difference
My 3.4 is a factory stroker motor
One of the advantages of the factory one is that the uprated heads had 43mm inlet valves

Yes that original manifold is restrictive
There are various ways of solving that

Forced induction
A EFI manifold
Or
Two 38s with its respective manifold, and this I have tried and make s a big difference
And according to dyno charts, mild cam, head job, when adding a twin carb setup , just from adding the two carburetor manifold gives and increase I'm 18% I'm power
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Froll »

Started fitting the motor yesterday. Need to get a starter motor to make the other mounting. Fitted branches and they look good. Thanks Fernando.
Attachments
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Pleasure
Glad it fits as expected

Return to “Build your own:”