PV panels for V&A Waterfront

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

PV panels for V&A Waterfront

Post by ChrisF »

Seems Pieter might run low on stock :lmao: :lmao:

The V&A Waterfront’s ongoing drive to safeguard both its historic and environmental legacy was rewarded with Heritage Platinum status, in recognition of efforts to preserve the property’s unique history. Waterfront management also announced a forward-thinking plan to introduce a R20 million solar project that will significantly reduce reliance on the national grid.
To recognise businesses that have achieved full compliance with the heritage standards of Heritage South Africa, Heritage Platinum status is awarded through the combined scoring of a business’s environmental performance and community involvement, and must achieve an overall score of at least 94% in these areas. The V&A Waterfront received its first heritage status rating in 2012 and has steadily progressed to Platinum status this year, becoming one of only four establishments in the Western Cape to have Platinum Heritage status.

In addition to their new Platinum Heritage status, the V&A Waterfront is also determined to look to the future. Announced today, more than 7 000 square metres of solar panels will soon be installed on the roofs of buildings across the V&A Waterfront, significantly reducing the property’s dependence on the electrical grid. The R20 millions Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Project will conserve an estimated 1 721 956 kWh annually, or the equivalent of the energy needed to power 574 four-person households.

“Our environment is a fragile one and we owe it to future generations to adopt renewable energy resources. Our new solar infrastructure means we can significantly reduce our environmental footprint and draw less power from the grid. This translates into a tangible benefit for residents of Cape Town as there will be more power available for them, and it makes good business sense for us too” says David Green, CEO of the V&A Waterfront.

Beginning in August 2015 and scheduled for completion by end 2015 or early 2016, PV panels will be installed by Sustainable Power Solutions on the roofs of the Watershed, the Breakwater, the Clock Tower, Granger Bay, Two Oceans Aquarium, Ports Edge, West Quay and Portswood House. The result is a reduction in total electrical consumption of the building.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Re: PV panels for V&A Waterfront

Post by ismail »

Nice, good comapny that, Sustainable Power Solutions, had some dealings with them.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ismail wrote:Nice, good comapny that, Sustainable Power Solutions, had some dealings with them.
Interesting times .....

Earlier this month we put out a tender for about 75kW worth of pv installation. What fun to get the guys to quote !! One actually just replied that they dont quote under 100kVA ..... until he heard our client actually had him up as a preferred supplier ....

close to putting out another tender for about 450kVA system - that is about 5 000 m2, while the V&A job is about 7 000m2. Logistically our site is MUCH easier and the costs are MUCH lower.

companies are now "suggesting" a payback period of between 4 and 7 years. MUCH better than the same maths of last year. Granted, they conveniently ignore the interest costs ..... so in real terms the payback is still more than 10 years for most clients.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Chris on those bigger systems, whats your R/W?
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I will ask our electrical guys that work with these projects.

Return to “Alternative Energy”