My Hilux Camper build

Members' DIY projects
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

My Hilux Camper build

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I've owned numerous Hilux 4x4's since 1984 and have camped and fished with my family ever since. My first Hilux was a brand new single cab 4x4 which had a 2lit 18R petrol engine .
I always kitted the Hiluxes with canopies, winches, compressors for pumping tyres and many other useful gadgets, too many to mention.

A typical weekend outing would entail the family, all roped in to pack the camping equipment into the 4x4 and sometimes, a trailer. We would then pitch the tents on arrival at the camping spot (almost always bush camping along the old Transkei and Ciskei coasts) and set up camp. The boys would then be let loose to fish and explore and to be boys, leaving Annemarie and I to fine tune the camping set-up.

Time moved on, the boys grew up and left home. Camping became a pain in the butt, having to pitch a tent and to set up all the other essentials without the boys help and was even a bigger pain to pack it all up again.
Swambo was also getting older.

About four years ago, together with a group of friends and their families, we travelled the passes of the Eastern Cape over a period of four days. A friend drove with me as a companion and we shared a small tent at night which only took a few minutes to pitch and our camping kit was easily accessible from the canopy of my Hilux 2.8d double cab 4x4.

It was however painful to break up camp in the morning after having the previous night's dew damping everything. The wet tent was rolled up and stored in a plastic bag and it was a mission to pack and store the bedding whilst trying to keep it dry from the wet surfaces and mud.

During the brunch time break, we would spread the tent and let a few minutes of sunshine remedy the dampness in the canvass and then we would repack it to be ready for the evening's use. This process was repeated each day.

Two of our fellow travellers, namely Edge and his wife Viv, (Haboob on the forum) were travelling in their dedicated Hilux Alu-Cab built camper which was fully kitted. Their camper was built onto their Hilux’s load-bin, it had a clam shell roof, under which their bed was already made up. An ostrich wing 270 degree awning was fitted to the side of their camper.

After each day's travel and on arrival at our camp-site, they would literally take about a minute to set up their rig and would then sit back and enjoy a beer, while we were burdened with the task of setting up camp for the evening and only be free later to enjoy a beer.

The mornings were also a breeze for them to pack up and they would be waiting for the rest of the group to pack up and get ready for the day's drive.

The brunch time stop was also effortless for them as they had a permanently fixed table attached to the side of their camper which folded into position within seconds. Their kitchen was also laid out on the same side of the canopy, having everything within easy reach and packed in its place so they could prepare a meal or snack and get to stuff without having to unpack a thing.

The rest of us had to unpack boxes to get to the necessary items to make chow. all taking time and effort.

I observed with envy how easily and effortlessly they travelled and camped and decided there and then that this was the way I wanted travel - to have a dedicated camper, with the bed already made up and all the other camping gadgets laid out readily available, each and every item functional and packed and stored in its place.

I planned to sell my double cab and to buy a single cab onto which to build a camper. Within a few months of returning from that trip I sold the double cab and purchased a single cab Toyota 2,5 SRX 4x4.

To be con"t .........
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Re: My Hilux Camper build

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I fitted a complete Old Man Emu suspension to the new Hilux, fabricated and installed under body protection using 3mm plate to protect the gearbox and transfer box. A bash plate was also made up and installed under the after market bumper which had been fitted. A 12000 lb winch was also installed into the bumper.
IMG_9936.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG

Inside the cab I fitted my VHF radio overhead above the rear-view mirror between the sun visors. I also installed a dual USB port near the radio for easy power access for the Garmin and a dash-cam and another dual USB port was installed near the ashtray panel for charging our cellphones. An overhead "pouch" holds maps and any required travel documents.
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

We have a couple of mini flasks that we like to use for either hot or cold refreshments while travelling and they fitted perfectly into this pipe that I used to make a flask holder.
IMG_0980.JPG

Prior to the sale of my double cab, I had acquired an old rescue vehicle’s closed aluminium bin from a fellow Hiluxer, the type with roller shutters back and sides. It had been waiting to be built onto a work vehicle for tools and equipment, but the idea of using it to build a camper became more appealing. The fun began.

P1020565.JPG
P1020566.JPG
P1020567.JPG
P1020564.JPG
P1020573.JPG

After taking measurements of the Hilux's chassis and those of the proposed camper bin, I removed the standard load body and placed the alu bin over the chassis and double checked the measurements.

