Home Made Hilux accessories

Members' DIY projects
Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Home Made Hilux accessories

Post by Whitters »

Post pics of your homemade accessories here
Here are a few posts and pics of accessories I've added to my Hilux. Hopefully it will give one or 2 of you an idea for yourself and maybe I'll get an idea from one of your return posts. Any questions or contacts details of suppliers please give me a shout I'm more that happy to help.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, toally worn out, screaming shit what a ride!

1998 Hilux SFA, 2.8d(t) D/C
Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Diff breathers

Post by Whitters »

Most vehicles have 3 breathers (excluding engine components) which could be susceptible to water damage during deep wading. Namely rear diff, front diff and gearbox. This is to allow the diff to stay at the same pressure as the outside atmosphere. These breathers have caps on them to prevent dust and water (from splashing) from entering the chamber.

Mod: remove the cap and pull a small hose over the breather pipe (in some instances you may wish to braise a short piece of break piping to extend the breather and give more grip to the hose) clamp and run the hose up towards the engine bay. Try to run the hose where it is protected against the side of the chassis or better inside the chassis if you can. Remember to allow for wheel travel (jack the vehicle up on the body with a high lift jack to be sure the hose allows for full extension of the suspension) you don't want the hose pulling off. Put the breather caps back on the top end of the hose and clamp in the engine bay, preferably at the highest point and be careful of heat. In the Hilux behind the break booster works best. Also with the SFA Hiluxes you don't need to bother about the gearbox, the breather for this is inside the gear shift leaver..

More coming soon.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, toally worn out, screaming shit what a ride!

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

draw sliding system

Post by Whitters »

can't take all the credit for this concept as I saw a picture of someone else’s draw system. Any pic 1 is the basic layout I designed according to dimensions. Pic 2 is of the wooden boards which cover the frame to form the new floor and Pic 3 is the frame I designed around my layout. I then printed a bunch of pic 3 and used this to calculate the number of connect-it pieces i needed as well as the amount of Al square tubing I needed as well as the lengths I needed to cut them into.

Ok, here are some pics of the frame. The 6 ammo cases fit into the draw, and the wooden boards fit above the frame. I'm not much of a welder and as i was working with aluminium welding was not an option, pic 4 shows a corner piecr of the frame. Pic 5 shows tha fraim in the bakkie and the last 2pic finished show the product

some more info,

check out:
http://www.furnlock.co.za/
Non ferrous metal works
Johannesburg
31 Nasmith Avenue
Jupiter
Heriotdale
011 - 626 3390
Pretoria
264 Zeiler Street
Pretoria West
012 – 327 0016
Maizeys
PRETORIA
Head office
Pretoria West, 0117
320 Mitchell Street
Pretoria West
Tel: (012) 352-2000 (new number)
JOHANNESBURG
6 Loveday street,
South Selby,
Johannesburg
011 493-6783
http://www.maizey.co.za

It is really a easy project a night or 2 planning then sat morning running around getting equipment and you'll have it up and running by Sunday lunch.

I used 2x furnlock slides whith 100km load each.
on the front side of the draw I fitted a dead bolt for security.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

EGT Gauge

Post by Whitters »

I got this one from auto Style in JHB (know they also have a branch in Durban) The gauge set me back R800 and included the sensor. Luck for me the Hilux comes with a pre drilled hole in the manifold and the sensor screws straight in. I bought a pod holder from them to mount it in as i want to be able to monitor it constantly.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

fresh water tank

Post by Whitters »

60Liter fresh water tank, bought from Makro and fits between the wheel arches behind the draw system. It is the same height as the wheel arches. A small hole for the hose through the wheel arch and fastened a tap at the back behind the bumper for protection.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Whitters »

Another nice quick and cheep accessory is an extension for your spare wheel. It just allows you to check the pressure of the spare without dropping it down you can also pump it from this point. The last thing you want is to get a puncture and then realize your spare is also flat.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

safe

Post by Whitters »

Something I find useful is a gun safe I bought from builders warehouse and bolted behind the back seat. It’s great for keeping extra money and passports. Just be sure to bolt it in from the bottom and lock 2 nuts together from the inside of the safe.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

fire extinguisher

Post by Whitters »

Something everyone should have is a fire extinguisher. And it needs to be accessible. If you’r driving thought the Kalahari on a hot day and you stop on the side of the road for a cold one and tufts of grass touching the exhaust burst into flame you’ve only got a few seconds until you can kiss your vehicle good buy. I’ve mounted mine in front of the passengers seat. It is up against the seat so it does not bother swambo. I mounted the extinguisher cradle to the seat with big cable ties so that I can still move the seat backwards and forwards.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

center consol.

