BergKraal 4x4 - 17/06/2011

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

BergKraal 4x4 - 17/06/2011

Post by SideKick »

Hi all

First off . . . HOW COME NO ONE HAS EVER MENTIONED THIS TRAIL :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

It is THE ULTIMATE in 4x4 trails, I kid you not. I felt like a little kid going to Disney World, but I was in a 4x4 and could drive any obstacle I could imagine! :dance1:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this report. It is an extremely long trail (45KM +) and I don't even think I remember everything . . .

I uploaded some of the photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... e83984efcb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the pics as you read. But we ran out of batteries before the end of the trail after sun down that evening.

The trail rates a 3 to 5.

We started the trail the morning at 9. It is a guided trail by Frikkie, the owner of the Trail. We were joined by two Pajero's. 1 x 3l V6 and 1 x 3.5l V6.

The trail starts with dirt (You get everything here. Dirt, sand, rock, mud, clay and water :yahoo: ). Some of the obstacles we skipped like the Paddagat, as it was too deep, more than 1m. The trail is ideal during summer. Some of the obstacles is man made, but most is natural. We drove along the dirt trail for about two and a half hours, and then took a quick potty and beer break.We then started up and over the hill. Nice rock obstacles going over :thumbup: Once over, you're back on a dirt trail. After a while we came to a extra nice axle twister. It was the first time that Frikkie told us to rather get out and go check if we're going to do it. Obviously we did :D: Afterwards he told us that at the Maskam Challenge, you get extra points if you do it in reverse . . . So guess what we did :angel: Was AWESOME :twisted: That's where the 3l had some battery problems. So on we went, some more dirt and rock (the 3l got stuck on some rocks again), and the we came to an open field with strips of grass running up it. Only after we were lined up next to each other, did we realise that IT'S AN OFFROAD DRAG STRIP :!: :dance1: VERY AWESOME. I lost unfortunately . . . My 4y didn't stand a chance against the V6's :x And then the terrain turned to sand. A couple of sand and wooden obstacles like a seesaw and log bridge (And the 3.5l that got stuck on the log bridge). And guess what came next. A circular track in the sand that you take turns driving for time :yahoo: Won that one :thumbup: I did it in 41 seconds. The 3l did it in 43 and took out one of the beacons, and the 3.5l did it in 45 and took out two of the beacons :clap: AWESOME INDEED!!! Then comes a whole series of sand obstacles that takes another hour to do. Proud to say that I got up two of them that the Pajero's couldn't :thumbup: From there it's some plain driving to the half way mark at the cave for some beers and braai. The 3l got a flat somewhere along the line to there as well :problem: We skipped the braai and only had some beers as we were a bit behing schedule.

The second half back we skipped some of the side tracks as we were still behind schedule. We came to a hill with a series of awesome obstacles up and down its sides. Some we skipped and some we did. One of the obstacles, steps made from wood, kept throwing me off.

Anyways, here I loose track of the day. On and on and on and on we went. You think you are done, but the obstacles just keep comming! Rock, sand, dirt, muddy river, you name it. Our batteries for the camera died there, so no more pics, sorry! We went on till it became dark, and skipped quite a few of the obstacles then. We drove out of there at around 7:30.

ALL THAT FOR R150!!! :shock2: I'm definately going back there next year :!: :!: :!: Maybe even take part in the Maskam Challange :thumbup:

We went that weekend for the Lions 4x4 Challenge, thinking BergKraal the Friday will be a warm-up for the main event the Saturday. But no matter how great Saterday was, BergKraal was definately the main event of the weekend for us :!: :!: :!:

Big upps Frikkie :thumbup: See you soon :!:
Attachments
BergKraal 4x4 GPS Track.zip
BergKraal 4x4 GPS Track
(51.8 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Re: BergKraal 4x4 - 17/06/2011

Post by Animul »

Looks awesome!! Something which the Jeep will love .... :boss:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dankie Stephan, nice pics :thumbup:

Hoekom het jy van die stompe afgery, was jou navi missing :tease: ?

En presies waar is die plek?
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Post by SideKick »

OOOOMS wrote:Dankie Stephan, nice pics :thumbup:

Hoekom het jy van die stompe afgery, was jou navi missing :tease: ?

En presies waar is die plek?
Daai stompe was hoopeloos te nat en glag :thumbdown:

Die plek is net buite Vredendal. Hulle het kamp plek en n gaste huisie op die plaas ook :thumbup:

Sien nou "Vredendal" is n bitjie klein geskryf op daai sattelite pic wat ek opgesit het. Dit wys net hoe groot daai trail eintlik is :!:
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

:thumbup: Tx
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kraaifontein
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Kat »

Nice pics stephan, seems in all those pics TOYOTA leads the way as they always do!!!!!
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Bergkraal is n lekker kamp plek, Stephan. :thumbup: Ek kan sien jy het jouself geniet. :yahoo: Die foto's vertel n storie en die eienaar gaan uit sy pad om jou tuis te laat voel. :bye:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

cheetah wrote:Bergkraal is n lekker kamp plek, Stephan. :thumbup: Ek kan sien jy het jouself geniet. :yahoo: Die foto's vertel n storie en die eienaar gaan uit sy pad om jou tuis te laat voel. :bye:
Ja nee :thumbup: Frikkie was GREAT :clap:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Baie mooi .... daai lyk nou soos 'n trail behoort te lyk! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Ek moet se Oom Frikkie mag maar n pick-up ry!!! Julle manne moes dit kon sien om te glo. :thumbup:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Looks awesome Stephan. I'm definitely gonna put aside the time to pay them a visit.
:thumbup:
Andre de Jager
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: Hilux 2011 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC (Auto)

Post by Andre de Jager »

Baie cool trail. Julle is bederf daar innie Kaap.
"THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO ANY PLACE WORTH GOING, EXCEPT IN A HILUX"
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Bevange roete! :thumbup:
Dink ek moet my volgende kamp tripie daarheen beplan!
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters

Return to “Trail Reports”