Ossewa camper unit

Members' DIY projects
Ol'Cock
Town: Noordhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

Ossewa camper unit

Post by Ol'Cock »

Hi has anyone had or used the Ossewa camper unit from Alu-Cab on a Lux?
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Re: Ossewa camper unit

Post by Johan Kriel »

If aluminium is not an issue for you, its good choice. I preferred the fiber glass one from Abba Safari. Little bit heavier than aluminum.

As with a RTT one have to pack up every time when you want drive but it takes only few minutes. Lots of packing space and as comfortable as a caravan.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Ol'Cock
Town: Noordhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC

Post by Ol'Cock »

Thanks Johan, They look nice but I'm looking for something that is more practical that can sleep 3 comfortably. Also want to keep weight down as low as possible as well as overall weight. So removing the load bin will be a good start as lots more space available.

The plan would be to make it a dedicated camper as wife, daughter and I are planning a one year tour of Namibia, Botswana, Zambia etc. In about a year from now when my work contract ends. Obviously it will be mixed lodging and camping to keep the sanity!

Not sure if I'm brave enough to attempt a build from scratch, it has crossed my mind a few times. I would possible copy a similar concept to the Ossewa.

I really like the concept of the Ossewa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ5tHtl ... e=youtu.be

It just seems so easy. And really not an issue to close roof and sides for a quick look around near a camp. I was hoping that someone on this forum has already had one and could get some valuable feedback and lessens learnt etc. Had my fair share of RTT's and not always so easy or practical.

I have sent alu cab e-mails.....but NO response so far so off to a disappointing start! My budget is extremely flexible as comfort and ease is of most importance due to the nature of the trip.

Any advise welcome!

Cheers,
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Wes, My first option was the camper from Alu-cab, but they could not provide me with extra fuel tank, although there were some space not utilized in the camper, which I thought they could use for fuel which they did not want to do, and told me I should fit a tank on the vehicle's cab :naah:

One 4x4 car hire company here uses them on their dubble cabs, where I had a look at them. If it was not for the fuel issue I would have probably gone for it.

The Abba Camper dont utilize the space in front of the the fender arches where I fitted a 50l fuel tank each side. And it has a 200l water tank. This is the single cab option on a V6 LC, only 2 sleeper.

Check also the Bushlapa, and the Blinkgat ones
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I had an Alu-Cab Camper built according to my specifications in 2010 and am happy with the product and would recommend them to any-one. Their work is of a good quality and built to last. My Camper however was designed for two people and is built on top of the load bin. You can also go and see Sarel from Blinkgat Canopies on the 4X4 Community Forum, who seems to do good work. He has recently made a slightly different canopy to their first lot of canopies which had a lot more compartments and doors to open and close.He will build you a canopy according to your design as far as I know and at a good price if you ant to compare it to Alu-Cab's costs. I have not had a good enough look at Blinkgat Campers to be able to compare them to Alu-Cab products, but they seem professionally made. The most important factor for this type of travel is easy up and easy down. I did not want fancy things like showers, geysers with hot water systems, etc as this greatly influences your weight that you need to carry on your adventures. Remember that weight is your biggest enemy which will result in broken springs, shocks and failed wheel bearings. The failed wheel bearings will stop you in your tracks. With just about any other failure you can get towed out, but not with failed wheel bearings.
When I had mine built I had the Ostrich Wing Awning fitted as at that time Alu-Cab did not make this type of awning.
Just be aware that the wind does not blow an awning down, it will lift the awning and push it over the top of your vehicle, buckling the arms. The most important thing that you can fit to this awning are guy ropes and pegs at the bottom of each supporting arm to hold them down in gusting wind.
I have also had 3 LED lights fitted in the arms of my Ostrich Wing Awning near the ends furthest away from the base of the awning which gives me light around my camping area which is not bright and obtrusive and then also a set of three over the table, which is fixed onto the side of the vehicle behind the back wheel. This also assists in keeping the insects out of the cupboards in the camper. Each cupboard has LED lights in the center on top of each door opening, which attracts insects into the cupboard space when the lights are left on.
I had a long range tank fitted before taking my vehicle to Alu-Cab for the Camper Build.
Should you have any further questions you may contact me at
edgew60atgmaildotcom
Safe Travels...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Build your own:”