Farm Trail 4 May 2013 - WOW!

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Farm Trail 4 May 2013 - WOW!

Post by Baasvark »

So I heard about an initiative in our area to raise some funds for the needy (in our area). Word only came to me on thursday but I thought I would go out and introduce myself to the people involved and see what it was all about.

A couple of guys have come together and once a year they host a 4x4 day on a farm nearby. All the proceeds are used to help some of the needy folk in our immediate vicinity. The owner of the property, Ras, is the man behind all of this and he also hosts an offroad day for bikers using the same same principles.

Anyhow, the actual day was last saturday where 18 vehicles took part. Because there were those who weren't able to make it at that time, Ras made an exception and hosted a 2cnd day (yesterday). We were only 3 vehicles but it shows the dedication that these guys show in willing to give up their day for only 3 vehicles.

Anyhow, I never intended in taking part. I have no experience whatsoever in actual 4x4 trails and as mentioned before, I just wanted to say Hi (as well as look at the venue as a potential host for a Free State GTG). When I got to the farm, a chap with the name of P.W was sent to fetch me and I was unceremoniously informed that it was do or die! Ther would be no spectating for me.

Now truth be told what I did was probably more that a little irresponsible! As mentioned before I have NO experience other than basic farm experience. I also hadn't made provision for a proper camera so please excuse the (potentially) poor photo's. A work collegue of mine used her phone and I think she did a sterling job none the less!

Due to the fact that I arrived late, I only joined in the middle of the trail after many (most?) obstacles had been done. My first obstacle was a steep descent with a rocky lip that tapered down to a small river.

Image Link Broken

I had informed everyone about my inexperience before hand so Ras kindly got into my vehicle with me and proceeded to coach me down the obstacle - with guys at he bottom ensuring that my line was correct etc.

From there we proceeded by driving in the stream to a more technical obstacle where we had to go down a small rock step while squeezing through between two rock boulders on either side whilst turng to the right at the same time.
My photographer did not manage to capture the obstacle up close as this was a first for her as well and I think the experience was just as overwhelming for her too (i.e. she also needed spare underware on a few occasions. :twisted: ) But we have the Jeep in action coming on behind us (where it belongs :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

Image Link Broken

From there we proceeded to wind our way down the stream over rock banks and some rocky axle twisters.

The next obstacle was a climb out of the stream and I actually have no idea how to describe the obstacle. It involved some technical aspects as there was some axle twisting and we also had to make sure that we did not damage our vehicles on the sides. Initially I was sure that Ras was joking when he said I had to go through as I was convinced that the space was too small for a vehicle to go through. So we sent Johan first (with the Jeep) and afterwards I went followed by Wessel with an old Range Rover that really impressed me!

Image Link Broken

What goes up must come down so we came down again on a similar one to find ourselves in the stream once again. Next was an obstacle called Rooilippie! Wessel is an experienced trailer and commented that this would probably be a 5+ obstacle. He attempted to go up but was unsuccessful. He was of the opinion that some of the obstacles on the trail were a little extreme but definately do-able. Just the thought of going up was enough for me to require new underware but little did I know that soon I would have to come down that very same obstacle..... :shock2:

Let me just take a moment to describe the next photo of said obstacle. Acually I don't know how! The photo doesn't do it any justice at all!!! You start with a drop of about 500 - 800mm. Verticle. From there it slants out down towards the river. The thing is that you need to come down exactly straight, but the drop (as can bee seen on the photo) is not exactly the same height all through. If I can remember correctly ( not too sure -was too busy applying some serious sphincter control :laugh2: ) as your wheels go down the verticle part, one side hits the slope first which causes your vehicle to lean over quite a bit to the other side.So not only do you have to contend with a steep downhill, but you are tilted over to the side as well. The instructions given to me were to come down straight & slow, then as soon as the vehicle started to slide - leave everything - brakes & clutch :shock: or else if I hit the brakes the vehicle could flip over forward :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: . This goes against every normal driving instinct but I did exactly that and everything went smoothly. Of course, when I hit the bottom everyone cheered then burst out laughing - apparently something to do with the expression on my face as well as physically watching someone crap himself :blink:

(I'm having difficulty loading the next photo, will try a little later). Seems our internet access is down so I'll complete the report later.

Ok back on track. The photo mentioned above is the one so kindly posted by F_D for me so I won't post it again.

After this obstacle we proceeded to a number of axle twisters. I heard some pretty nasty sounds coming from my truck's suspension - don't hope I damaged anything!

Image Link Broken
What impressed me was the range of articultion that the Range Rover had. My Lux couldn't match it :oops:

The following photo is just one of the places we went down. We were basically just playing around.

Image Link Broken

All in all it was an enjoyable day. Most of the obstacles are natural. The few photo's I managed to take were only a few of the obstacle I managed to do.

While I don't advocate doing what I did with no experience whatsoever - it was an eye opener with regards to the capabilities of our vehicles! I don't think I'll be doing this on a regular basis with The Hulk, but I'll definately rig Baasvark up for the future...
Last edited by Baasvark on Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Farm Trail 4 May 2013 - WOW!

Post by Family_Dog »

Shane, is this the image?
Shane.jpg
(195.7 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

:thumbup: Thanks Uncle E , I'm currently using my cell and it has a screen the size of my thumb nail! Very frustrating!
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Congrats Shane on coming through your baptism by fire! :thumbup: :D:

Looks like fun, though, ..... I like! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

There is nothing like that first serious 4x4 experience. Quite often I wish I could experience the thrill of that first time again.

Well done!
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

I have to agree with you Pieter, that first trail is a serious adrenalin rush. Well done Shane and thanks for the photo's...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Adrenalin rush, nice :celebrate: glad you had fun.
Takes me back to when I started doing 4x4 :shock2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: