Members' DIY projects
Joseph Rakauoane
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maseru
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Lamps on twincab roll bar, good or bad?

Post by Joseph Rakauoane »

I have Hilux rader twin cab, I am willing to make it look more smarter. I am thinking of mounting the lamps on the rollbar. I wonder if by doing that the vihicle will have a slight change.
Attachments
`Malesibana3.jpg
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Re: Lamps on twincab roll bar, good or bad?

Post by Riceburner »

You will get bad reflection off your bonnet and they might hookup on your garage door.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

In some countries it is illegal to have spotlights installed higher than the vehicles standard high beams
To God be the glory
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

That is actually the case here in SA.. But some guys in the rural areas are getting away with them hooked up onto a 6 volt system to glow softly so that the wildlife can see them. If not, the kudu jump high enough to clear the headlight as that is what they see to be the highest point, then they end up here.... :o: :o: :o:

NUWEJAARMACHANDRE20052006106.jpg
NUWEJAARMACHANDRE20052006104.jpg
But then again some guys are getting their vehicles taken off the road after being "tagged" by a cop, and when time comes to renew the license, the vehicle has to go through a road worthy again.. I suppose if the above pics is your concern, then add those pilot lights like the Hummer, GMC and Dodge trucks have :wink:
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Joseph Rakauoane
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maseru
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by Joseph Rakauoane »

I am very thankful for the advices that I got on this issue, I think this is important as it may lead to accidents. I really have to reconsider this menner of sporting my vehicle. Thurther advice on this issue will be highly appriciated. Thanks, thanks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

When driving at night in kudu country without roof lamps, you can put the interior light on. Might be a little distracting for some to start off, but you soon get used to it, and it works just as well for jumping game if not better because they can see the full length of the cab.

This is not a uncommon occurrance, especially with kudu, and can often be fatal, especially at speed.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Driko
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4

Post by Driko »

I had 4 spotlights on my Hilux and 4 on my new kingcab rollbar - i had no reflection on my bonnet , i might have been lucky but i never had a run in with the law in any way over the 5 year period while i drove both - one thing though - on my lux i had pencilbeam lights which gave one helluva distance reach but next to your vehicle its dark as hell , on the nissan i fitted pencilbeams to the bullbar and 4 floodlight types on the rollbar WOW was all i could say - did a lot of night time driving back then having 180d of light all around was marvelous
The older the Hilux the more fun it is!!
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

When I got my bakkie it had 4 spots on the rollbar, :shock: :shock: which I emediatly removed. I could not get it in the garage and they were static so could not fit the canopy. :?: :!: It did not even look that cool 8 )
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I have a pair of spots fitted to the rear of the canopy, connected to a seperate toggle switch, facing backward to assist with reversing at night. Another thing they come in handy for is when some idiot is driving behind with highbeam on, a two second flash of those soon rectifies the problem. :mrgreen:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Another thing they come in handy for is when some idiot is driving behind with highbeam on, a two second flash of those soon rectifies the problem.
:think: I whant them optop for the trucks and bussis

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Piesang wrote:
Another thing they come in handy for is when some idiot is driving behind with highbeam on, a two second flash of those soon rectifies the problem.
:think: I whant them optop for the trucks and bussis
I have a handheld spotlight that I have used on a few occasions for helping people see the light...... :lol: :lol:
I am investigating the fitment of a Hella Worklamp rectangular one on the towbar as the height is ideal for highbeam driviers, but more so when traversing difficult terrain at night and having to reverse or recover another vehicle...... :wink:
Johan Marais

Return to “Build your own:”