To EFI a 4Y

Members' DIY projects
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

To EFI a 4Y

Post by Spartan »

Never thought I will do it but seems like never is a long word :o :mrgreen: I need to EFI a 4Y, there is method in the madness. Is there a topic here that this conversion has been discussed :?: and where can I get a intake manifold. I did try to phone Bennie but could not get hold of him.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: To EFI a 4Y

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Have a look here pal:

viewtopic.php?t=3775

You'll get 3Y Fuel Injection stuff from an Engine Importer, the Taxi guys don't want them so they strip them off and put on a Carb.

You need one of Bennie's Dizzy's, that's the make or break of the package. :wink:

Good luck mate

Rich
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Baie dankie sal hom moet PM :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Does it have to be a 4Y :?: :?:

Reason I ask is that a 4Y doesn't rev lekker nê.

In hind site I would have Efi'd a 3Y as the bores are all the same on the Y Series Engines it's just the stroke that's longest on the 4Y but you pay for it big time in the higher rev range. :shock:

The 22R (2.4) is the next logical motor to EFi (for great torque and revving ability) in my books and old Riaan is presently taking orders for Efi parts that he's importing from the States. :P

Seriously dude think about it before you commit :wink:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Reason I ask is that a 4Y doesn't rev lekker nê.

In hind site I would have Efi'd a 3Y as the bores are all the same on the Y Series Engines it's just the stroke that's longest on the 4Y but you pay for it big time in the higher rev range. :shock:

Rich,

A properly breathed on 4Y does rev quite well for such an long stroke big 4 capacity engine.

My 4Y had a rev limiter set on the Dicky by old Bennie @ 6300rpm...... I could easily get 5500 rpm in 1,2 and 3 rd gear. :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Jaco, I wish you all the patience in the world. The only 2 hard parts what I found thus far is to clean everything and to get the correct parts. I spended over 16hours mainly into the evenings to clean, inspect and test the various parts. Then 5 hours on the road to get the additional parts, ie, ICV, pump, filters, piping(10mm piping goes for R75/m :sick: ), Fuel fittings, correct o-rings for the injectors, Air sensor and temp sensor.

I am currently still busy with Craig's(Mountian Man) wonderfull Red Hilux, this brings back memories, EISHH. To put everything together (Manifolds and some mechanics ) are easy. Spend 100% time on the wiring. Sit and plan everything, stop regularly and go throught it over twice, this ensure good work.

Regards,
Louis
4x4 Megaworld Menlyn
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Spartan is that really u or an imposter?

EFI'ing a 4Y... what a ridiculous thought... never...
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

RustyRod wrote:Spartan is that really u or an imposter?

Spartan is that really u or an imposter?

It is not for the Spartan he is 10000% OK, and I did say there is method in the madness, but I can't let the cat out of the bag yet 8 ) :lol: :lol: I have more than two bakkies
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Spartan wrote:I have more than two bakkies
ja well no fine... I don't help people with more than 1 bakkie... I'm too jealous!

What EMU are you going to use? :twisted: I heard there's a new hybrid box called the 'MicroDick'... sounds interesting... :silent:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

RustyRod wrote: I heard there's a new hybrid box called the 'MicroDick'... sounds interesting... :silent:
Doesn't sound very potent young man :wth:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

RustyRod wrote:What EMU are you going to use?
It wont be a original, I like the aftermarket stuff, gives you control. :twisted: I like the name of the hybrid :lol: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Big D... there's a better option than the 2JZ... fit the toy 3VZ-FE v6... it's simply an easier fit... more than powerful enough at 150kw with the standard ecu... if need be you can fit a piggyback system to fine tune it! This is my future plan... read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine#3VZ-FE

Commercial in JHB selling the engine for about R10500,00... it's basically the RWD version of the well known local camry 3L V6...

B :thumbup:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

RustyRod wrote:Big D... there's a better option than the 2JZ... fit the toy 3VZ-FE v6... it's simply an easier fit... more than powerful enough at 150kw with the standard ecu... if need be you can fit a piggyback system to fine tune it! This is my future plan... read more here:
Ek sal nie my lang 6 ruil vir n V6 nie, klink of jy kan brandewyn en coke drink :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Jaco I like all 3 motors, 7MGE, 2JZ and 3VZ-FE... but personally I like the V6 the most... and just for the record... Toyota actually detunes this engine electronically because they landed up making an engine that is more powerful than the 7MGE... the sportscar engine of choice in it's day! Using a piggyback system you can 'restore' this engine to full performance...

