Waterval - Porterville -Western Cape

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Waterval - Porterville -Western Cape

Post by pietpetoors »

This weekend we went to play at the farms Waterval and Laatson near Porterville. It was a wet weekend with a lot of mud. I got stuck once and had to be recovered, luckily by another Hilux and not a Landy.

Here are some photographs. The full report is at http://www.pietpetoors.com/waterval

Me getting stuck, this was just before I got stuck. I am still trying to get a photograph of the recovery.

This is what the recovery vehicle looked like afterwards

And the big boys playing in the sand
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Waterval - Porterville

Post by Niel »

Hi Piet

Is the light green Toy a 2x4? last pic on your post.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja, it is doing well for a 2x4 hey?

No, not really. We fitted 35mm spacer behind the wheels. That pushed out the wheels from the hubs. The normal hub cap at the front where the hub is looked strange because the hub was sitting far inside of the cap and there was this huge open space. So the owner bought the same caps as what they use on the rear wheels and fitted it on the front. So the manual hubs are fully covered. The caps can easily be removed. When he goes off-road he just take the cap off, engage the hubs and put the cap back on.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Waterval - Porterville -Western Cape

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

That person with the red Hilux with the front wheels in the air while he was trying to get up that small incline, I recon that he did not get over, am I correct, it sure looks like you guys had fun, must have been lots of rain looking at the clouds, nice to see other people also enjoying their Hilux vehicle's as well.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja Simon, Hentie did not go over it, it was just for the fun of it. We had stacks of fun.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

pietpetoors wrote:Ja, it is doing well for a 2x4 hey?

No, not really. We fitted 35mm spacer behind the wheels. That pushed out the wheels from the hubs. The normal hub cap at the front where the hub is looked strange because the hub was sitting far inside of the cap and there was this huge open space. So the owner bought the same caps as what they use on the rear wheels and fitted it on the front. So the manual hubs are fully covered. The caps can easily be removed. When he goes off-road he just take the cap off, engage the hubs and put the cap back on.
Piet

How are they spaced? is it an adapter ring that screws onto the existing studs with new studs fitted for securing the wheel on is it a simple spacer that still uses the original studs to fasten the wheels?

When I bought my Lux (unknown to me) the previous owner standard IFS Lux mags (the ones that is now on my trailer, similar to yours) but the front had to be spaced 12 mm to get the rimm to clear the brake calliper. It worked fine as those mags used the Toy type nuts that have the threaded sleeve going right through the rimm so it had enough tread left on the stud.

But then I went to a mag place to buy my current mags. They sold me a set with the right offset for a SFA (according to them) and they fitted it for me. I never checked what they were doing so I did not see the spacer.

Then 2 or 3 months later I took the front wheels of to replace the disk pads. I then realised that these mags using the normal wheel nuts was only using about two turns of thread on the stud (less then 5 mm) When I removed the spacer ring I realised that these mags was also catching the calliper the same as the originals.

Now I had a problem. I tried LA rip-off, Mega-bugs, $afari $entre, some tyre places and a few other spares outlets but no one knew about any longer studs for a SFA Hilux. This necessitated me to have special longer studs made or buy adapter rings. The problem with adapter rings is that they are typically more then 30mm wide which would have made my offset way too wide. At the end I had longer studs made and stamped at the CSIR but the exercise cost me over R1K for 12 studs :cry: :cry: :cry:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Looking at this picture gave me a tear in my eye. :wink:

I am so frustrated at this stage I can't wait to gety my Lux running agian and out into nature. :( :(
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

It is an adapter ring with 12 holes in it. 6 of them you use to fix it to the vehicle on the standard studs and sunken nuts. The other 6 holes gets studs in, similar to the standard studs. These rings are very expensive. Most places will charge you like R3000 a set. I can get the material for around R500, a set of studs will cost you R200, but they quoted 9 hours of labor @R250 per hour to machine it. The labor then makes it too expensive.

Are you sure long studs would be safe?
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Hi, Pieter dankie vir die info. Ons gaan nou die naweek van die 01 Oct. So, ja ek kan nie wag nie.
Niel

Post by Niel »

dit n very nice plek sal so n pic of 2 bysit van hoe dit nou daar lyk
Niel

Post by Niel »

pics - the ablutions in the camping area is very neat and clean. It is a nice clime to the 22nd waterval :thumbup:
Attachments
Late evening visitors
Late evening visitors
045 [1600x1200].JPG
025 [1600x1200].JPG
012 [1600x1200].JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We used top have a couple of your "late night visitors" (Nyagi - Jennet) that used to frequent the trees in our yard at night and catch the doves in their nests. The dogs eventually chased them off. Very opportunistic little fellas and quite often set up home in peoples roofspaces! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Andre du preez »

Baie dankie Niel vir die pic's. Ek moet se ek kan nie wag nie. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

My brother-in-law was there this weekend past. Says it's awesome there. Will def be planning a weekend there soon.
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

MOET n mens vir n naweek gaan of kan mens maar n day trippie maak? wil dalk daar n draai maak die 14 Okt 2011 met n pal of 2 vir die dag. So laat weet maar julle denke. :alarmclock: :training: :writing:
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Hilux 1 wrote:MOET n mens vir n naweek gaan of kan mens maar n day trippie maak? wil dalk daar n draai maak die 14 Okt 2011 met n pal of 2 vir die dag. So laat weet maar julle denke. :alarmclock: :training: :writing:
Tertius, I guess it boils down to what you want to do while you're there. Yes, it's only an hour's drive away, but the hikes are quite long from what I hear (apparently a 4hr stroll will only get you to waterfall #14, and then there are still 8 more to see). m2cw
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

So i take there is no more 4x4 track just hiking?
What a pity.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by the BuTch3R »

Hilux 1 wrote:So i take there is no more 4x4 track just hiking?
What a pity.
I'm really not sure? Pieter should be able to confirm.
I'm just saying that the waterfalls seem to be the main attraction for most, so would be great to incorporate this into your visit by staying at least 2 days, 4x4 playground or not.
But, whatever floats your boat.... ;-)
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Last time I was there was Jan this year and the 4x4 route were still there. The 4x4 route does not go to the waterfalls. The waterfalls you use pootivaar to get there.

If they allow day visitors you can do a day trip since there is a very nice area to picnic or braai at the main camping site.

Last time I went we camped at the Boskamp which is nice and private, away from the main crowd
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel

Post by Niel »

AFAIK, the trail is still there
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Andre du preez »

Kan nie wag nie volgende naweek die tyd sal my Lux al gepak wees. Louis wat saam my gaan was al daar.
Die trail is 'n Go,go,go!!! Sal maar 'n paar pic's vir julle neem.
woema
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gansbaai
Vehicle: Isuzu LX 300 dc

Post by woema »

Tertius, weet een van julle waar ek detail kan kry van die 4x4 dag van die 13/14de Oktober? Ons wil gaan kamp en sommer die 4x4 ding doen as my bakkie dit toelaat. As ek die foto's so kyk, gaan my dieseldonkie swaarkry daar, maar ek sal graag wil probeer. Enigiemand wat kontak details het vir verblyf by die watervalle en inskrywings detail, laat weet asb!
woema
african dust
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Seychelles + Montagu
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 4x4 22R LTD. Land cruiser FJ60, 1981, old and tough. Prado 150 vx v6.

Post by african dust »

looks like lots of mud and lots of fun. do you ever work ? still planning to head to farm this week ?

Return to “Trail Reports”