Date for the National: Hilux forum get together

Here you can inform and discuss regional events as well as plan get-together events.

When must we orginize this National Hilux4x4 get together event?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 am

October 2008
30%
November 2008
9%
December 2008
11%
January 2009
4%
February 2009
No votes
March 2009
6%
Apil 2009 (Easter weekend)
34%
April 2009 (Not Easter weekend)
2%
Later
4%

Total votes: 47

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Date for the National: Hilux forum get together

Post by Niel »

As requested, the poll to indicate when we should organize this event :?:
Niel

Re: Date for the National: Hilux forum get together

Post by Niel »

I think we keep this poll open for another 3 weeks and in the interim we can get suggestions for venues thereafter we start moving with arrangements .....
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I have already voted, maybe we can get Toyota South Africa envolved, does anybody know somebody who we can contact that will sponsor.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Vossie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/Cab 4x4 3.0 Diesel

Post by Vossie »

Hi guys, as I am new to the forum, I am not sure what this get together means. Can anybody with a Hilux join, or is it a closed event? and what does it cost? is it like a 4x4 trip, or just a get together to meet each other?

Thank you
Vossie
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Vossie,

It's just a get-together for as many of us as can make it, preferably with our Hiluxs's as well. We're trying to find a time suitable for most people and as central to most of the participants as possible. Costs will obviously be determined by distance travelled and accommodation available. An off-road outing will be the way we would prefer to go.

I haven't voted for any specific time as I will have to play it by ear and decide on participation pending the date as well as the eventual destination. One of the pitfalls of working for yourself is that you cannot just take leave whenever you want to do so, your business interests always have to come first. But I'm certainly hoping to be there, wherever!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Queenstown

The Rocky Mountain 4x4 Trail. rated 2 to 5
The Bamboeshoek 4x4 Trail. rated 3 to 5
The Hangklip Mountain 4x4 Trail. rated 2 to 5
The Quarry 4x4 Trail rated 3 to 5.
The Muntu 4x4 Trail rated 3 to 5.

Depending on where or how people want to sleep for the weekend, this will determine the venue as well, but I suggest that a central point is used and then each day we go out on spider 4x4 trails, near a small town called Molteno, there is this farm that has this nice venue with a huge thatched lapa on it, this is where The Molteno 4x4 Challenge events used to be held, but have not been for a few years.

No use going to a place that has flat land and mine dumps.

I will post some pic's from the various trails, they cater for everybody, because we must remember that not everybody has the same knowledge when off 4x4ing and some of these trails above will only have a R50. entrance fee, this money will be donated to the local people of the area, The Hangklip Mountain 4x4 Trail we normally just hand out clothes to the herdsmen and young men.

Just a thought, there is also Ferndale down from Cathcart which is also a nice camping venue, they have one huge lodge and also sometimes put people up in their home as well.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Queenstown

The Rocky Mountain 4x4 Trail. rated 2 to 5
The Bamboeshoek 4x4 Trail. rated 3 to 5
The Hangklip Mountain 4x4 Trail. rated 2 to 5
The Quarry 4x4 Trail rated 3 to 5.
The Muntu 4x4 Trail rated 3 to 5.

Depending on where or how people want to sleep for the weekend, this will determine the venue as well, but I suggest that a central point is used and then each day we go out on spider 4x4 trails, near a small town called Molteno, there is this farm that has this nice venue with a huge thatched lapa on it, this is where The Molteno 4x4 Challenge events used to be held, but have not been for a few years.

No use going to a place that has flat land and mine dumps.

I will post some pic's from the various trails, they cater for everybody, because we must remember that not everybody has the same knowledge when off 4x4ing and some of these trails above will only have a R50. entrance fee, this money will be donated to the local people of the area, The Hangklip Mountain 4x4 Trail we normally just hand out clothes to the herdsmen and young men.