The original load bin was re-installed and we started with the camper bin’s modifications. The original bin’s removal and the placing of the camper’s bin onto the chassis of the Hilux was repeated numerous times to fine tune the measurements for the rails and mountings and to plan the use of any available space under the camper bin for installing fuel and water tanks.

P1020531.JPG
P1020532.JPG
P1020533.JPG
P1020534.JPG

There was no turning back after I sold my standard load body and was thus committed to the project. The money from the sale of the load body went a far way in financing the camper.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Wow dit lyk goed sover, kan nie wag om verder te hoor nie! :thumbup:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

The original mild steel chequer plate floor of the camper bin was removed and then the back and front panels of the bin was split and widened by 320 mm. This enabled the width of the bin to be able to straddle the wheel base of the Hilux and also to cosmetically allow the camper bin blend in with the natural tapper and shape of the Hilux's cab. It also added to the usable width of the camper bin.
P1020426.JPG
P1020427.JPG
P1020428.JPG
P1020429.JPG

With the camper bin being aluminium, I widened the frame by welding aluminium sections to the frame. I covered the widened gaps on the front and back panels, with aluminium which i secured using Sikaflex and bolts. Re-enforced steel ribs were installed to the floor of the bin over which aluminium sheeting was attached for the floor surface

P1020525.JPG
P1020526.JPG
P1020527.JPG
P1020528.JPG
P1020529.JPG
P1020530.JPG

I bent and welded up a diesel tank using 3mm steel plating. this fuel tank was mounted across the chassis, just behind the cab. i planned to keep any extra weight between the four wheels for better weight distribution. Both the new fuel tank and the original tank are filled by one filler cap, allowing the new tank to be gravity fed into the original one, giving me a total fuel capacity of approx 138 litres of diesel. (I forgot to take pics of theses and how they were fitted before final fitment of the camper bin. My apologies.)
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I was in the process of measuring all the available 12v fridges on the market to plan and design the kitchen compartment around the fridge.(This had to be done first so I could plan the size for the sleeping area.)

When Edge returned home after visiting another club member (“Whiskey”), he presented me with a 70 lit fridge.
“Whiskey” had purchased the fridge a few years previously and had experienced erratic problems with it later on, so he decided to buy a new reliable fridge for use during his retirement trips. I was lucky that Edge had visited him on that particular day, basically to bid him and his Swambo farewell as “Whiskey” was relocating to the Cape to enjoy their retirement.

Edge had noticed the fridge lying among some discarded items and indicated that I was in the process of buying one. “Whiskey” very kindly donated the fridge to me. a very big thanks to “Whiskey” and to Edge.

I managed to repair the fridge (me being a refrigeration technician by profession ) and installed it into the kitchen compartment and was thus able to plan the rest of the layout of the kitchen compartment around the fridge. Shelves were installed adjacent to the fridge for packing plastic containers for the kitchen items.
The fridge placement was very critical to the rest of the design dimensions of the camper as I was now able to install a partition behind the fridge, running from the front to the back of the bin to separate the ”bedroom” from the kitchen. I now had the workable size of the sleeping quarters and could concentrate on the “bedroom “ design and build .

The side openings of the bin were too wide and too low, so these were modified and made narrower from the rear on the LHS, from the front on the RHS (this suited my overall configuration better) and with the openings being cut higher, new overhead rails had to be made and fitted. The same was done to the rear opening and I was lucky enough to manage to get extra slats for the roller shutter doors to compensate for the height difference, as well as to replace the 'vented' slats with solid ones.
P1020535.JPG

The next step was to drill the holes for the fuel and water tank filler caps as well as a weatherproof opening through which the power cable for 220v supply from camping sites could be accessed.
Three holes for air vents on the top front of the camper bin were also drilled and air vents were installed, thanks to 4x4 direct

I glued 13 mm padded rubber insulation sheeting to the walls and under-roof surface of the camper and then covered this insulation with grey synthetic vinyl. This rubber cladding maintains the temperature by keeping the heat and cold out. It also prevents the roof from sweating. In fact, the camper bin stays fairly cool in summer and is snug in winter. Shelves for our clothing containers were also installed to the area above our feet.
The next task was to find space for the water tank and I decided to mount a 55l tank in the vertical position inside the kitchen compartment. By doing this I used up less space and I also mounted a secondary 20l water tank under the camper bin.
P1020536.JPG
P1020537.JPG
P1020538.JPG
P1020539.JPG
P1020540.JPG
P1020541.JPG
P1020542.JPG

