Flying the LUX flag high

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Flying the LUX flag high

Post by dalkill »

Ok , so this weekend we decide to fish arniston.
Have not been there in more than a year, and was eager to try it out again. One of the few places where there is still some nice activity on some sand.

Sat morn we decide to fish Die Draad. Beach not accessible, and to get closer to it, you pay some foreign owners of SA land R100 per vehicle. be that as it may, we pay the invaders, and in we go. Now I have been told by those who use to frequent Die Draad before restrictions was imposed, that this is a bit of a trecherous piece of sand to drive. High dunes, loose sand... anyhow, I heard in June they closing down this route as well, cause the invaders plan to open abalone farm, thus it is now or never. Else I would have never fished at the legendary Draad, where beast from another dimension are reported to roam the seas.

As we enter, road still fairly OK, till I come around this one corner and see this small sand hill, with deep tracks. My heart starts racing, crew, helps me deflate to 1 bar. Never gone this flat before, but I thought I'm in for some tough terrain. One crew member goes ahead to chech if there is actually sand on the other side of this hill, and gives me the all clear. 4H, 1st... quick snap to second, and with no effort at all the 2.2 donkey sails over this hill as if it was not there. OK, that was not bad for start... so we soldier on and the sand gets a bit deeper, but terrain still fairly flat. around the next turn, notice says no vehicle access beyond this point, but I see track going ahead, yet, being the good citizen, Mr Shortpants, I turn off to the parking at the shore.

We whip out the binoculars, yep that is how far we still are from Die Draad, and I could still not see it with them. Anyhow, after 5min debate whether or not to tackle the +-5km walk, we all agree this is what we came for. Shed as much clothing as we could, and took the walk.
about 45min later, I made my first cast.... 1min later had my first fish on land. Nice size kolstert. OK so not a bad start. Couple of other "bankvis" caught by the crew. Got a call from another crew member who fished about 500 meter away, he caught two undersized steenbras, and lost another big one in the breakwater. I decide this is what I came for and head over there. But alas, it was failry dead.

Walking the way back, we stopped in between to fish spots that looks good. Eventually make it back to the lux, body aching, eyeballs sunburnt, dehydrated... OK so now I did it. fished Die Draad. Never again thought !!!. AS we sitting in the lux, an inspector of sorts, came to check for our tickets. He then told us we are allowed to drive further, which after having some lunch, we did just that. Dunes got a bit high, but the sand was pretty hard. With the wheels on one bar I have never felt the lux breeze over sand like she did. I usually go down to about 1.5, but 1 bar is definitely the business.

Anyhow fished some more, then the crew calls it a day. We all had not slept since thurs evening. So one our way back I round the last corner to find a buddy of ours in a colt 2.4 petrol, trying to get up this fairly steep hill. Not dune but sand track in between the bush. I see him go up about midway, and then he digs into the sand. Reverse back down tries again. Gets the front wheels over the crest of the hill, then digs in. Couple of more attempts, and my heart racing to think, if the 2.4 can't do it, how will the 2.2 donkey. They give way and I'm told to go ahead. Asked my buddy to give me the all clear, reverse around the corner, 4L, second gear, off I go. Engine shouting at 5000 rpm, sand flying outside the window, crew cheering me on, fanbelt screeching, she hops along the hill with me being airborne a couple of times. On the crest she feels like she digging in, and I shout out, "you can do it madcar, you can do it" , and with them words of encouragement, she trots over the hill, without breaking a sweat. AS I stop on the top, with a humongous grin on my face, the other driver's son stood there, and all he said.... "it becuase it's a hilux".... that right there makes all the 60km 3rd gear uphill, 4hr 250km journey all worth it. The lux is truly a trooper.

And then it happened. The thing I thought would never happen. I was giving advice to someone else one how to handle an obstacle. Jeesh, me. the worlds most inexperienced offroad driver. This was a good day. Down the hill I shout instructions, and wham bam thank you mam, the colt is up the hill.

Got back to the house, had some supper, and in bed by 8pm.. never slept so soundly as I did that night....

OH, for anyone travelling N2 to / or past celedon, there is some major rd works happening. I had to stop twice, switch off the lux, and wait about 10 min.
Attachments
Image017.jpg
Image015.jpg
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Flying the LUX flag high

Post by Niel »

Was on the N2 a few weeks ago and hell what a wast of time, waited for 40 min (N2) in total after being stuck for 1h55 min in traffic Somester West/Strand :thumbdown:
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Re: Flying the LUX flag high

Post by dalkill »

on my way back I stopped over in stand for the traditional ice-cream at N'ice Cream Parlour.
I was parked in a little side road on a red line cause I could not find a parking for the lux + trailer. Some oke parked on the yellow box where I normally over with the trailer :(

Anyhow, I saw a lux with the right front wheel arch trim missing. Then I saw a hilux4x4.co.za sticker at the back. Was that any of you'll?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “Trail Reports”