niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

New sliders for Rooies

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

The original Toyota side steps on Rooies were nice to stand on but they rattled and didn't really give much protection to the body, so I decided to replace them with some similar to those fitted to a friend's Vigo. They needed to be closer in to the body, protect the bottom of the doors, have place to stand when you forget to lock the hubs before driving into the mud and incorporate HL jack points too.

Starting material is two 1900mm pieces of 38x76x3mm rectangular section. First step is to cut triangles out of the ends to create a bevel.

Then weld that up:

Then holes for HL jack points from 38x3 round tube:

Make cuts where the hole saw cuts meet the inside wall and weld in the round tube:

Then get short lengths of 38x3mm round tube bent at my local exhaust place:

Also added the brackets from 76x38 U-channel and 80x10mm flat bar with 5mm plate gussets

Cut and weld in the bends:

Check the fit and decide a center support is needed:

Weld in the center support, and discover I can actually weld occasionally :D: :

And ready for test fitting:

Remove the old steps and discover someone once shot a hole in the floor of the cab, behind the driver's seat:

And finally finished, ready for galvanising and powder coating:
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: New sliders for Rooies

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice, well done Nic. :thumbup:

Personally I would hot dip galvanise without the pacifier dip afterwards and then use a red oxide etch primer and enamel overcoat. I really don't like powder coating - it's great if it never gets chipped / scratched - once that happens, you can't do a touch-up. The spray-painting is also something that you can DIY at home. :winkx:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you put the one mounting bracket so far from the end of the slider and jack point?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Nice job :thumbup:

Brackets are probably placed to line up with existing holes in the chassis :think:

I never had any luck with painting galvanized surfaces, even with all the fancy primers & treatments. Same with aluminium, hence the reason we had the canopies powder coated as it is guaranteed not to peel. So far the powder coating looks like it is pretty tough as it has survived a few nicks during fitting, but it will never take the same beating as sliders.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm Nice, well done Nic. :thumbup:

Personally I would hot dip galvanise without the pacifier dip afterwards and then use a red oxide etch primer and enamel overcoat. I really don't like powder coating - it's great if it never gets chipped / scratched - once that happens, you can't do a touch-up. The spray-painting is also something that you can DIY at home. :winkx:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you put the one mounting bracket so far from the end of the slider and jack point?
I've not really had issues with the powder coating before, the previous ones were 30 years old and the powder coating is still fine except where it's been polished off by driver's legs. Besides I have a friend in the polymer research world and he has given me the epoxy and some carbon black, so if I do need to touch it up, I can.

The mounting brackets are positioned in the same location as on the originals. It's difficult to move the front one forward due to the inward curve in the chassis. I jacked it up during the test fit and the flex seemed minimal.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

:thumbup: Well done Nic.Very neat and strong set of sliders you made there.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Got them back from galvanizing and powder coating

And mounted
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I like your design, looks very nice
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Thanks!

It's pretty much a copy of the ones on my friend's Vigo, not sure who made them though

Only one issue. The galvanizers decided, in their wisdom, and despite me drilling it full of holes, that they had to drill more holes in the outside face of the driver's side one but not the passenger side one.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Only one issue. The galvanizers decided, in their wisdom, and despite me drilling it full of holes, that they had to drill more holes in the outside face of the driver's side one but not the passenger side one.

:o: :shock2: :slap: :slap: :slap: :aggresive:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Build your own:”