Just a thought, there is also Ferndale down from Cathcart which is also a nice camping venue, they have one huge lodge and also sometimes put people up in their home as well.

simoan
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Post by Tristan »

I must agree with Simon.
Central considering most people are either in Cape Town or Joburg.
Prices seem good to for those of us without deep pockets.
Seems that time depending there are also lots of different trails to experience, maybe those who can would like to stay on a little longer :idea:
ImageImageImage
Niel

Post by Niel »

Let us keep the voting open for another week or so and them move further from there. At this point it seems there are 2 favorable dates, Oct 08 and Easter 09. How does the rest of the voters feel abought these two dates. Can the voters for other dates maybe indicate the one they would prefer please?
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Julle mense moet vote, dan kan Niel die volgende post op sit waar ons gaan, dan kan julle nog n' vote opsit, ek dink die Oct hierdie jaar sal mooi lekker wees, moet ek met my Hilux of die Jeep kom?

Ek hoop dat die mense sal kom, want dit kan probeer n' mooi naweek wees.
Dan kan ons sien hoe is wie want al van jou weet hoe ek is :oops:

simoan
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Simon i thought you didnt understand Afrikaans.WELL SPOKEN :)
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I only understand it when I write it from English and try and translate it to Afrikaanse, however waarmeer julle mense dit skryf, ek verstaan dit nie, my taal is nie so goed nie :oops:

simoan
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

You are still doing good.My English is also not that well.But we all are trying.
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

I must admit I battle with the Afrikaans to :oops:
Its not so bad to understand Afrikaans when it comes to everyday sort of stuff but when guys start talking about technical stuff (which there is a lot of on this site) then its a whole new ball game.
HECK!!! the tech stuff is sometimes even hard to understand in English :!: :?
ImageImageImage
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Even I dont understand everything in Afrikaans and it is my home language :oops:
ImageImageImageImage
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: Hahaha!! guess I must not waste my time sending you a PM to translate then :D
ImageImageImage
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

I can try,but no promisess :)
ImageImageImageImage
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Must be the clan from that special club talking in a special afrikaanse code so that us bons cannot understand them :oops:

simoan
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Isn't this poll finished yet :?:
ImageImageImage
Irishman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Saldanha
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux Double Cab

Post by Irishman »

As usual we have drifted off topic but one of my hobbies is collecting great Afrikaans translations.
I am not knocking the language, but there are some good ones.
Many years ago a gent called Prof Terrablanch was tasked with compling Afrikaans technical dictionaries,and he came up with some classics
A carburettor became a vergasser, o.k close
A grill had him stumped he called it a rooster (no wors included)
A horn became a tooter etc.
When it came to flying he really went to town.A guy I flew with years ago was a helicopter instructor in the SAAF. He was a dyed in the wool Afrikanner, but he told me it was impossible to instruct in Afrikaans due to the long words devised by the Prof,and the quick reaction time required of a helicoptor pilot.
My all time favorite was the first time I landed in Cape Town. One of the guys I was with reckoned South Africa was organised, they even laid on transport to the brothels.He pointed to a taxi rank and sure enough on a sign it said "huur motors"
Niel

Post by Niel »

Gents, since there is two main dates that you selected, lets give the chaps that voted for the other dates the oppertunity to re vote for a week.

If October is selected I will personally not be able to attend due to a trip in September. This is not abought me and therefore I want to ask if there is someone that can take over the orginisation for the October 2008 date. :?:

Pls let me know
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Possible Venues For The National Hilux 4x4 Get Together

Should this event start off at a central point and then move from Province to Province each year or be at a central point each year?

Be relistic with your answers and discussions about this venue, how many people do you think will go to such an event?

Some ideas to discuss below

Most important is where?
Camping Option
Cottages, flats, farm house accommodation.
Flushing toilets
Longdrop
Spade system.
Must be a family event
Entry fee.
Maybe only an entry fee if we go to a farmers 4x4 trail on his land.
Maybe one of the fuel companies will sponsor fuel to a certain amount for each vehicle that takes part?

Who will help to contact businesses, companies, 4x4 related, tyres outlets etc for sponsorship in finance, items, products to use as lucky draw prizes, prizes and to pay for other related stuff to organize an event like this. If you do not want to display your ideas or names here, then send me a PM or an email to bigballs@vodamail.co.za

Ladies and Gentlemen, Friends and fellow Snobs let this event happen and not just be something to chat about, I am sure that with the input of the special people from The Club this event will take place, depending on the where will also make the date easier to make as well, maybe the venue is already taken for the weekends that are discussed in the other thread about this topic.