Then came the filler and prepping for undercoat.
P1020546.JPG
P1020548.JPG
P1020549.JPG
P1020550.JPG
P1020552.JPG
P1020553.JPG
P1020557.JPG
P1020558.JPG
P1020559.JPG

And the fitting of new overhead rails with gutters.
P1020560.JPG
P1020561.JPG
P1020562.JPG
P1020563.JPG
P1020568.JPG
P1020569.JPG

Then came the first overcoats, fitting the bin to the chassis and positioning filler necks.
P1020571.JPG
P1020572.JPG
P1020574.JPG
P1020575.JPG
P1020576.JPG
P1020577.JPG
P1020578.JPG
P1020579.JPG
P1020580.JPG
I started the rear bumper so that I could work around it's size, shape and positioning when fitted.
P1020581.JPG
P1020582.JPG
P1020583.JPG
P1020584.JPG

I then bent up the skirting sections from aluminium. The skirts finish off the lower section below the bin in front and behind the rear wheels. It was a challenge to get the angles and bends right and to try and give the camper bin an attractive shapely finish and to look less like a tray-back. (I first made them from sheet metal as a practice run and to get the templates right.)
P1020585.JPG
P1020586.JPG
P1020587.JPG
P1020588.JPG
P1020589.JPG
P1020590.JPG
P1020591.JPG
P1020592.JPG
P1020593.JPG
Completed, fitted and under-coated.
P1020594.JPG
P1020596.JPG
With some space under the rear, I made a 'sunken' tool compartment.
P1020597.JPG
P1020598.JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice going, Tony .... This report is well overdue!! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Very, very nice. A job well done. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Enthralling reading! Cannot wait for the follow-up.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Next my son, Brad, did the bodywork and painted the camper bin .We managed to cover and conceal all the rivets and screws used for the various attachments and shelves inside the bin. To achieve this, many a day was spent planning the position and size of the various shelves and fixtures which were to be attached by drilling through the outer skin of the camper bin.
P1020603.JPG

Next on the list was the completion of the back bumper / tow bar.
I wanted to produce a strong rugged bumper which would blend into the wedge shape of camper bin. I used a length of 140 mm by 70 mm by 4 mm thick rectangular tubing to make the tow bar.
After a lot of shaping and reshaping, I was happy with the end result and installed high lift jack points and recovery points.
I cut out cavities for led tail-lights and a female trailer plug, a reverse camera and also an extra reverse light, preventing these items from protruding beyond the tow bar.

I fitted round hi-lift jack points and also fitted two recovery hooks which run through the bumper and attach directly to the chassis.
An additionally fitted 27 watt led reverse light is switched independently for reversing in the bush an also to blind the buggers following me at night with bright lights…
The top of the bumper was covered with alu chequer plate which forms a rear step and a flat working surface.
P1020595.JPG
P1020604.JPG
P1020605.JPG
I fabricated a fixed bracket to the right back of the bumper onto which was attached the second spare wheel that was also secured to the camper bin. I was initially going to make up a hinged swing bracket for the spare, but edge spoke me out of this idea as he maintained that the hinged bracket always tended to rattle. I followed his advice, leaving enough space next to the wheel to access the rear storage bin via the roller door.
I mounted my gas bottle above the back spare wheel, utilising the same bracket. The bottle was piped to a fitting on the left rear corner of the camper for easily connecting my gas stove, without me having to remove the gas bottle.

I also mounted my hi-lift jack, spade and a large axe to the back of the camper on either side of the roller door. To secure these, I utilised wheel lock nuts for theft prevention.
P1020629.JPG

If you look at the LHS of the bin on the last pic, you will see a folding table which was attached permanently to the LHS rear of the camper bin for kitchen use. This table folds up against the bin body and locks in place.
Edge (“Haboob”) in fact insisted on this table as he had one installed to his camper by alu-cab and it was his very own concept.
P1020638.JPG
P1020639.JPG
P1020640.JPG
P1020641.JPG
P1020642.JPG