A quote from wikipedia:
The 1992-1993 engine has 185 hp (138 kW) at 5800 rpm and 189 ft·lbf (256 N·m) at 4600 rpm. 1994+ have 200 hp (149 kW) at 5800 rpm and 204 ft·lbf (277 N·m) at 4600 rpm. There is no mechanical difference in the engine. In an embarrassing move, Toyota inadvertently created an engine competing with the more performance oriented 7M-GE (200 hp) and 2JZ-GE (225 hp) installed in sportier, more luxurious cars of the time. Because of this; the stock ignition timing and fueling was noticibly detuned. The power spread of the 3VZ-FE is wide, having 100% torque between 2500–4600 rpm, with power trailing off by 6000 rpm. Stock redline is 6600 rpm, and the ECU's fuel/ignition cut is 7200 rpm.

Some nitrous/turbo versions make 336kw.

Sounds lekker... just got to save up!
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Bretton

Is the 3vz-fe a 3.0 liter or 3.4liter?
In what vechile was it origanaly used?
What was the v6 motor that was standard in the usa hilux called?
What do you need for the conversion?
R10500 for a new or secondhand or "korean duplicate" ?

Thank you
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Evert Deyzel wrote:Bretton

1. Is the 3vz-fe a 3.0 liter or 3.4liter?
2. In what vechile was it origanaly used?
3. What was the v6 motor that was standard in the usa hilux called?
4. What do you need for the conversion?
5. R10500 for a new or secondhand or "korean duplicate" ?

Thank you
Evert
If I can put on my best Pink accent I'll reply for him:

1. 3.0 ltr (the 3.4 is the 5vz-fe)
2. Camry Asia Pacific Rim Trading Area
3. Also in US Hilux
4. Very little plugs onto a 4Y bell housing - just the ancillaries - HP Pomp, EMU etc etc
5. Price is for OEM Toyota Motor that has done 100,000Kms in Japan or recon from Member State ie. NZ

R :wink:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

RustyRod wrote:Re: To EFI a 4Y
Jaco I like all 3 motors, 7MGE, 2JZ and 3VZ-FE... but personally I like the V6 the most... and just for the record... Toyota actually detunes this engine electronically because they landed up making an engine that is more powerful than the 7MGE... the sportscar engine of choice in it's day! Using a piggyback system you can 'restore' this engine to full performance...

A quote from wikipedia:
The 1992-1993 engine has 185 hp (138 kW) at 5800 rpm and 189 ft·lbf (256 N·m) at 4600 rpm. 1994+ have 200 hp (149 kW) at 5800 rpm and 204 ft·lbf (277 N·m) at 4600 rpm. There is no mechanical difference in the engine. In an embarrassing move, Toyota inadvertently created an engine competing with the more performance oriented 7M-GE (200 hp) and 2JZ-GE (225 hp) installed in sportier, more luxurious cars of the time. Because of this; the stock ignition timing and fueling was noticibly detuned. The power spread of the 3VZ-FE is wide, having 100% torque between 2500–4600 rpm, with power trailing off by 6000 rpm. Stock redline is 6600 rpm, and the ECU's fuel/ignition cut is 7200 rpm.

Some nitrous/turbo versions make 336kw.

Sounds lekker... just got to save up!
Bou hom dan sal ons kom kyk in watter rat spin hy die beste :twisted: :twisted:
Bretton soos julle engelsmanne sê "Different stroke for different folk" my van loop lekker. :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Jaco the big difference here of course is you are already enjoying the 2JZ... which is an awesome motor... I, on the other hand, am only dreaming... :thumbup:

Evert go read all about it on wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine

This engine was used in the lexus's overseas, as well as in the hilux in a few markets... locally it was used in FWD format in the Camry 3L V6... the big plus point about this engine is that it was totally over-engineered, and is very strong...

The VZ 6 pot Toy engines were replaced around 1996/1997 with the MZ series, big differences being alu block with cast iron sleeves, and VVTi technology... power was about 168kw... depending on tuning...

B
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Bretton

Correct me if im wrong:
1. I remember reading on the forum that the 3VZ-FE is prone to HG failure, is this true or was it the 5FZ-FE?