We are awaiting your input

Family Dog would it be possible to post a topic on the various other 4x4 chat forums here in South Africa concerning this event once we have decided on a venue and date, then other people who drive Toyota Hilux 4x4 vehicle's will also have the chance to take part.

Did you guys see that article in the SA 4X4 about all the Landrovers who has a meeting, it was a cool looking photo, now just think they could have been Hilux's?

We can also get the various 4x4 magazine envolved as well.

Awaiting your comments please

simoan
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Possible Venues For The National Hilux 4x4 Get Together

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Have indicated my prefences on the vote otherwise my main concern is the consideration of Queenstown as the venue. It doesn't look so central to me :x , actually a bit of a slep for Kaapies and not he most direct route for Gautengers. :(

Sorry that I haven't come up with an alternative venue :oops: , my knowledge of the other Provinces is not so Lekker :cry:

My 2Cw :shock:

Rich :wink:
(Sorry Simon!)
SYRON CONVERSIONS

What gets my dagger working is when you read the various 4x4 magazines and all you see are GP and MP registration license numbers on the vehicle's, it seems that everything seems to happen in The Transvaal, look at That Bridgestone event in The SA 4X4 Magazine and such, please note I am not saying that Queenstown must be the venue, but to be equal to everybody would somebody please tell me at which point is the centre of South Africa from everywhere in South Africa.

I prefer to be a person who does things and not wait for other people to do them.

simoan
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Dadz Toy wrote:Have indicated my prefences on the vote otherwise my main concern is the consideration of Queenstown as the venue. It doesn't look so central to me :x , actually a bit of a slep for Kaapies and not he most direct route for Gautengers. :(

Sorry that I haven't come up with an alternative venue :oops: , my knowledge of the other Provinces is not so Lekker :cry:

My 2Cw :shock:

Rich :wink:
(Sorry Simon!)
Rich I must disagree with your geographical sense a bit :?
Lets start by assuming that most guys on this forum are either from either Cape Town or Joburg area.
Then have a look at the most direct route between the two ie. the N1
Now look to see what town sits roughly half way to me it appears to be Colesburg (I personally dont have a clue if there are any 4x4 trails around there)
But as Simon has shown here there are plenty trails not only in Queenstown but the greater Queenstown area aswell. For example Molteno I think is only About 100km maybe less from Colesburg and I stand to be corrected but seem to recall that there are some nice trails in that area.
I think some more ideas would be great :!: always nice to see some pics to.
Lets be glad we live in a beautiful country so bit of a journey to get to a destination is not so bad :wink:
ImageImageImage
SYRON CONVERSIONS

These photo's are from Eersterust please note, this is only a braaing area for the various 4x4 trails on the farm, if you dare.

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Do you see the Hilux in this photo?

simoan
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hey guys, please vote for one of the two main dates, preferably the one in 2009! :mrgreen:

I will not be able to make the 2008 date. Swambo will be 8 months pregnant then.

But, like Niel said, its also not about me.
ImageImage
SYRON CONVERSIONS

2009 is better, it will give us all more time to organiaze things with the companies and business groups for sponsorship and everything.

Or are you just wanting to share a dop and chop :wink:

simoan
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Why can I only see the last picture :?:
ImageImageImage
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

2009 Easter is good for me. With SWAMBO starting a new job next month, the leave wont be available, but hey it's not about her. :lol:

I wonder what she would think if I left her at home :twisted: (hope she doesn't read this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Scooter for the last 13 years I have left my wife at home when I take my holiday, we cannot get it at the same time, what is a holiday if your wife comes along anyway :twisted:

simoan
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Simon, dude, can I borrow your wife to give SWAMBO a few lessons on how to let me go alone :?: :twisted: :twisted:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Niel

Post by Niel »

OK, so the poll is closed and it seems that the EASTER 09 date was the most selected option. :) We must now get a few suggestions for a venue. I think it will be fair that we look for a venue that is more or less an equal distance for all to travel, have a route or two that we can drive and have camping as well as "formal accommodation".

Return to “Events Calender”