As previously mentioned, the camper bin has three aluminium roller shutter doors for access. One for the kitchen on the LHS one for the bedroom on the RHS and the third one at the back for the storage space.
The inside length of the camper bin is 2300 mm and the bottom inside width is 1800
The bedroom is 2000 mm by1240 mm, the back section is approx 1800 mm by 300 mm leaving approx 2000 mm by 560 mm for the kitchen compartment.
The back section is utilised for storage space for our fold up camping chairs, spares, tools, stainless steel braai and grid etc .
I bent up a set of alu steps which stand against the rear wheel,and clip around the wheel for climbing into the bedroom. The steps are also stored in this back storage area.
I then had a mosquito net and a zipped canvass cover made and attached them behind the bedroom roller door. A small window was also cut into the dividing wall between the bedroom and the storage compartment, and this opening also has a mosquito net and canvass zip opening which allows for a flow of fresh air via the rear roller door whilst sleeping. An alu louvre grid which can be inserted at the lower half of the rear roller door opening, gets locked into position leaving the rear roller half open but secure. This provides ventilation when needed or whilst sleeping.
Dowe Koos
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Tony, so far so good. Keeping an eye on your project.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

(At this point I will post the rest of the write-up followed by pics that will show most of the remaining points.)

After arranging the kitchen setup IRO the shelves and packing space. I managed to find space for my air compressor next to the fridge in an area which would have been wasted space. The compressor was connected and I led air pipes to the front and rear of the Hilux with quick release air valves for ease of tyre inflation.

The next stage of the build was the 270 deg awning which I made myself from stainless steel tubing but had the canvass work done by a tent manufacturer. This awning was attached to the LHS of the camper to provide shade over the kitchen area.

I then made another awning with removable sides, which was attached to the RHS of the camper. This acts as a side tent to the 'bedroom' in the bin, used for changing and temporary storage but also screens the bedroom when the zipped canvas / mosquito netting is open.

I also had canvass sides made so that the 270 degree awning over the kitchen area could also be closed for protection against the elements.

Another canvass section was made up to attach to the front side of the changing room, in a triangular form, creating a shower booth. This is accessed through the zipped front side of the “dressing room”.

Hella plugs were installed to the front, rear and sides of the camper bin to power lights and the 12v submersible pump for the shower and any other 12v accessories.

The next stage was to install the extra deep-cycle 105 ah battery to the vehicle for powering the fridge and lights etc. This was mounted under the camper load bin, behind the skirt and ahead of the RHS rear wheel.
Installing the battery here kept the it out of the engine compartment and helped to keep the centre of gravity low. This battery is connected via a National Luna solenoid system to the primary battery and a 120 watt solar panel is also connected into the circuitry.

I then installed a camera monitor and four cameras to the Hilux to be able to see to the rear of the vehicle, left rear and another camera facing down from the top rear of the camper bin facing the tow bar (this gives one a very accurate view of the distance between the rear bumper and a wall or object behind and also for reversing up to the hitch of a trailer). Another camera was installed to the front bull bar to view the blind area in the lower front of the vehicle.

Next on the to do list was to install aluminium fastening rails around the to perimeter of the roof for fastening items. The 120 watt solar panel and a set of mud tracks were fitted to the roof.

The next part of the project was to install the water tap feeding from the tanks, in a readily accessible position but also out of the dust, mud and mostly, safe from destructive hands.

This was achieved by fitting the tap in the gap between the camper bin and the cab on the LHS. I made a loose folding table which slotted into rails between the gap of the cab and camper bin. This table locks into position and has an aluminium side cover which covers the gap and hides the tap from prying eyes. The table can be unlocked and slid out of the rails on the side of the vehicle for about 200 mm for easy access to the tap. The 55l water tank is back filled via this tap.
P1020623.JPG
P1020624.JPG
P1020625.JPG
On the other side of the vehicle a "screen" was fitted to hide this slide-out table from view.
P1020619.JPG
P1020620.JPG

The electrics were completed by installing the various 12v Hella plugs around the camper and also inside the kitchen and bedroom. LED lights were installed all around and within the camper. A 220v system with plugs and extension lead for power and also an intelligent charger for charging either of the batteries was installed.
I also installed USB ports inside the bedroom for charging cellphones etc.

I drove the camper around for a while and felt I had to somehow change and enhance the look of the camper as comments received by others was that it looked very much like an ambulance or service utility vehicle. So I decided to add some colour to the camper’s appearance.

A very talented friend, who owns a local signage company, assisted me in designing and printing the decals which he covered the camper with.

Lastly I made up rock sliders and fitted them to my Hilux.
P1020665.JPG
P1020666.JPG

The total mass of the camper as it now stands is approx 2600 kg. This is with full tanks of water and diesel but without the beer, meats, clothing and foodstuffs.

I wish to state that the general design and finished product is what I had envisaged, but have to thank the numerous mates and family members, for their ideas and input with the building of my camper and also for the help received by them.