Then just a few questions:

2. Do both the 3VZ-FE and 5VZ-VE fit on the "4Y bellhousing"?
3. What do you guys think is the chance you could get such a motor with the origanal Toyota management?
4. Did they use both the motors in the Hilux?
5. What do you think or know one would need to change/replace/modify (e.g radiator,bellhousing,enginemounts etc.) if one should do this conversion, and what would the reliability be?
6. What would the estimated cost of such a conversion be if one do all the work self?
7. Expected fuel consumpsion?
8. Could one fit a ICV to the setup or does it already have one or is it impossible?

Sorry for all the questions but i am really interested in this topic.
Your or anybodys comments would be appreciated...

Thank you
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2

ImageImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Evert Deyzel wrote: Correct me if im wrong:
1. I remember reading on the forum that the 3VZ-FE is prone to HG failure - Yes you did :shh: :shh: :shh:

(not the 5VZ)
Thank you
Evert
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Seems i still have some of my memory left.
Come on guys
Some more info would be great.

Thank you
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2

ImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Evert.... my answers:
Evert Deyzel wrote:Bretton

Correct me if im wrong:
1. I remember reading on the forum that the 3VZ-FE is prone to HG failure, is this true or was it the 5FZ-FE?

Then just a few questions:

2. Do both the 3VZ-FE and 5VZ-VE fit on the "4Y bellhousing"?

No, on further investigation I found out a custom bellhousing has to made, as well as clutch assembly, costs about R3500

3. What do you guys think is the chance you could get such a motor with the origanal Toyota management?

Very good, the engine imports I spoke to said the engine comes with management ecu... if you want to tweak it, it is possible to fit a piggyback system, of which I have zilch knowledge...

4. Did they use both the motors in the Hilux?

Yes overseas the 3VZ was used in the 4Runner and Surf... basically Hilux's... the 5VZ has approven itself in the local Prado to be an excellent motor...

5. What do you think or know one would need to change/replace/modify (e.g radiator,bellhousing,enginemounts etc.) if one should do this conversion, and what would the reliability be?

Reliability is difficult to gauge, depends on how well the installation is done and condition of the import engine... radiator, bellhousing, engine mounts all change... just like a 7MGE or Lexus, and almost any other conversion on a SFA..

6. What would the estimated cost of such a conversion be if one do all the work self?

Guys like Hoppy will know this answer, I would estimate R 25000+ a bit ... motor 10K, bellhousing & clutch 3.5K, engine mounts 1K, radiator & fan 2.5K, exhaust system 2K... and bucket loads of patience and persaverance!

7. Expected fuel consumpsion?

It's all relative... about 6-7 km/l in town and 7.5-8 on the open road, depending on driving style... 3.5 km/l offroad at worst

8. Could one fit a ICV to the setup or does it already have one or is it impossible?

This i don't know, if nit is not std, then you would probably need a aftermarket ECU to control it!

Sorry for all the questions but i am really interested in this topic.
Your or anybodys comments would be appreciated...

Thank you
Evert
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

RustyRod wrote:Big D... there's a better option than the 2JZ... fit the toy 3VZ-FE v6... it's simply an easier fit...
I don't agree, the 2JZ is sorted and prooven :Geek:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
rock solid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Grand Junction
Vehicle: 85 extracab

Post by rock solid »

ive pulled out a few blown 3vz's, they are the worst motor toyota ever put into a truck.
lots of blown head gaskets and spun rod bearings
go with the 5vz 3.4, that is a great motor.
or the 3rz is a way better choice.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've been considering the 3RZ myself. Being a straight 4, there's a little less weight, more room to fit and work. Then also with the longer stroke it should deliver a decent torque at low revs with the added bonus that on the open road it should still perform well with a reasonable fuel economy. A more practical conversion overall than the 6 cyl. JZ's and MG's, I think. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Mud Dog wrote:A more practical conversion overall than the 6 cyl. JZ's and MG's, I think.
Horses for causes, Tot jy n JZ gery het my oom dan praat ons weer :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja, Jaco .... I know there is no comparison between the two motors for speed and power. As you say, horses for courses, and I'm not into drag racing :D: .... what I said is that the 3RZ is probably a better overall conversion for the guys that are going off-road, budu-bashing, trails, obstacle courses and overlanding as well as general on-road use. A long stroke 2.7i must surely perform much better than the old 4Y, as well as being a better ballance in the power to weight ratio. So better economy as well, which might not be that significant in short hops but for overlanding and longer distances, well worth it. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Terg net oom, waar wat jy se. :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan

Return to “Build your own:”