Dog grovelling to go gravelling

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Dog grovelling to go gravelling

Post by Mud Dog »

Not quite a trail report, but this is probably the most appropriate forum.

Decided to go and play a little again at "Diggers", an old quarry outside EL. Just my son, his girlfriend and myself .... not always a good idea, always better to have another vehicle or two along in case something goes wrong or you need a recovery. I am however used to 'playing' alone and am cognisant of the hazards. Don't take chances if you are alone. Without trying to be condescending, I've added a few hints for the benefit of any inexperienced newcomers. Thought it might be helpful. :wink:

This is a bit of an overview of the 'playground'
IMG_3917.JPG
Going in I decided to leave the tyre pressures at 2.2 bar because of possible sidewall damage on the rocky surfaces in places.
IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3922.JPG
Choosing the 'softer' line to avoid undercarriage damage .... that drop-off was about 700mm.
IMG_3923.JPG
A standing start. No run-up is required for an obstacle like this.
IMG_3924.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG
Just a little bit of spin on the rear wheels going over (no sandbags, no diff lock)
IMG_3927.JPG
It helps to be able to judge a drop-off (and choose your line) ......
IMG_3930.JPG
.... so that you don't scrape the undercarriage. (I came close but did'nt touch.)
IMG_3931.JPG
Use your motor engaged in 1st gear 4L to run down an incline. Assist to slow the vehicle with light braking if necessary.
IMG_3932.JPG
My son took the pics while his girlfriend decided she would 'co-pilot' :D . This was her first off-road experience, and at first she was apprehensive, tense, solemn faced and holding onto the seat like it was about to eject. Within 15mins she was a lot more relaxed, even asked "Can we do that one again?" Displaying a smile of enjoyment here ...
IMG_3935.JPG
Sometimes on a sandy / gravel / slippery surface one needs a little 'punch' to breach an obstacle. Lifting the wheels off is sometimes unavoidable, but not ideal ....
IMG_3936.JPG
A little uphill axle twister ... this is where one tends to spin the wheels a little if you don't have difflock (like me :( ). One should not take a run at an obstacle like this, but even just a little momentum helps. :wink:
IMG_3937.JPG
A little too much 'punch' here, intentionally done for the pic :twisted: and watching the revs (you can't see anything but sky in front of you anyway :D: ) .... I only tramped it a little at the last moment. :wink:
IMG_3938.JPG
A little downhill axle twister ..... if a wheel lifts or when downward pressure on any wheel is lost there is a tendency to start 'free-wheeling' since the motor can no longer hold the vehicle back. Light braking assistance almost acts like a difflock and eliminates the 'free-wheel' action, maintaining traction.
IMG_3940.JPG
I tried to show them how it should be done, without lifting the wheels, but still ended up lifting them a little. At times it can be a fine ballance between not having enough grunt or having too much ... I'd rather have too much than loose traction and slide backward. Should this happen, engage reverse gear and let the vehicle run backward against compression.
IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
Again, purposely too much :D:
IMG_3943.JPG
.... but this time perfect .... no slip, no lift, no dust! :wink:
IMG_3944.JPG
It's possible that the views of others on the advice offered may differ and may well have merit. Just remember that I am self taught over years of experience in what works for me and what does'nt ..... consider any additional advice, contradictory to mine or not. :wink:

Now this is one of the few obstacles that I have not yet tackled on this course, only because of the steps. I've done similar or worse inclines, but the steps will cause one to 'hop' and the loose shale does'nt offer enough traction without lockers. Spinning wheels could easily result in side-tracking off course and momentum is not really an option if you don't want to damage the vehicle. I still hope to conquer this one! :D: :wink:
IMG_3945.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Dog grovelling to go gravelling

Post by OOOOMS »

Great Andy! Is that a smoke is see.....? Thought you quit? :shock:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Dust, Mark! .... Dust from the months of cobwebs!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dust from the months of cobwebs!!
Ah, thought is was steam....from sweating.... :lol:

Nice pics Andy :thumbup:
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Nice pictures.
Looks like u and the kids had some fun in the sun :thumbup:
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Nice Pics! Dis bly darem net lekker om n 4x4 te ry!
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hey Andy, looks like you had as much fun as me yesterday :)

Great action pics !
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Hey Andy,looks like you had as much fun as me yesterday :)

Great action pics !
I doubt it Andrew .... you must have been 'throbbing' with excitement while crawling over those obstacles! :lol: If I had your machine yesterday I would have tackled that last obstacle without a doubt! :D: :wink:

Return to “Trail Reports”