Trail Query

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
gary955
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2012 Raider V6 4x4, after market bashplate, snorkel, OL Bumper & front spacers

Trail Query

Post by gary955 »

Hi,

I'm going to be in the Pilgrim's Rest area mid February and I'm looking for a trail/s
to do while we're there.
The closest I can find is White Waters in Hazyview:
http://www.safarinow.com/destinations/h ... rails.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(not a lot of info . . . :( )

Has anyone done this trail & are there any closer to Pilgrim's ?

Cheers

Gary
Cheers

Gaz
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Re: Trail Query

Post by Stubs »

Hi Gary, I was up there in August with my truck, did the kruger etc, make sure you make a turn to Gods Window and from there carry on up to the Potholes - Blyde river canyon, stunning, then from there you can turn left out of the potholes and you take the last gravel road at the end of the town to the right and this takes you all the way down the valley back to Pilgrims rest, is a nice circular drive out for the day, not sure of any trails as didnt have enough time, make sure you pull in at the Royal Hotel there in Pilgrims for a well deserved cold draught at the end of your day......

cheers
Stubs
:dance1:
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Hi Gary

There's a trail called River Wild, which is close to Sudwala Caves ( also worth visiting if you haven't been there ). The trail is a bit hectic in places where you'd need decent lift and 4x4 experience.

Haven't done the one in Hazyview, but believe is quite nice, especially when wet.

According to T4A there's a 4wd trail at Crystal Springs!!!!! Maybe check with them.

More for the overlanding style, there's a gravel road that runs below God's Window that takes you right upto Mariepskop, nice easy overlanding day out. You can pick up the road just outside Sabie and it cuts across the Graskop/Hazyview road then onto the R533 and back track a bit towards Graskop and the gravel road turns off on your right.

If going via Long Tom Pass, there's a dirt road opposite the entrance to Misty Hills Hotel, that goes down towards the Sabie river and then runs along the river pass Horseshoe falls and joins the Lone Creek Falls road just outside Sabie Town.

Check T4A for these two trips / roads to give you a better idea.

While in Pilgrims, you need to go and have a mampoer milkshake at the little resturant next to the petrol station.

Enjoy the trip.
4x4Maniac
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Yip also did Riverwild on my 2nd Anniversary, was a lekker trail, don't remember difficulties, but stayed over at Waterfall Boven, a nice small town, with lots of history...
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Foksie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Fortuner 4x4

Post by Foksie »

With all the floodings and road erosion you dont need to go far just follow the road i am sure you will do a bit of 4x4.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

@ Werner, 90% of the trail wasn't too bad, just a bit overgrown and unkept which scratched the vehicles a bit.

The section that was hectic was the "shongololo" ( perenial river ) and that was quite badly erroded from the recent rains. The problem there is that you can't turn around and there are no escape routes.
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

Good day George

Have a look at this trail. This is one of the trail I still want to do this year.
2013-01-22-065.jpg
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg Gauteng
Vehicle: Toyota Prado 120 V6

Post by Johan Havenga »

Also try the jeep track from Kampersrus up the mountain to the radar station. I know it exist and spoke to people about it, but have very little info!
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

I was at Witwaters in Dec. Very nice trail in real lowveld nature. You cannot go wrong?
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Dingo wrote:Hi Gary

According to T4A there's a 4wd trail at Crystal Springs!!!!! Maybe check with them.
Die een by Crystal Springs is 'n klippaadjie. Defnitief nie die moeite werd om daarvoor te betaal nie. Rating kan nie meer as 1 wees nie :thumbdown: .
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

there is a trail out there , guided through forests.
i think its mac mac trails
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

It is the one I posted the info for.
gary955
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 2012 Raider V6 4x4, after market bashplate, snorkel, OL Bumper & front spacers

Post by gary955 »

Thanx for all the replies, look's like I may need a week in that area . . . :thumbup:

The one at Crystal Springs is a very rocky route, and not much of a 4x4 trail, but
the bridge at the bottom, to get to the trail was washed away about 2 years ago.
It's for this reason we were thinking of doing a dinkum 4x4 trail for a change up
that way.

Also had a chat with Bushcanic's wife about the White Waters trail. Sounds pretty
excellent, so I think we'll give it a bash and see how it goes.
We'll be 2 Hilux's & a Fortuner - all V6's :yahoo:

Will let you know

Gary
Cheers

Gaz
Gerrie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1998 Land Rover Disco 1

Post by Gerrie »

Gary

When are you planning on doing this trip. I need to come up that way to do a story for the magazine, so it would be perfect to tag along with a group that is already going. Let me know if you are keen.

gerrie@driveout.co.za

Return to “Trail Reports”