I have to admit that I based a large percentage of my ideas and designs around Edge’s concept and used other examples of what an over-lander camper should consist of. I fine tuned some aspects of his camper and totally disregarded other aspects and ideas to suit my personal needs and preferences.

This project took almost 2 years to complete, fitting in an hour or two between work and family commitments. At times I would lie awake and mull ideas over in my mind and when I couldn't get back to sleep after waking up in the early hours I would go down to the garage and do some work or just sit thinking things through while looking at the project.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

The electrics fitted into the recess next to the freezer (the compressor is below that next to the fridge).
P1020626.JPG

The kitchen compartment.
P1020627.JPG
P1020628.JPG

The camera monitor showing the view from the unit on the rear RHS corner.
P1020621.JPG

The battery controller / monitor mounted next to the o/head radio.
P1020622.JPG

The gull-wing awning and the table folded out. On the other side is an awning with sides that creates another "room".
IMG_1416.JPG

View from behind with the rear roller door open.
IMG_1415.JPG

View from the bedroom side.
IMG_1412.JPG
I have since made up sides that fit to the gull-wing, closing it off like another room.
IMG_1411.JPG
These pics (taken at Andy's home) showing the decorative decals and rocksliders.
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

The 2nd table from behind the cab
IMG_0954.JPG

The cradle behind the cab where it slots in and locks in place, concealing the water tap. This tap was changed from the previous one that had a turning knob .... much easier to operate in a narrow area.
IMG_0955.JPG

Table folded up and slotted into place.
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG
Also tucked away but immediately handy is some hand cleaner / lotion.
IMG_0959.JPG
All tucked away.
IMG_0960.JPG
Rear view
IMG_0961.JPG
Then with the ventilation louvre securely locked in place (if we want to close ourselves in at night for security).
IMG_0963.JPG

RHS view showing the little ladder with a fold-out "hoop" that clips onto the wheel, for Swambo to get in and out of the sleeping quarters with ease.
IMG_0962.JPG
Anti-theft wheel nuts for securing equipment
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Rear corner camera, gas outlet for connecting the stove and a 12V hella plug.
IMG_0965.JPG
Gas outlet on RHS rear just in case we want to cook on that side
IMG_0966.JPG
Separately switched LED 'reverse' light, rear view camera, recessed trailer plug and above in the step of the bumper is a lockable cap which secures ta tube leading down to the spare wheel mechanism. It cannot be accessed from underneath.
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
On the roof, also secured with anti-theft wheel nuts, are sand-tracks and of course a solar panel.
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
This clip keeps the rtear door closed if we dont want to lock / unlock every time with a key. It can also act as additional security by putting a padlock through it.
IMG_0974.JPG
The camera positions, 3 in the back and one looking down from the bull bar in the front and one looking down in the back to see distances between bumpers and obstacles.
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
Vents from 4x4Direct. Also a wind deflector and rail - there is another rail at the back - they can be used to secure something long like poles (or a ladder if I have to use the vehicle for work away from home). The one at the back doubles as a hand rail.
IMG_0978.JPG
There are compressed air take-off points on the front and rear bumpers.
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
These 3 pics are to show the extendible leg on the side table and how the table and leg latch into place.
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG

A very big thanks to everyone who helped me create my "footloose".
IMG_0968.JPG
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome build, Tony and one can see that you have put a lot of thought and effort into it. Well done! :thumbup:

Now you have to find time to enjoy it! :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I have one question why did you change the original driving lights and indicator in the front bumper to this .....
IMG_0950.JPG

No doubt you had a good reason.

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Tony this is one very neat build up that you have done and it is really very compact and i can see the design being very smart set up with innovative ideas .

I like and this is one of the best I have seen.... :thumbup: :cooldude: :applaud: :drool:
Johan Marais
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks for the comments Andy.To be honest,Annemarie had an accident with the Hilux and the bullbar was damaged and I managed to repair it.The rhs driving light insert surround was damaged and the bullbar supplier was wanting more bucks for a replacement part than maybe my Hilux is worth.I am busy moulding another surround and hopefully it will be finnished soon.
I used the present adapter and indicator as a temporary means to cover the open cavity.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Johan.I tried to make use of every bit of space available and also to have everything tucked away and permanently attached or stored in or on the Hilux.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Very awesome build Tony. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

One word, Tony. Brilliant. Love your work.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Guys
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Hi Tony,

