Members' DIY projects
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

The ultimate "Battery box" ...

Post by ChrisF »

I see the July issue of SA4x4 has a DIY article for a battery box.

Interesting take on the concept, but lacking the wiring diagram many may need for a DIY project ....

This thread - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and the SA4x4 article got me thinking about this topic - "battery box" ....

What does this mean to YOU ??

1) Is it just a mobile unit for the 2nd battery ? OR would it be permanently mounted in YOUR rig ?

2) Must it be able to charge from the alternator ?

3) Do YOU want it to charge from solar as well ?

4) Do YOU expect this to charge from 220V when at home or in a camp with 220V ?

5) Do YOU expect multiple power outputs from such a box ?

6) What else would you want in your ideal battery box ?

Playing with an idea ... would LOVE your collective feedback ....
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Re: The ultimate

Post by Jaws »

For point 6 I added one of these cheap Chinese meters as a nice to have , for the price it's really handy Image Link Broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbup:
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: The ultimate "Battery box" ...

Post by The Legend »

Point nr 5 is a definitely yes.Meters showing the volts,watts,amps etc. would also be very nice.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

All of the above :mrgreen:

But of course that would increase costs and not everyone would need everything. I would suggest something that is modular where one could add "plugins".

Personally I'd like a box to have the battery, a D250S and a Meanwell 12V PSU. That way one could have Solar, alternator or 220V. This box could be portable or fixed; each with it's own pro's & cons depending on how you camp.

I used to have the battery "portable", but it is such a schlep to take it (and the fridge) off the bakkie. These days I leave it on the bakkie and just run ripcord to the Gazebo for a 12V down lighter. In the tent I use those round pop-up lanterns with the magnetic base you buy at builders.

I think if one makes it removable/portable you could use it in the house as well for load shedding.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks gents.

Stef you raised a point I never even thought off - being capable of removing the battery box at the camp site ... Wonder how many guys goes this route ?

and YES, so many many possibilities ... but the wish list costs money .... MODULAR would be the way to go ....

please keep the comments coming ... my brain is in overdrive again, see a nice project coming ....
Changes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HC 285

Post by Changes »

I have been toying with exactly the same thinking, but obviously not interested as way to many things to think about... however you have slapped it all into a very short basic need to know... lovely stuff... Cant wait to learn from here
Do not BRAND bash...!!!
Landi is not a brand.. :lmao:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

William so what have you seen or heard about that "would be nice" to have in your ideal battery box ? and what would the the "purpose" of yours ?
Changes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HC 285

Post by Changes »

As I said, I believe that I will be learning from you guys... However, my ideas / thinking as follow

Battery fixed in vehicle
Plugs connections mounted on rear and font bumper- BRAD HARRISONS Etc..
Must charge from Alternator after main Battery is full
Must not once flat, switch over to main battery
Some sort of buzzer to warn when reaching low charge
Must stay alive when vehicle is switched of
When camping and 220v available how to plug something into the bumper that will charge the secondary battery
When connecting trailer (Now 3 batteries) must not interfere ( A little confused here)
At this stage I am not a solar fan, so no worries and or ideas here
And so forth

Rgds
Willie
Do not BRAND bash...!!!
Landi is not a brand.. :lmao:
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

I'm salivating from the time I say this thread in the active topics Chris!!
My box sits in the middle of the back seat and acts as an arm rest for my rear seat passengers.
When there's load shedding it powers my lounge circuit. I couldn't imagine it being a permanent fixture, though I must figure out some sort of restraint to stop it being a missile if I have a collision.
I'm busy upgrading my batt box so I actually went out and bought the July issue of SA4x4, though I'm yet to read it!
Can I get back to you soon?!

Rich :cooldude:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks guys.

Keep the wish lists coming ....

I am reading and digesting the various, and sometimes conflicting, end user expectations ....

My mind is churning over on a modular unit that will attempt to provide in these various expectations ....

Been a "bit" busy the last week. Only just finished a concept design that will go out tomorrow morning. So now to buckle down to working through some 700 photos I took on Wednesday late afternoon into the night .... must select the best 50+ photos and edit it for large format printing .... nou-ja, lekker vuur, MotoGP en Lightroom ....
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Just read the SA4x4 Article, for what it's worth, rather brief and with inaccuracies né.
Couldn't help but think 4x4direct missed a good opportunity there, good job they gave the wrong web address for deltec energy solutions hey!

Interesting that they mounted everything on the box's lid, I didn't think of that and I'm using the Saam box.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Richard they sell the article as a "DIY" article .... do you really feel up to it to tackle such a project just with the info in that article .....

Brilliant idea. But they could have given so much more information .....

Who knows? Maybe 4x4Direct will see a gap in the market .... after all, Pieter KNOWS his clients, he KNOWS what we want ....

as they say: "Watch this space"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

So what have we learnt from this thread so far ?

- some want a permanent 2nd battery (thus not a portable battery box)
- some need/want a portable battery box

in terms of functionality:
- some need thick wires to the back to be able to run heavy stuff at the back OR to use the second battery as a starting battery in an emergency ... certainly possible, but not a standard function in an off the shelf battery box.
- some only need a dc-dc charger ... while others need a dual charger ....
- monitoring .. ooooo this is a can of worms with LOTS of options !!!
- output options .... modularity is the key here. (dare I say 4x4Direct HAS the perfect "template" for this in store !)

Please gents - ADD your wish list !!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Just an idea to solve the jump start functionality vs DC-DC charger setup....

Skip the whole intelligent solenoid setup; run your thick cables to the rear with a DC-DC at your batt box. Then have a CH solenoid to "bypass" the charger & connect the 2nd batt directly to the primary for jump starting/winching.

For added safety to protect the DC-DC charger one could wire an additional relay to disconnect the charger output from the 2nd batt. This is where the controllers/chargers with the extra remote enable lead could come in handy....one would not need the extra relay.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef wrote:Just an idea to solve the jump start functionality vs DC-DC charger setup....

Skip the whole intelligent solenoid setup; run your thick cables to the rear with a DC-DC at your batt box. Then have a CH solenoid to "bypass" the charger & connect the 2nd batt directly to the primary for jump starting/winching.

For added safety to protect the DC-DC charger one could wire an additional relay to disconnect the charger output from the 2nd batt. This is where the controllers/chargers with the extra remote enable lead could come in handy....one would not need the extra relay.
For a "jump start" one would have normally used leads, ie there would have been some physical wire handling ... I am thinking along the lines of two brad harison inputs to the battery box - one to power the dc-dc, then unclip the main cable and clip it into another directly coupled to the 2nd battery....

I am thinking of keeping the costs down while providing as much functionality as possible. Then with modular expansion as the budget allows ....
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

That would also work great

Return to “Build your own:”