Short in the windscreen wiper

Members' DIY projects
Umzingele
Town: Lonehill
Vehicle: Hilix dc 4*4

Short in the windscreen wiper

Post by Umzingele »

Windscreen Wiper keeps blowing the fuse - 2013 Hilux D/C - anyone had a similiar problem or any ideas on where to start looking.

Happens intermittently, obviously when it rains cause thats when I use the wipers!
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Re: Short in the windscreen wiper

Post by JamesC »

Yip.
You have to remove and clean windscreen wiper motor.
Usually what happens, over time, there is so much dirt build-up in it, that it starts drawing a heavier current than it should.
If a thorough clean doesn't help, you will have to replace. Mine just needed a good clean and new ghries everywhere...
James Cameron
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yip, what James says is true and usually the case. Also don't forget to lube the wiper bushes as well (where the wiper arms are attached). These also become dry, even corroded and offer a lot of resistance in such cases. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spanky
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 Dbl Cab

Post by Spanky »

Take the motor out and open the gear mechanism.
Bend the far outer slide contact further outwards.
Reassemble and test. I found this to be the problem and the cause of the short. It's not very well designed and could have been manufactured to be further away from the central contact disc. Once it has worn over time the contact started touching the inner race.
Just repaired mine. Let's see how long it lasts...
Be carefull when bending the contact. If you snap it out, be ready to buy a new unit. :bye:
Attachments
20200611_160406.jpg
20200611_160401.jpg
20200611_160356.jpg

Return to “Build your own:”