Members' DIY projects
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Rustoleum Spray paint

Post by coetzer94 »

I have machined mounting brackets for a roof rack project I am working on, and before mounting these brackets to my roof I would like to coat them in a decent quality paint.

I recently bought a can of rustoleum primer spray paint, as well as a semi gloss black rustoleum spray paint. The idea is for the brackets to be permanently fitted to the roof. Will this paint hold up to everyday hammering? Will it easily chip, and form rust? This is a permanent installation, so i do not want to take chances.

I am in Pretoria, so not that much a risk as along the coast, but i often (once a year for 2 weeks) spend time there and don't want them to rust underneath the paint.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Rustoleum Spray paint

Post by coetzer94 »

These are the brackets I am referring to
Attachments
IMG-20171107-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20171107-WA0000.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As far as aerosol spray paints are concerned, Rustoleum is one of the more pricey and better quality ones. I would do two coatings of red oxide etch primer paying particular attention to the edges because this is where surface tension draws the paint away while still fluid. So maybe even 3 coats. Two coats of black enamel overcoat are sufficient.

The brackets are high up so won't get stone chipped and if everything is securely fastened so that there is no chaffing, I cannot see any reason why the paint should not hold up to time. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I would round the sharp edges a bit. Paint dont stick to sharp edges and that is normally where rust start.

If you have a full can just for that I will sommer do 3 layers of each under- and top coat, which 2 or 3 hours drying inbetween.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Muscat and Midrand
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

I agree with Piet. Break those sharp edges.
But I would get those beautiful brackets cadmium plated to stop rust. You can paint them black after if you want.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Or consider having them black passivated then you don't need to paint them and it looks very professional. Cobra Electroplating does that. They are in Kobus Street in Silverton. Pricing is reasonable too.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coetzer94 »

Thanks for the insights. I will tackle those edges with a grinder tonight before using the rustoleum primer I already have. Id rather over do it than have to struggle, so 3 coats primer, and 3 coats semi gloss black it will be.

I will be drilling holes in my roof to fit, any body got tips on how to ensure I have no leaks afterwards? I was thinking along the lines of black silicone/sikaflex underneath and surrounding the bracket where it mounts to the roof. as well as on the fastening plate on the inside of the roof.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Use Sikaflex, not silicone. Also after drilling, first treat the exposed metal edges with a rust converter / inhibitor.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coetzer94 »

Thanks for all the tips. I could not find sika, but found a very helpfull sika rep in builders that indicated another product Stix all. Well we drilled 8 holes per car into 2 vehicles the previous weekend :shock2: :shock2: ......so to say that im still in shock is a understatement! We are sorting out the last of the design on the roofrack itself, and it will be sent for lasercutting soon. So hopefully by end of next week I can start to get pictures onhere :yahoo:

Return to “Build your own:”