Post by Whitters »

This is realty only for the old SFA Hilux and similar which didn’t come out with a center consol. I bought an aluminum case from 4x4 mega world (R140). I drilled out the hinges and the latches and pop riveted them to the back and front so that case opens backwards. It fits exactly between the seats and provides a nice arm rest. The seats hold it in place so there is no need to secure it and you don’t need to remove the existing plastic tray. You can slide the consol forwards or backwards depending on your preference and it does not interfere with your passengers on the back seat.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

electric box

Post by Whitters »

And lastly this is a project I’ve just started, it’s a electric box which incorporates my 400w inverter, battery charger, compressor, fuses and outputs. It fits in next to the draw system with the deep cycle battery behind it. Will post when I’m done with it.

Whitters
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Whitters »

Right that’s me for now, let’s see what you guys can add…. :D

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Well done.
Excellent work on the drawer system.Looks very professional.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Watertank

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Whitters
How do you fill that water tank? Does it have a pipe that runs to the back of the bakkie?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Home Made Hilux accessories….

Post by Family_Dog »

Whitters is away in "Down-Under Land" for a couple of years, but he has some excellent ideas here. I'm in the market for building a set of drawers or at least a sliding load area as Wade has done in his D4D, but I quite like the idea of a concealed safe, the Dual Battery in the rear, and the Inverter setup.

Anybody else have any other ideas for a project like this?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

See the pics disappeared. Long time ago I saved some of the pics at
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/draw_system/index.php
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Maybe they're working on the hosting server. I was here last weekend and copied the drawer system pictures. Whitters had some nice ideas at the time.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

hilux hilife
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: '97 hilux D/C 2.7i 3RZ

Post by hilux hilife »

Hi Gents and ladies if there are any,
I am in the process of building a wooden draw system for my D/C SFA, myself and a mate started last night and we've almost completed the structure, i will post some pictures when done as I was in the usual rush to complete I didnt take any pictures.
Essentially it is a two draw system with the feezer mounted on the LHS and an aux battery installed behind the LHS wheel arch the draws slide, wood on wood and I found them to be quite adequate no need for expensive sliders.
I also stole some of whitters ideas with a power console wired up with outlets of differing amperage capacity.
I hope to have the final product in place by early next week when I will send some pics. Cost R2000. al linclusive
cheers
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Twin shifters

Post by Riceburner »

Dual lowrange cases with dual shifters
Attachments
indexCARM8STR.jpg
indexCAN3S6SJ.jpg
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Daryll... be so kind and post us some pics of the other side of those gear leavers. I would love to see how you arranged the transfer cases etc.

:D: :D: :D: :D:
To God be the glory
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

This is not mine but heres a pic
Attachments
0441.jpg
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Very nice! I take it you now have to take extra care of your drive shafts and your birfield (I think that is what it's called) do to the torque you can create with those two transfer cases :o: :o:
To God be the glory
kukuza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: kzte 4x4

Post by kukuza »

Hi there,

Many thanks for your little mod's done and how you accomplished them.

One question - I have tried going around to all the tyre shops with the aim of completeing the spare wheel modification regarding tyre pressure etc....however, no one can help.

Please could you let me know how you did this exactly.

Many thanks
Patrick
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

Very handu stuff for me, tx guys, especially the diff breather
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
braider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2007 D/cab 3.0 D4-D Raider

Post by braider »

Geeez u guys are hardcore! Anyone wanna pimp my ride a lil for me?
Cheaper Diesel

Make sure you don't pay more than you should for your next tank...
http://www.cheaperdiesel.co.za
kukuza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by kukuza »

Hi there all,

I am thinking of putting on an extra spare wheel mounting on the back of my KZTE.....a swing rear bumper mounted type.

Does anywone have any good ideas for a home built version or should I rather get a pre-manufactured & fitted version?

Thanks
Patrick
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I know that Goerge and one or two other members here have bult their own.
Scooter
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Home Made Hilux accessories

Post by Scooter »

Do a search, you should find various threads about spare wheel carriers.

I remember there was a thread that had a link to a page that showed a guys home built unit using a golf hub or something :shock: , but I cant think of where it was. :thumbdown:

Here is another option to the normal outswing arm that I found on the net
http://www.backrack.co.za/aboutbackrack.htm
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Here you go, have a look at this one: http://www.overland.co.za/HomeMade/Jaco ... rrier.html
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Scooter wrote:Here is another option to the normal outswing arm that I found on the net http://www.backrack.co.za/aboutbackrack.htm
Scott, I built one like that and after 2 days in the bush I was ready to throw it away.

it is more trouble that it is worth and has since been removed and replaced with this.

