Most Insane amount of Power

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Most Insane amount of Power

Post by pietpetoors »

Imagine this one the wheels ! :yahoo:
440 kW (590 hp) of power, and over 6,000 Nm (4,425 lb·ft)
:shock2: :shock2:
Acceleration is disappointing though, only 4.9 sec for 0.100 km/h, but I guess that has more to do with insufficient traction control rather than insufficient power.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elaphe- ... -a-bmw-x6/
Elaphe Propulsion Technologies has built a demonstrator vehicle that it claims is the highest-performing in-wheel-powered car ever.

The modified BMW X6 uses 4 Elaphe L1500 gearless electric motors mounted inside the wheels. It delivers over 440 kW (590 hp) of power, and over 6,000 Nm (4,425 lb·ft) of direct-drive torque. The 5,300-pound vehicle can reach 62 mph in under 4.9 seconds.

Elaphe will use the demonstrator for on-vehicle validation and testing. The company is investing heavily in R&D and scaling up production – it recently won a grant of over 1 million euros from the EU to help bring its L1500 in-wheel motor into mass production.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Most Insane amount of Power

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting. I always wonder about the wheel motor technology and how this design stands up to the challenges of motor weight. Specifically the amount of road-shock transfer into the body because of that bulky unsprung weight. Also how well do the motors stand up to road-shock over a period of time. Certainly there are advantages in that there is no drive train required which save a massive amount of weight as well as wear and tear and subsequent maintenance costs on such conventional drive trains.

I'm sure that the developers have considered all the angles, but I also wonder why they have opted for the wheel motor technology which is restrictive by it's very nature, when alternatively they could mount each motor statically to the chassis and make use of a half shaft to each wheel. My thinking is that you are then not restricted in the motor design / size / shape and that the ride would be smoother because of the lesser unsprung weight, albeit with the addition of shafts and CV's. Motors will probably also be less prone to being damaged. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Andy I think you may be one step ahead of the ELECTRICAL engineers ....

for now the technological development is about finding the right balance of power and batteries.

Vehicle dynamics should be a quick fix after that ....

I would like to see those "cables" feeding those motors !!! roughly 100kw per motor .... might not sound like much to a petrolhead, but that is a sizable electric motor requiring serious cables ..... and a substantial drain on any battery pack ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

bit off-topic, well slightly ....

but have a look at the e-bike technology. European sales are now 50% conventional bikes and 50% e-bikes !! NO, it is NOT a "motorbike". It measures your pedal input, and then adds electrical power as per the selected mode. One of the photographers for the Cape Epic used one of these bikes - stop off take pics, fall FAR behind, power mode and zoom past pro-riders !! set up, take more pics, repeat again and again ....
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

No man,

Fossil fuels still rule! Just read n article on the new Benz E63 - 450kw and 0-100 in 3.8 seconds......

But I guess the new technology of the electric car will soon completely surpass fossil fuel performance?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Think again :cooldude:
The Tesla Model S P100D, with 760 horsepower and all-wheel-drive, jumped from a dead stop to 60 miles an hour in 2.28 seconds in a test by Motor Trend.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/07/technol ... index.html
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

challenges of motor weight. Specifically the amount of road-shock transfer into the body because of that bulky unsprung weight.
Was thinking about this....
How much of the road shock will really be transferred to the body due to the heavy motor? Me thinks the intertia of the heavy motor will cause less road-shock to be transferred. Maybe because the motor is heavy, more road shock will be absorbed by the tyres because the motor is not as easy to move as a lightweight wheel.

What I have read so far is that the challenge with hub motors is the cables going into the hub motor. It must be thick, have the tendency to overheat and because the wheel moves up and down the cables tend to either break of schuff.
Personally think the less moving components you have the less power is lost due to friction and there are less parts that can break. Also imagine how low your centre of gravity is with them heavy wheels on the ground and 300mm above that is a 1 ton battery pack, that is very cool.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

This is the future: Volvo follows Musk, abandons internal combustion engine
Promising the "historic end" of cars that only have combustion engines, Volvo Car Group will introduce five electric models by 2021 and offer hybrid options across its product line.

http://www.biznewspm.com/article/this-i ... 2017-07-05
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Also read:
http://www.reuters.com/article/volvocar ... SL8N1IJ1AI
May 17 Swedish carmaker Volvo will not develop any new diesel engines as the cost of reducing emissions of nitrogen oxide is becoming too expensive, Chief Executive Hakan Samuelsson was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

"From today's perspective, we will not develop any more new- generation diesel engines," Samuelsson told German's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in an interview.

Return to “Alternative Energy”