Very well planned and executed :clap: How about some pictures of the inside? All round.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Very nice built camper!
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hi Tony, before we left Stutterheim I had the privilege to see the half completed project. Now I see the completed work, well done :thumbup: . You have designed it to fit your specific needs and it looks great. Congratulations now you must test it.
I have planned a tour to the Wild coast from 08 May to 21 May :cooldude: .On return we might be going up to Stutterheim so might see you. Regards to all.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there Ben.I will really make a concerted effort to see you guys and offer you a cold beer from your old fridge.Regards to you and swambo.
Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu

Post by Hunter26 »

Brilliant write up Tony,I was privileged to see part of the canopy project growing stages and having good discussions as Tony explained each step he had done and was still to do...with a few beers inbetween. I must say Tony is one talented chap who has taught me a thing or two about solar panels and connections. One of the many old school gents left. Tony does not realise that when I get a 4x4.....he is going to help design and build me a liveable canopy...on an Isuzu lol.

From helping to install my snorkel on my 4x2 Isuzu...Tony has made it clear he hates my Isuzu hahahaha!
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

WOW !!

NICE projek !!
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

OK then, some more pics as requested.

This one is just to show the flasks (750ml each) in the bracket (in cab).
P1020667.JPG

These shelves run across the front of the sleeping area (cab end, above our feet), for packing our kit and the top shelf has the side 'tent' and side panels for the awning.
P1020668.JPG
It also shows the lining inside. Below the shelves is an 'organiser' for all our bits and bobs.
P1020669.JPG

Unfortunately Swambo was too shy to pose in lingerie to show off the bed :D: but you can get the gist of it. We lie with our feet facing forward so that we have the rear partition with canvass section at our heads to open / close for ventilation (through the Louvre which locks into place as shown in the rear roller door). It also shows a second 'organiser' against the side wall.
P1020670.JPG

Above that opening canvass section there's a small packing space and a 220V outlet, 12V Hella plug and dual USB port for phones etc.
P1020671.JPG

There are also two toggle switches. One switch is for the little LED 'reading lamps' and has 3 positions, one is OFF another is for a single light and the other lights both. The second toggle switch is for a full length LED strip for better lighting.
P1020676.JPG

Below the strip is the rolled up canvass side panel with a section of mosquito netting. We sometimes leave it up.

This is looking through the rear compartment with the canvass and back door open. In the upper RHS corner is another toggle switch with another 'reading' light if required.
P1020672.JPG

and this is looking through from outside (the back).
P1020673.JPG
Looking in from the side without the side tent deployed.
P1020674.JPG

Not shown before, is a two tier fold down shelf which folds up neatly against the freezer.
P1020677.JPG
P1020678.JPG
\

Side table with gas stove and fold-up screen.
P1020679.JPG

This stainless frame slips in under the base of the HL jack and holds a basin for washing dishes and the rear bumper is nice to use as a 'work top' .
P1020680.JPG
P1020681.JPG

This pic just to show where the gas stove connects.
P1020682.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Neat! :thumbup:

Now when you doing mine??! :D:

Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

What a great project. Really nicely done!!
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

Mr Tony.... an absolutely stunning build !!. You thought of everything and it will be a masterpiece when finished. I am busy with a similar project and am taking tips from yours like its going out of fashion. Well done. That vehicle is now ready for long overland trips. Geniet hom.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks once again for the kind compliments.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

One very important point I forgot to mention which was also very critical in the planning and finnished design of my camper.
The overall HEIGHT. I can recall seeing a numerous campers parked in strange, and not very safe areas around shopping malls due to their height being too high to enter the height restricted parking areas.
I took note of the average height restriction in malls and the lowwest tended to be 2,1 metres.
My camper stands at 2,05 metres leaving me a bare 50 mm to spare.Obviously if I had a ladder or other roof baggage on the camper I would also have to find alternative parking.
Spanky
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 Dbl Cab

Post by Spanky »

We met you in December 2016 at the Baviaans and you were just more than happy to give us the full tour of your creation. The pride has shown and so you should be. This is an awesome, thorough and meticulous build. Well done said with much envy!
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Jan .I recall our meeting,I think it was at the Conservation Office.
Ol'Cock
Town: Noordhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

Post by Ol'Cock »

Very impressive! Well done!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Awesome build, really handy when you have something to start with that you can just mold to your needs
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Here it is Wade :winkx:

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Very nice build!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Build your own:”