Please tell us how your Hilux helped somebody in need
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Berakah-1, Hilux-0

Post by Bfreesani »

Was in Parys Monday. Took a UK visitor around Berakah. It was so quiet, not even the owners were there.

We were two vehicles, but sadly the day was cut short when the 2005 30D Hilux broke it's front diff. I was willing to help it along :twisted: with the lux's rear diff lock, but soon realised that this was not going to work. So we called it a day only half way round the track..

So, Berakah-1, Hilux-0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWwBZD8GfM

In all fairness I feel sorry for this guy. He has major IFS problems after running Maxxis bighorn 31's. Last week he had to go back to his 245's, but only did this on the front. With 31's on the rear and 245's on the front, the front diff was getting a reversing action on the gears with windup from the rear wheels. On top of that, when we got back, we found some major water damage to a wheel bearing on the right side, and on opening the diff filler, water and gunk came running out, along with a bit of a gear tooth :cry: ..

At the end of the day, I think the biggest hold up to the fun we could have had, was the Swambos. Especially the Lux Swambo. Fearful to the point of walking half the trail (in the MUD :twisted: ), thought I was raving mad, and the Hubby was even worse for wanting to follow me :crazy:

Any ideas where this guy can get some help (cheaply) to fix the diff. He is also self employed and the economy has not been kind to us the last while. I hope to get him on this forum soon as well, but he hardly knows how to switch a computer on.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Berakah-1, Hilux-0

Post by CasKru »

Unfortunately I cannot help but do have question though. On the video it seems that he has some of those Vision X LED lights. Is this the case?
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I was going to ask how on earth did he manage to break his front diff on Berakah, then I read this:
In all fairness I feel sorry for this guy. He has major IFS problems after running Maxxis bighorn 31's. Last week he had to go back to his 245's, but only did this on the front. With 31's on the rear and 245's on the front, the front diff was getting a reversing action on the gears with windup from the rear wheels. On top of that, when we got back, we found some major water damage to a wheel bearing on the right side, and on opening the diff filler, water and gunk came running out, along with a bit of a gear tooth :cry: ..
He should never have driven this car like that. With difflock on the rear and in 4WDL, this was an accident waiting to happen. Expensive way to learn. This would break any car's diff and the fact that the Hilux lasted as long as it did is simply amazing. Condolences to the chap, but this was to be expected.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

InSani ;-)
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Cassie, those are the normal little halogen mini spots you get at Midas. I would not use them myself. They seem to be as bad as those chrome type 6" spots that fill up with water when it just rains. Swambo got me a set of the 6" jobbies a while back, put them on as my Hella's had broken, the car stood in the rain over night and they were all misted up the next morning.

Yip Eric, agree, and was amazed at the wheel bearing that had got water in it on the right. The bearing had disintegrated. When we took it apart it smelled like acid/sewage. I have never seen wheel bearing grease gone that way either. Not sure how the water gets into like that. But he is lucky the wheel bearing failed on the trail and not on the highway. The wheel was starting get loose on the axle, you can see it moving around form side to side. But it was difficult to pinpoint with the IFS play he also had.
Later....
David
Hillbilly

Return to “Recovery Stories”