I would much rather do a swing-arm. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thys, which one are you saying is *a*?
For those that dont have a nice canopy to fix the spare to, a swing arm is the best option, after underneath of course.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Scooter wrote:Thys, which one are you saying is tjol?
I refer to the "Up-and-down-in-the-middle-and-always-in-the-way" one as in the first 3 pics of my post Scott. I agree with the swing-arm, if I didnt have a alu-canopy I would have built a swing-arm.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Kaspaas wrote:
Scooter wrote:Thys, which one are you saying is tjol?
I refer to the "Up-and-down-in-the-middle-and-always-in-the-way" one as in the first 3 pics of my post Scott. I agree with the swing-arm, if I didnt have a alu-canopy I would have built a swing-arm.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ahhh, there in lies the problem, I cannot see the first three pics in your post :oops: :lol:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Scooter wrote:Ahhh, there in lies the problem, I cannot see the first three pics in your post :oops: :lol:
Better now?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

kukuza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by kukuza »

Thanks guys, :clap:

The 'Backrack' looks interesting as well, has any member actually purchased and is using one of these....if so what are the comments?

None of these things are cheep and if they give any problems then I may just keep the extra spare on the roof rack (when I get one) as the overall usage of a tailgate version vs cost of a roof rack & spare wheel bracket looks better to go for the roof rack option?

Any thoughts??

thx
Patrick
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

kukuza wrote:The 'Backrack' looks interesting as well, has any member actually purchased and is using one of these....if so what are the comments?
Is cumbersome and frustrating. The wheel on the roof thing creates more wind resistance therefore more fuel consumption, and it is a "female dog" to get the wheel up and down from there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: But as an "in the mean time" solution it is not too bad. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Grand Junction
Vehicle: 85 extracab

Post by rock solid »

i made a rear disc brake conversion setup in my garage
it used the sfa rotors, calipers and wheel studs

rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rock solid »

my triple transfercases
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rock solid »

square .25 wall front driveshaft for dual t-cases
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We've seen this done before by one of your fellow countrymen ('Missouriman'), and I would wonder about play, rattles and ballancing. On the front shaft I suppose it's not too critical if you're only doing crawling and slow stuff. :think: Here we take ours to engineering works that cut the shaft tube and add a length in that is trued and afterward ballanced on a lathe. No high speed vibrations or other issues. :D

Here's a link to Missouriman's thread .......

viewtopic.php?t=6705
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Why can't I see the photos?? :cry:
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

rock solid wrote:i made a rear disc brake conversion setup in my garage
it used the sfa rotors, calipers and wheel studs
How does your handbrake work :think:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Whitters

I'm not able to view the pictures and you have very good ideas, very practical to say the least, :clap:

Regards,
Tumelo.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 11 Hilux 3.0D4D Auto 4x4

Post by 007 »

Must say, I like the rear disk brake conversions, but does the handbrake still work?
3.0 D4D Auto 4x4 - 2" lift, TJM bumper, Cooper STT's, Snorkel :)
CJ5 Jeep 350 v8, 3.5" lift, 33" MTRs
Yamaha quad
Honda CBR1000RR
Lasher Wheelbarrow...STD
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

kukuza wrote:Hi there all,

I am thinking of putting on an extra spare wheel mounting on the back of my KZTE.....a swing rear bumper mounted type.

Does anywone have any good ideas for a home built version or should I rather get a pre-manufactured & fitted version?

Thanks
Patrick
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyk of dit jou kan help.
Wynand02
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux 3.0 dbl cab a/t 4x4

Hi Lift Jack mounting

Post by Wynand02 »

As everybody without a roof rack, I have had endless trouble with the storage of my jack!
I have however sorted my problem this weekend.. See pic..
I have made a simple steel brace with brackets at the end that utilize the standard tie-down rings's bolt holes..
Attachments
image.jpeg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Wynand02 wrote:As everybody without a roof rack, I have had endless trouble with the storage of my jack!
I have however sorted my problem this weekend.. See pic..
I have made a simple steel brace with brackets at the end that utilize the standard tie-down rings's bolt holes..
Clever idea with the brace :thumbup: :thumbup:
Marlo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Vryburg North West
Vehicle: 97 Hilux lexus v8 4x4

Post by Marlo »

Het ook vir my Hi Lift Jack so bracket gemaak al myne is net aan die down pype van die rollbare vasgesit die jack pas mooi da.
sal n pic of 2 op sit as ek kaans kry
There is no elevator to success.
You have to take the stairs

ImageImageImage Image
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Post by Stuart Baak »

That hi lift jack brace is a great idea! Will have to look into that ;)
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

here's my Hi-lift jack setup:
1980-01-01 00.00.56.jpg
i'm thinking of cutting out the one pipe as it doesn't hold much and just takes up space
Brenties
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: VW Polo

Post by Brenties »

Hi guys

Please help I'm looking for the name of the company that manufacture these kinds of canopies saw this today and it's exactly what I'm looking for I tried getting the driver to stop but failed and tried taking a photo of the company logo but couldn't get it clearer please help

Thanx a lot Brent
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Alu-Cab or Gomad, many of the guys make them themselves (quite a few 'canopy build' threads here on the forum - just do a search). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mossienel
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux 2011 2.5d4d DC 4x4

Post by Mossienel »

I would recommend Gomad. [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Build your own:”